• Raul
    The ontology of the Self, a manifesto

The self is a phenomena resulting of a cognitive process within the brain that generates the "I", a self-referenced mental-object within brain’s mental "model of the world". The "I" is a representation of the Subject as Being, as owner, creator, agent and receptor of the intentionality of its mental objects. The linguistic representation of the “I” is not needed for a Self to happen.

The mental raise of the self: The mental “model-of-the-world” is a representational mirror of the external reality, a second mental mirror comes from the mental representation of “the others” that makes the self to happen/emerge when the mental process realizes the “invariants” between the other and I (confronting both mirrors). Two confronted mental mirrors that create the self’s singularity.

The Self bio-basis: The self process is confined to synchronous integrated information exchange activity between the cortex pre-frontal ventro-median area and the temporal and parietal (praecuneus) lobes.

Self and experience: The self is not required for experience to happen or to be communicated. A conscious and an unconscious brain can be able to communicate its emotions without being self-conscious, i.e. reflex actions.

Self and time: The Self process "emerges" gradually as our brain matures and as we grow as individuals in a proper stimulating cultural context.
    The Self is not something permanent, it dissolves gradually when we address our attention to specific tasks and/or non-referential thoughts. It dissolves and disappear as well when we sleep or die,

The self and evolution: The self makes us more adaptive and effective in our survival and homeostatic goals as a species.
    As consciousness, the Self enables even more complex (larger, longer, more realistic and more integrated) models-of-the-world as it enables, i.e., evaluating our judgments against the other’s.

Self and memory: Access to memories is necessary for the self to happen. More accurate and longer memories that contain external descriptions of the world (i.e. science) the more empowered the self is.

Self and society: The main role of the Self is played in society, when interacting with others: it enriches the culture of the societies generating richer cultural models-of-the world. It reinforces the social cohesion via a stronger integration of the individual.
    The self enables the feeling of self-confidence that evaluates our judgements, our decisions and actions so that can be self improved or communicated to others seeking improvement.

Self and the existential delusion: The Self is necessary for the emergence of the concepts of "infinite" and "finite" that foster the generation of fear, anxiety and depression as the "model-of-the-world" it generates is much larger than himself. This idea of confinement gets in conflict with its primordial instinct of survival. Systems of believes that sustain a teleological illusion mitigate these negative feelings (religions, intelligent design, spiritualism, mysticism,...).
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment