• boethius
    It's not just majority ruleBenkei

I think it's also important to consider this part too.

If you occupy a place and expand your territory that way, but don't give the people in that territory any rights, in particular the right to vote, then you're no longer a democracy simply due to this.

You're just a "big aristocracy" just with a geographic class basis, instead of hereditary (or then hereditary due to the geographical distinction).

I'd argue this is likewise true even if you don't formally control the territory but manage to informally control it.

Why this matters is not merely in formulating an appeal to democracy to argue government legitimacy in a particular case or then in general, but also functionally history teaches us that an aristocratic class with special privileges never gives up those privileges willingly.

If the entire West is essentially a geographically segregated global aristocracy (with relatively few exception elsewhere), especially since the fall of the Soviet Union, then not only does this raise questions of just governance, this also functionally explains why the West doesn't make any policies that actually address things like climate change, as that would mean giving up privilege which privileged classes never do (some individuals do, but there's no example of a whole class being like "this is unfair, have some more democracy").

In the case of Israel it explains why they are willing to commit a genocide rather than give up their class privileges.
  • BitconnectCarlos

None of the laws you've cited indicate that Israel discriminates de jure between Jews and non-Jews.

Freedom of speech trumps dumb fairy tales.Benkei

I'm already familiar with your attitude towards religion. But if e.g. 90% of the people are in favor of anti-blasphemy laws would you say that it's "democratic" to nullify their will? Or do you just know their true will?
  • 180 Proof
    Jews are one family.
    — BitconnectCarlos

:roll: Tell that to the non-Ashkenazim of color (Mizrani Jews, Sephardic Jews, Ethopian Jews, Indian Jews) in Israel who are racially discriminated against and treated as second-class Israelis:
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Racism_in_Israel
    180 Proof
  • BitconnectCarlos

Did you know that the lighter skinned blacks discriminate against the darker skinned ones? They oppress them and treat them as lower.
  • 180 Proof
    Did you know that the lighter skinned blacks discriminate against the darker skinned ones? They oppress them and treat them as lower.BitconnectCarlos
    Yeah, and they learned that from White (or semitic re: Arab) slavers-oppressors. Plenty of colorism (especially) in the older generations of both the American Southerner & Carribean sides of my mixed-raced family. So what's your non-point, BC? After all, I'm not the one claiming "Blacks are one family" and that "there is no discrimination among dark skinned and light skinned Blacks" the way you've lied (as the wiki link I've provided makes clear) about Israeli Jews who are semitic people discriminating, in fact, against – oppressing – other semitic people. Just calling you out again on your zionist propaganda bullshit. :victory: :mask:
  • Benkei
    None of the laws you've cited indicate that Israel discriminates de jure between Jews and non-Jews.BitconnectCarlos

Then you don't understand what discrimination is and you have much bigger problems. These laws would be struck down in the EU.

But if e.g. 90% of the people are in favor of anti-blasphemy laws would you say that it's "democratic" to nullify their will? Or do you just know their true will?BitconnectCarlos

Then you no longer have democracy. You cannot have democracy without people being informed and you cannot inform people if you're not allowed to speak. Especially if what we're talking about are unprovable theories about what the world ought to be like.

Edit: it's also extremely worrisome this is your go-to example. Makes you appear as if you grew up in the dark ages.
  • BitconnectCarlos

my "non-point" is that we can all sow divisiveness within oppressed communities endlessly if we like. at some point in history has an ashki racially discriminated against a non-ashki? sure? but it can go the other way too with the ashki discriminated against. and no, i don't have to abide by your theory that only certain groups (ashkis, white) can be racist. in any case, jews today are far more worried about the anti-zionism/anti-semitic violence and rhetoric which is a billion times scarier than any jew on jew discrimination.
  • BitconnectCarlos

Then you don't understand what discrimination is and you have much bigger problems. These laws would be struck down in the EU.Benkei

Of course, no one is expecting the EU to define itself as a Jewish nation state. But the entire EU and the Jews are two very different groups with two very different histories. As long as I see Israeli arabs with equal political rights & access to high positions & non-discrimination protections regarding employment I will not think "apartheid." Of course racism exists everywhere.

