• unenlightened
    Route 66 is (in the mythological songland version of the US) where you go in search of kicks, highs and all the great stuff that makes America great again and leads inevitably to Californicaton and the dissolute hippies.

Highway 61 is orthogonal to that dimension of satisfaction. Where the roads cross is (presumably) where the other Bob, Johnson, mythologically sold his soul to the devil in exchange for guitar virtuosity. But I'm heading South.

God said to Abraham, “Kill me a son”
    Abe says, “Man, you must be puttin’ me on”
    God say, “No.” Abe say, “What?”
    God say, “You can do what you want Abe, but
    The next time you see me comin’ you better run”
    Well Abe says, “Where do you want this killin’ done?”
    God says, “Out on Highway 61
    — Bob Dylan

This is the bible story that, even more than Job, popularises atheism. The very idea that there could be some principle adherence to which would be more important than one's own child's life is so repugnant on the face of it, that even in the bible, God has to relent once He has established His absolute authority.

It's a trolley problem of a story - your son is tied to the rails and you can switch the trolley onto another track where my three daughters are tied. (This of course is the devil's version.)

The reason I call it the devil's version is that it relies on a moral economic model of the world, where lives have additive value such that profit and loss moral evaluations can be made. Much of conventional religion panders (as I see it) to the general notion that a sacrifice only makes sense as a kind of investment - the way, eg. I sacrifice some income now to have a pension in the future.

So did you just kill my children there, or did you obey God and sacrifice your son? Are you on Highway 61, or route 66? You don't have to answer, it's rhetorical, it's an exercise in moral geography. It's a personal matter, a question of character, and a long way from the science thread that started me on this transportation saga.
  • Changeling
    In Aztec society it was an honour to be sacrificed.
  • Deleted User
    When a plant is dying it sacrifices a part of itself it can miss. The gardener then prunes it and the plant will recover. Humans are different, not all of our tissues can regenerate to that degree. We cannot sacrifice our own flesh & blood, it goes against our nature.
  • schopenhauer1

How about this, don't create the sacrifice in the first place.. Unless having children itself is some sacrifice to the gods of society and tradition.
  • James Riley
    Children are devils. I'd rather the devil that I know.

Besides, when thinning the herd, you take out the females, so there's that.
  • praxis
    313px-Apostolic_Benediction_and_Plenary_Indulgence_Parchment_1948_Oct_26_Pope_Pius_XII_to_Della_Mora_Antonietta_%28DSC_2566%29.jpg

In God we trust.
  • T Clark
    This is the bible story that, even more than Job, popularises atheism.unenlightened

You go with Bob, I'll go with Randy:

I burn down your cities - how blind you must be
    I take from you your children and you say how blessed are we
    You all must be crazy to put your faith in me
    That's why I love mankind
    You really need me
    That's why I love mankind
  • Shawn
    A rising tide lifts all 'oats.

Brotherly love:
    JMei5Ek.png
  • unenlightened
    Humans are different, not all of our tissues can regenerate to that degree. We cannot sacrifice our own flesh & blood, it goes against our nature.TaySan

Human digits are formed in the womb by the selective death of embryonic cells in the limb ends. Incomplete cell death results in webbed hands/feet.

But the state of nature is what we have fallen from, as the story goes,

In Aztec society it was an honour to be sacrificed.The Opposite

Well aren't we multicultural! Let me speculate on the rationale since your contribution is a tad telegraphic. We of the Christian tradition might have considered crucifixion an honour, even to the extent that the mythos has it that St Paul, (or was it St Peter?) preferred to be crucified upside down so as not to o.d. on the honour. which is to say that the highway 61 of ancient times continued right down to S America.
  • unenlightened
    How about this,schopenhauer1

Your wisdom is necessarily the fruit of other's folly.
  • unenlightened
    the bible story that, even more than Job, popularises atheism.unenlightened

Yes. So what do you need old chap? That's where we start, isn't it? A bloodthirsty vengeful deity that has to be propitiated. And the Christian twist is that God sacrifices himself for us. So you are unsatisfied by God's sacrifice, and also by your own? I guess you better get back to route 66.
  • unenlightened
    Brotherly love:Shawn

Pigs are jolly fellows, and i won't have a word said against them. Au contraire. I'll have a song sung in their praise.

