• Shawn
    I'll start.

What do you think Wittgenstein would have said about life, philosophy, economics nowadays?
  • jgill
    Whatever he might say we might not understand.
  • 180 Proof
    What do you think Wittgenstein would have said about life, philosophy, economics nowadays?Shawn
    "In a mere six decades mass media has 'naturalized' (or normalized) even patent nonsense. Ramsey knew of what he spoke. But climate change may be the cure for saying to death (and to the already dead) what can only be shown. 'Civilization' is just a symbolic prophylactic. Gödel's starvation was telling because he knew he couldn't show the blind that they are blind. Still. No one, except the mad or imbecilic (e.g. martyrs), is ever "born posthumously". (Except Beckett, Cioran & Sergio Leone.) Tell them I've lived too fucking long but not long enough to see what comes next. (We never do.)"
  • TheMadFool
    lifeShawn

An excellent question and just the right word, "life", to bring out the Wittgenstein in us. Did you check? The word "life" doesn't have a good definition, "life" is like a small suitcase - all of our stuff won't fit in it and we have to make tough choices regarding what we want to put in or keep out. A pinch of sodium chloride recommended!
  • Amity

That is just so damned clever and makes me want to read more... before I go...

I'll start.

What do you think Wittgenstein would have said about life, philosophy, economics nowadays?
    Shawn

It's one thing to start but how do you go on...

What do you think Wittgenstein would have thought, if not said ?

As Wittgenstein's friend and colleague Frank Ramsey put it, "What we can't say we can't say, and we can't whistle it either."
  • Wittgenstein
    Wittgenstein would have killed himself, trust me
  • Amity
    Wittgenstein would have killed himself, trust meWittgenstein
    Sorry, I only trust camels...are you a camel ?

I don't know Wittgenstein at all. Apart from what I discovered today about his change of heart and mind. https://thephilosophyforum.com/discussion/comment/556911

Also from:
    http://www.philosophypages.com/hy/6s.htm

Thus, even the philosophical achievements of the Tractatus itself are nothing more than useful nonsense; once appreciated, they are themselves to be discarded. The book concludes with the lone statement:

"Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one must be silent."

(Tractatus 7) This is a stark message indeed, for it renders literally unspeakable so much of human life. As Wittgenstein's friend and colleague Frank Ramsey put it,

"What we can't say we can't say, and we can't whistle it either."

It was this carefully-delineated sense of what a logical language can properly express that influenced members of the Vienna Circle in their formulation of the principles of logical positivism. Wittgenstein himself supposed that there was nothing left for philosophers to do. True to this conviction, he abandoned the discipline for nearly a decade...

[Then]:

...One application of the new analytic technique that Wittgenstein himself worked out appears in several connected sections of the posthumously-published Philosophical Investigations (1953).
    ...Wittgenstein pointed out that if we did indeed have private inner experiences, it would be possible to represent them in a corresponding language. 
    ....Just so, the use of language for pains or other sensations can only be associated successfully with dispositions to behave in certain ways. Pain is whatever makes someone (including me) writhe and groan.

For someone wanting to know his thoughts without needless pain, where to go...?
  • Wittgenstein

It's safe to say no one understood Wittgenstein as he would have liked to be understood. The early Wittgenstein was aware of the contradictory nature of his work. Ramsey convinced him to return back to work. You should read philosophical investigation alongside tractatus and compare both of them. Take your time. His later work is more of a method of doing philosophy and less about philosophizing.

To understand Wittgenstein, you need to be like him to a certain extend.
  • Amity
    You should read philosophical investigation alongside tractatus and compare both of them. Take your time.Wittgenstein

You are kidding, right.
    Not gonna happen. Didn't I say, ''without needless pain'' ?
    I already tried to follow TPF threads on both. Quite some time ago. He didn't grab me...or I wasn't persuaded...

To understand Wittgenstein, you need to be like him to a certain extend.Wittgenstein

So, you are like him ? In what way ?
    Take your time...I will listen...up to a point...

For starters, why do you say
    Wittgenstein would have killed himself, trust meWittgenstein
  • Wittgenstein

I have a mystical inclination like him and l have always had a problem with philosophers messing things up for no good reason. However, l wish l was as smart as him.

Reading Wittgenstein is a pain in the ass, no two ways about that. It is what it is.

A lot of people on this forum have a tendency to philosophize, they do philosophy in a scientific manner, Wittgenstein hated this kind of philosophy. He would definitely shoot himself if he accidentally browsed thephilosophyforum.com
  • Fooloso4
    For someone wanting to know his thoughts without needless pain, where to go...?Amity

Ray Monk's biography: "Ludwig Wittgenstein: The Duty of Genius"
  • Amity
    Ray Monk's biography: "Ludwig Wittgenstein: The Duty of Genius"Fooloso4

• Amity
    He would definitely shoot himself if he accidentally browsed thephilosophyforum.comWittgenstein

No way :gasp:
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.