The laws clearly did demonstrate the Palestinians are discriminated against when it comes to applying for Israeli citizenship.

You cannot have democracy without people being informed and you cannot inform people if you're not allowed to speak. Especially if what we're talking about are unprovable theories about what the world ought to be like.

Edit: it's also extremely worrisome this is your go-to example. Makes you appear as if you grew up in the dark ages.
    Benkei

My example isn't drawn from Judaism but from Islam in which blaspheming the prophet Muhammad is a very serious offense. Free speech is quite varied across the western world; in the US supporting Nazism is protected but in Germany it isn't. What qualifies as "hate speech" is a controversial topic.

Is it "democratic" to allow for the promotion and spread of deeply anti-democratic ideologies?
  • 180 Proof
    i don't have to abide by your theory that only certain groups (ashkis, white) can be racist.BitconnectCarlos
    Strawman. :shade:

FWIW (not that bigots & idiots like you give AF), "my theory" summarized in this 2019 post:
    https://thephilosophyforum.com/discussion/comment/350173
  • BitconnectCarlos

Under what methodology are the ashkis the "in group" while the sephardis and mizrahi are the out group? Did the Jews decide this? Or an outside group that made this designation to condone bigotry towards them as they are labeled the "oppressors class."
  • 180 Proof
    For the third time I'm posting this link in response to your nonsense. Read it for comprehension and stop playing stupid. :shade:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Racism_in_Israel
  • BitconnectCarlos
    What is your point? Everyone is racist against everyone. Racism exists in some capacity everywhere unless a society were completely homogenous. Is that what you're after?

"There's racism in Israel" is banal to me. There's been 8 wars since Israel's inception where Israel faced annihilation of it lost. Not to mention centuries of Jewish persecution at the hands of Arabs. As long as Arab citizens are equal before the law and receive fair treatment in courts and have the same rights as the rest of the citizenry then I wouldn't call it apartheid. If there is apartheid (separate treatment), it is based on religion, not race.
  • BitconnectCarlos
    Society is seeing levels of anti-semitism not seen since the 1930s and you rant about the "ashkenazis."

BTW David Duke sides with the anti-Israel protesters.
  • Tzeentch
    3 weeks before Oct. 7, IDF Gaza Division warned of Hamas plan to attack, take 250 hostages (Times of Israel, 2024)

Previously I had not taken the idea that Israel had prior knowledge of the October 7th attacks too seriously. At most I figured there may have been vague warnings that could not conceivably cover the scale of the eventual attack.

It turns out I was wrong.

Apparently the IDF knew almost exactly what was coming, predicting the number of hostages with a scary degree of accuracy.

Did Israeli leadership knowingly let the October 7th attack happen in order to justify an ethnic cleansing of Gaza before the balance of power in the Middle-East decisively shifted against it?
  • Benkei
    The report added that "the very fact that we are unable to endorse (or not) FEWS NET’s analysis is driven by the lack of essential up-to-date data on human well-being in Northern Gaza, and Gaza at large. Thus, the FRC strongly requests all parties to enable humanitarian access in general, and specifically to provide a window of opportunity to conduct field surveys in Northern Gaza to have more solid evidence of the food consumption, nutrition, and mortality situation."
  • 180 Proof
    BTW David Duke sides with the anti-Israel protesters.BitconnectCarlos
    DD's been an antisemite for decades long before the latest protests (by many Jews too) against Israeli apartheid and war crimes. Unlike the majority of anti-zionist (pro-Palestinian) protesters, you ignoramus, he is a KKK-racist advocate for oppressing non-white & non-christian people everywhere. :shade:
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.