• Josh Alfred
    Is there any way in which the two man's logic systems might come together and enhance one another? Is there any work being done on this, and is a frontier of logicians today? I am asking this presently because I am studying both and will soon endeavor to amalgamate them. After doing that I think there will be potential discoveries in my main field of study which is understanding how organic network systems function (Pursuing a degree in Cognitive Neuroscience).
  • TheMadFool
    As far as I know, both Boole and Bayes dabbled in mathematical probability.

No general method for the solution of questions in the theory of probabilities can be established which does not explicitly recognise, not only the special numerical bases of the science, but also those universal laws of thought which are the basis of all reasoning, and which, whatever they may be as to their essence, are at least mathematical as to their form. — George Boole

What do you reckon Boole meant by that?
  • Cuthbert
    Bayes dabbled in mathematical probability.TheMadFool
    :rofl:

Up tails all.

What do you reckon Boole meant by that?TheMadFool

I think he is referring to the logical basis of mathematics; a line of thought that culminated in the Hilbert programme. Whom you quote in your profile. You know this stuff already, no?
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.