• Ken Edwards
    I think that we human beings were never created all at once, all at one stroke. I think that we evolved slowly over a period of 350 million years.
    I believe that all humans are of the same age.
    That first living being with genes and reproductive facilities was born spontaneously in the ocean 350 million years ago and has never died. It still lives. It has slowly evolved through millions of centuries into you and me and into all of the other different life forms on the planet earth and on the space station.
    We are all, in a very real sense, 350 million years old. Not a single one of my own direct ancesters has ever experienced the cold of death. Until now.
    But wait! I am leaving out the most important part. I am leaving out the good news!
    Very recently, only about a half a million years, a new mind was evolved. The conscious mind!
    Consciousness or Self Awareness and Speech have finally come into existence.
    I was beginning to think it never would!
    Languages have come into existence. Vocabulary has come into existence. Meaning has come into existence. The sciences and Philosophy have come into existence. Economics and Banks have come into existence. Kindergartens and Colleges have come into existence. This conversation has come into existence!
    Hi, guys!
    All of this because the conscious mind was finally evolved in the prefrontal lobes of human brains.
    No other animal has a prefronal lobe. No ather animal has self awarenes.
    And today, as a result, the world has changed itself into a gigantic Horn of Plenty, a gigantic Santa Clause.
    Would you believe bathrooms with bathtubs? Would you believe pizzerias? Would you believe cars and buses? Would you believe ice cream with chocolate chips? Would you believe houses with central heating? television? hot tubs? water slides? hospitals?
    Okay, But now for the bad news. The bird of life has but a little ways to travel. And LO! the bird is on the wing.
    So what do you think? Was it a good trade off? Eternal life in exchange for Philosophy Forums and Hershey bars with almonds?
    What do you think?
  • Sir2u
    What do you think?Ken Edwards

What was they question? :worry:
  • Pantagruel
    If you are suggesting that there is some kind of holistic-transcendental consciousness from which conceptual consciousness has differentiated itself, no I think you are not wrong. Whether conceptual consciousness is working towards re-integrating itself with holistic consciousness is another question.
  • Ken Edwards
    No I am not remotely suggestig such a thing. I am talking about the historyof humans
  • Pantagruel
    In that case I'm not able to really grasp what it is you are suggesting.
  • Ken Edwards
    I will try to clarify what I am thinking.
    I am talking about the history of we human beings directly and about the history of all life indirectly.

When I say "we" I don't mean we as individuals. It is common knowledge that we as individuals live fewer than 115 years.
    I am talking about some microscopic sized bits of sperm like protoplasm in our reproductive mechanisms (in the testicles in males) that contain complete genetic descriptions of our bodies and that are 350 million years old and that have never experienced the cold of death.

I think that these are obviously truthful statements and are routinely accepted among scientists. After all, we had to come from something. The obvious proof of that is that we are here now. Keep in mind that when a living cell divides into two parts the two parts will be identical to the original cell and can only be changed by mutation.
  • Ken Edwards
    Whether conceptual consciousness is working towards re-integrating itself with holistic consciousness is another question.

I caught the tail end of this phrase a few hours ago. Interesting. Could you expand this a little?
    Thanks, Ken Edwards
  • Sir2u
    Am I wrong?Ken Edwards

You told a long, very long, story in short semi romantic prose. If omitting millions of pieces of important information is not taken into account them I guess you are not wrong.

But I ask again, what is the question?
  • T Clark

At least one part of your story is not in tune with current understanding.

I think that we evolved slowly over a period of 350 million years.Ken Edwards

3.5 billion years.

No ather animal has self awarenes.Ken Edwards

This is probably not true.

Eternal life in exchange for Philosophy Forums and Hershey bars with almonds?Ken Edwards

It was fine until they took out the whole almonds and started putting in pieces.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.