• unenlightened

This isn't fucking facebook! Say something, don't just post memes!
  • Shawn
    It's interesting that Abraham changed God's mind that day, but only when it was about authority.
  • praxis

I felt that I could afford a little indulgence.
  • frank
    This isn't fucking facebook! Say something, don't just post memes!unenlightened

Didn't you advise against responding in the OP? The pictures are just decorations for your thread. Get a sense of aesthetics.
  • frank
    Bob Dylan was a big fan of Woody Guthrie's. You can see it in the OP and in this song:

Crickets are chirpin’, the water is high

There’s a soft cotton dress on the line hangin’ dry

Window wide open, African trees

Bent over backwards from a hurricane breeze

Not a word of goodbye, not even a note

She gone with the man

In the long black coat

Somebody seen him hanging around

At the old dance hall on the outskirts of town

He looked into her eyes when she stopped him to ask

If he wanted to dance, he had a face like a mask

Somebody said from the Bible he’d quote

There was dust on the man

In the long black coat

Preacher was a talkin’, there’s a sermon he gave

He said "Every man’s conscience is vile and depraved

You cannot depend on it to be your guide

When it’s you who must keep it satisfied."

It ain’t easy to swallow, it sticks in the throat

She gave her heart to the man

In the long black coat

There are no mistakes in life some people say

And it's true sometimes you can see it that way

I went down to the river but I just missed the boat

She went with the man

In the long black coat

There’s smoke on the water, it’s been there since June

Tree trunks uprooted, 'neath the high crescent moon

Feel the pulse and vibration and the rumbling force

Somebody is out there beating a dead horse

She never said nothing, there was nothing she wrote

She went with the man

In the long black coat

-- BaBob Dylan
  • Shawn
    It's interesting that Abraham changed God's mind that day, but only when it was about authority.Shawn

Had this been a total submission to God, @unenlightened?
  • Banno
    He's just finished Ramadan.
  • thewonder

I think that there's a certain truth to what you glean at of the so-called "hippies". The traded the marches and songs of the Civil Rights Movement for Happenings and Psychedelia, thereby effectively creating the various classes that exist within Pop Culture today. Though I like Happenings and Psychedelia, as well as every form of free expression, there's a way of interpreting political events following a series of events in 1968 as having resulted in the form of political suicide that is to engage in political terrorism. It's just a way of interpreting them, though.

If anyone actually plans on engaging in an actual conversation about this, I feel like this article could, perhaps, be somehow relevant.

With that being said, I should also like to quote Bob Dylan. "Keep a good head; always carry a lightbulb."
  • Hanover
    Isaac was 37 when Abraham took him up the mountain to sacrifice him and Abraham was 137. That the story states God had to intervene to stop the sacrifice indicates Isaac was a willing participant, considering he could easily have fended off his old as shit father.

As to Kierkegaard's argument that this story shows faith in its purest form, I don't get it. Abraham didn't have faith in God, he had empirical evidence of his existence. God told him he'd allow Sara to become preggers at 99 years old, and then she did. That'd make me a believer.
  • unenlightened

It's interesting that Abraham changed God's mind that day, but only when it was about authority.Shawn

I reckon it's not the most interesting part, personally. It happens when you have actually got your knife out and bared the neck of your most prized possession. We haven't even made it to the right highway, yet.
  • Changeling
    Well aren't we multicultural!unenlightened

This thread is too monocultural; Christianity doesn't even have a god of death - only evil. The Aztecs had a god of death who lived with his wife in a windowless house.
  • unenlightened
    Didn't you advise against responding in the OP? The pictures are just decorations for your thread. Get a sense of aesthetics.frank

I prefer to do my own decorating.

