• Tommy Shiflett
    Somebody asked me to "prove that epistemology is the only correct way of thinking".

What is my best way to respond to this?
  • counterpunch

The first questions epistemology asks are: What can we know? and How can we know it? Those questions are, in my view, fundamental to any and every other philosophical argument. Knowing what is and is not available to knowledge, and being able to justify knowledge claims - is the essence of philosophy and the origin of wisdom.
  • Anthony Minickiello

I would object that epistemology itself is not a way of thinking that is either totally correct or incorrect, since there are many ways one can do epistemology. Epistemology refers to any number of ways in which one can think about knowledge.
  • Bartricks
    Ask them to clarify the question. It's gibberish. Ask them to ask it again without using the words 'prove' and 'epistemology' and 'is the only correct way of thinking'.
    Keep asking them this until something intelligible comes out of their face front.
  • Anthony Minickiello

Agreed. There is ambiguity in the question that could lead someone to misunderstand it.
  • Mww
    Somebody asked me to "prove that epistemology is the only correct way of thinking".

What is my best way to respond to this?
    Tommy Shiflett

“I wouldn’t know how.”
  • khaled
    “Epistemology is a field of study not a way of thinking so wtf are you saying. And ways of thinking are not correct or incorrect, statements are correct or incorrect.”
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.