• Tiberiusmoon
    What does it mean to you and how do you use it in philosophy?
  • Sir2u
    Reflection of self is 3 words.

But the phrase could mean many things.
    The thing I see in the mirror.
    The way I believe myself to be as opposed to the way others see me.
    The way I think about me.
  • original2
    I think it would be better to start with what is a reflection, term ambiguous in itself. The "of self" part is the easy one imo.

For me reflection should involve recognition. To put it abstractly reflection would be a mark caused by entitiy when that mark can be recognized by a perceiver as bearing characteristics linked the the entity that caused the mark. In a way, depending on a perception of the perceiver, various marks may or may not be reflections to them, they can recognize the connections between some marks and entities that caused them and others they may not link.
  • Nils Loc
    The reflection (dialogic analysis) of the self sounds like a metaphysical nightmare only a coterie of intrepid philosophers would care to plumb the depth of.

Who dares enter the looking glass by metaphysical means when it is better to play cards and drink coffee.

Inevitably a Buddhist will appear and say words like "Anatman" and "Shunyata" and then you'll have to run for the hills.
  • praxis
    When Master Kyozan Ejaku was master of Tohei Temple, Master Isan Reiyu sent him a letter along with a mirror.

The package arrived at the temple and Master Kyozan took it with him to the Lecture Hall, held up the mirror and said to his assembly: "Students, Master Isan sent this mirror and it has arrived here. Now I would like you to discuss this for a while. Is this mirror Isan’s or is it Tohei’s? If you say this mirror is now Tohei’s, I will say it is a present from Isan. If you say it was sent from Isan, I will say it is now in the Master of Tohei’s hand. If you can show me the truth I will keep the mirror, if you cannot show me anything I will smash the mirror at once."

He repeated this three times. Finally, one of the students got up and ran out of the temple towards the hills. Master Kyozan started laughing uncontrollably and accidentally dropped the mirror. It shattered into a million pieces. Master Kyozan then exclaimed, "fuck".
  • Nils Loc
    If you go to work without a face it is probably because you failed to consult the self in the looking glass.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.