• Fooloso4
    The "they" he was speaking of were his political opponents, for instance "Biden and the lunatic left" and "the radical left democrats".NOS4A2

Well, you may wish to "endow" his words with that meaning. Although given all that you have said about words, if you are not being hypocritical, it raises the question of why you would even bother to attempt damage control. After all what he says are just words.

When he says:

They’ve poisoned mental institutions and prisons all over the world, not just in South America, not just the three or four countries that we think about, but all over the world they’re coming into our country, from Africa, from Asia, all over the world they’re pouring into our country

it is clear that he is not talking about Biden or Trump's political opponents. Neither Biden or Trump's political opponents are pouring into our country, coming from Africa or Asia.

He falls in love with, marries, and has children with immigrants, so the notion that Trump is implying immigrants qua immigrants are poisoning the blood of the nation is just plain stupid.NOS4A2

No. What is stupid is your attempt to change what he said and argue that because he has a white trophy wife he is not saying what is saying. Note that Slovenia is not Africa or Asia or any of the "shithole countries" he refers to.

In typical fashion he oversteps and overstates. In this way he gets the support of white supremacists but can, and most likely will, deny he said what he said or mean what he said. He might even trot out Melania as evidence that he is not anti-immigration. She might even be coerced to make a public appearance and display her tortured smile before once again retreating from him.
  • RogueAI
    I agree with that.
  • NOS4A2

it is clear that he is not talking about Biden or Trump's political opponents. Neither Biden or Trump's political opponents are pouring into our country, coming from Africa or Asia.

As usual, all I have to do is take a gander and look at the context you suspiciously leave out, every single time. He's speaking about more than one "they" and you've simply pretended he is speaking about one.

"We've got a lot of work to do. You know when they let—I think the real number is 15/16 million people into our country—when they do that, we got a lot of work to do. They're poisoning the blood of our country, that's what they've done. They've poisoned—mental institutions and prisons all over the world, not just in South America, not just the three or four countries that we think about, but all over the world they’re coming into our country, from Africa, from Asia, all over the world they’re pouring into our country"

https://www.c-span.org/video/?532231-1/president-trump-holds-rally-durham-hampshire

No, immigrants are not letting in immigrants.

As for the second "they", the group who is coming into the country illegally, through sophistry and lies you pretend the he is speaking about are immigrants here, not the illegals.
  • Fooloso4
    As usual, all I have to do is take a gander and look at the context you suspiciously leave out, every single time. He's speaking about more than one "they" and you've simply pretended he is speaking about one.NOS4A2

It is the immigrants who are poison, not those who let them in. If the immigrants were not poison letting them in would not poison our blood.

On Truth Social he says "illegal immigrants". At the rally he says immigrants not illegal immigrants. This is exactly what I said he would do:

In this way he gets the support of white supremacists but can, and most likely will, deny he said what he said or mean what he said.Fooloso4
  • Michael
    Trump supporters don't seem ... cognizantGRWelsh

:up:
  • Michael
    The "they" he was speaking of were his political opponents, for instance "Biden and the lunatic left" and "the radical left democrats". He was saying they were poisoning the blood of the countryNOS4A2

https://truthsocial.com/@realDonaldTrump/posts/111593149429973351

ILLEGAL IMMIGRATION IS POISONING THE BLOOD OF OUR NATION. THEY’RE COMING FROM PRISONS, FROM MENTAL INSTITUTIONS — FROM ALL OVER THE WORLD.
  • NOS4A2

Your misrepresentations are the direct reason white spremacists are emboldened and think Trump is their guy. This has been confirmed by a member here who told me his cousins believed the “many sides” hoax, that he never condemned white supremacists and neo-Nazis,m. They believed the lie as it was told and amplified by anti-Trump propaganda. No doubt the entire scam regarding Trump’s racism or fascism has fueled more racism and fascism than anything Trump has ever done or said.
  • Michael
    And his Truth Social post reaffirmed what he was saying earlier at the rally; that illegal immigrants are "poisoning the blood of our nation"
  • NOS4A2

But the article said he was talking about immigrants, not illegal ones.
  • Michael
    But the article said he was talking about immigrants, not illegal ones.NOS4A2

And you said he was talking about Biden.

At least the article was closer to the mark.
  • NOS4A2

He was talking about Biden and his croneys. They are the direct cause of illegal immigration.
  • Michael
    He was talking about Biden and his croneys. They are the direct cause of illegal immigration.NOS4A2

He was talking about illegal immigrants. His Truth Social post makes that clear. You are misinterpreting his words at the rally.
  • NOS4A2

That’s false. His speech makes that clear.