If anyone actually plans on engaging in an actual conversation about this, I feel like this article could, perhaps, be somehow relevant.thewonder

There's a lot of scope for interesting diversions there. But I'm going to rule out politics as doomed to failure to the extent that it attempts to solve moral problems with social structures. In the distinction I am trying to look at, politics belongs to route 66 - reward and punishment. If you want to reduce drunk driving there are two ways to go, you can introduce laws and breathalyzers, or you can stop drink-driving. It's not that politics is unimportant, but it is all amelioration of psychological/moral problems.
  • unenlightened
    As to Kierkegaard's argument that this story shows faith in its purest form, I don't get it. Abraham didn't have faith in God, he had empirical evidence of his existenceHanover

From my position, I would say that either you or Kierkegaard has misunderstood the nature of faith. Empirical evidence is irrelevant to faith. My belief in justice is not increased by the discovery that it occasionally prevails, or decreased by the observation that it commonly does not.
  • unenlightened
    This thread is too monocultural; Christianity doesn't even have a god of death - only evil. The Aztecs had a god of death who lived with his wife in a windowless house.The Opposite

If you want to expound that cultural understanding, I am listening. But my own culture is what I speak from. But I suspect you are bullshitting and know not of what you speak.
  • Changeling
    But my own culture is what I speak from.unenlightened

Why do you have to talk from that?

But I suspect you are bullshitting and know not of what you speak.unenlightened

I'm not bullshitting, but I'm not sure I'm contributing much. It's difficult to answer the question because I don't have any children. Although, if I did have a son I think I would switch the trolley - not sure which road that is... 66?
  • unenlightened
    But my own culture is what I speak from.
    — unenlightened

Why do you have to talk from that?
    The Opposite

Because it is alive in me. As alive as opposition is in you. It's difficult to talk about Aztec religion because it is not alive; it is not practiced. It is, therefore only brought into the conversation through the modernist Western scientific lens of archeology. So the multiculturalism is a pretence, and you speak from the same tradition as me.
  • Deleteduserrc
    My own thread referenced so disdainfully in an OP - what to do? I weighed whether to respond. I attempted some augury during my daily woods-wallk ( a chickadee, some crows) but since I don't know how augury works, I've had to rely on other means.

Luckily those other means were forthcoming. Two on-the-nose synchronicities today.

(1)There's a long lecture series I'm listening to, and today happened to be the episode on Christianity. The lecturer devoted about 1/3 of that to the discussion of agape, about 2/3's of that to 1 Corinthians 13.

(2) One of my daily rituals is to hit up a random-bible verse website and then read the full chapter that verse is from. Some days you get page-long censuses of tribes, but today, I shit you not, I got Romans 4 - Paul's take on Abraham

A preponderance of well-arrayed tea leaves incentivizes me to respond.

The first thing I would say is that I'm confused at the intensity of this moral reaction if its simply in response to my thread. That thread was about the systematic misuse of surveys in academia; this thread, which cites mine disapprovingly, is about willingness-to-sacrifice-children as proof of moral character. (and I'm not sure if it's intentionally leaning-into the Kierkegaard stuff I mentioned on the other thread, or if its a coincidence.)

But the second thing: I just don't follow your OP - I get the threads of

[true moral courage versus moral mercantilism ( cost-benefit etc)]

[hippy hedonism versus the moral path]

[pop culture mythology]

& I feel the tone of the loom

but the last few paragraphs confuse me, and I don't think its just because I lack the moral character to grasp them. I think the general meme-y reaction is because of that - it's hard to parse the point.

----

We're both given to a sort of peacocking, i think. We both do it, the OP was doing it, and I've responded by doing it. I think we should cut through it here though, if we can. How would you sum up the OP in a few sentences? I promise to respond myself in a few sentences, in plainspeak.
  • Changeling
    well, that's true actually.

What would you do if the trolley was on my son's track?
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.