We've got a lot of work to do. You know when they let—I think the real number is 15/16 million people into our country—when they do that, we got a lot of work to do. They're poisoning the blood of our country, that's what they've done. They've poisoned—mental institutions and prisons all over the world, not just in South America, not just the three or four countries that we think about, but all over the world they’re coming into our country, from Africa, from Asia, all over the world they’re pouring into our country"

Illegal immigration is a process, an act, not a group of people.
  • Michael
    Illegal immigration is a process, an act, not a group of people.NOS4A2

It's an act done by a group of people.
  • NOS4A2

“ You know when they let—I think the real number is 15/16 million people into our country—when they do that, we got a lot of work to do. They're poisoning the blood of our country, that's what they've done.”

Are you saying that illegal immigrants have let people into the country?
  • Michael
    Are you saying that illegal immigrants have let people into the country?NOS4A2

I'm saying that Trump said "ILLEGAL IMMIGRATION IS POISONING THE BLOOD OF OUR NATION".

Illegal immigration is "the migration of people into a country in violation of that country's immigration laws".

Therefore, Trump was saying that the migration of people into the U.S. in violation of U.S. immigration laws is poisoning the blood of the U.S.
  • NOS4A2

That’s true. The democrats refusing to enforce the laws of the country is poisoning the blood of the country. That’s what they’ve done.
  • Michael
    The democrats refusing to enforce the laws of the country is poisoning the blood of the country. That’s what they’ve done.NOS4A2

At best you can say that they're allowing the country to be poisoned, but the poison itself, according to Trump, is the illegal immigrants.

He has a problem with the foreign nationals who are coming into the country (illegally).
  • jgill
    Oh, man. If Trump would just employ the mechanism most of us have that mediates between what pops into consciousness and what comes out of our mouths . . .

What a choice upcoming. I cannot forgive Biden for ignoring the border crises.
  • NOS4A2

At best you can say that they're allowing the country to be poisoned, but the poison itself, according to Trump, is the illegal immigrants.

That is indeed all I'm saying. They (the politicians) are poisoning the country. Given the corrosive effects of crime, the metaphor is quite apt otherwise.
  • RogueAI
    That is indeed all I'm saying. They (the politicians) are poisoning the country. Given the corrosive effects of crime, the metaphor is quite apt otherwise.NOS4A2

This is beneath you. You know Trump is talking about immigrants when he uses words like "vermin" and "poisoning the blood of the country". And you also know what other famous fascist leader has used language like this. I think that if Trump actually said "subhuman" you would defend him. Maybe even if he said untermensch.
  • AmadeusD
    That is indeed all I'm saying. They (the politicians) are poisoning the country. Given the corrosive effects of crime, the metaphor is quite apt otherwise.NOS4A2

It's not, if we're to take your immediate next phrase seriously. Politicians are allowing is not the same as simply Politicians are doing something.
  • NOS4A2

This is beneath you. You know Trump is talking about immigrants when he uses words like "vermin" and "poisoning the blood of the country". And you also know what other famous fascist leader has used language like this. I think that if Trump actually said "subhuman" you would defend him. Maybe even if he said untermensch.

The vermin term was used in reference to communists and fascists.. I can’t think of a better term, myself. But yeah, illegal immigration is a big problem, like poison.
  • Mikie
    “Poisoning the blood.”

Yeah, nothing racist here guys. Just more liberal media putting Hitler’s rhetoric into his mouth.

Oh wait…he actually said that.
  • Fooloso4
    Your misrepresentations are the direct reason white spremacists are emboldened and think Trump is their guy. This has been confirmed by a member here who told me his cousins ...NOS4A2

So, some unnamed member told you that his cousin believed something. Well that settles it.

Funny how you go to such lengths to defend Trump. On the one hand pretending that words have no force, and on the other pretending he does not say what he says. Why? Because words do matter.
  • Paine
    Donald Trump is barred from Colorado’s 2024 primary ballot, the state Supreme Court rules.

That should give the Supreme Court something to look forward to.
  • Wayfarer
    TRUMP DECLARED INELIGIBLE ON COLORADO BALLOT UNDER SECTION 14 OF THE CONSTITUTION

https://edition.cnn.com/politics/live-news/colorado-trump-14th-amendment-12-19-23/index.html

This is huge. Yes, Trump can appeal, but if the decision is under appeal in the Supreme Court, how many States will admit him on the Ballot, with a decision pending.
  • NOS4A2

I love it, personally. The more they expose themselves as an anti-democratic force the better.
  • Wayfarer
    They're not anti-democratic. They just love the irony.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.