• GraveItty

Capturing knowledge in a formal system. Like m
    I'd define knowledge as "mental awareness of objective truth".
    4h
    Cidat

Yes. The objective truth though lies in the eye of the beholder, to relativize the matter. Though everyone will claim his perceived knowledge to be objective. I say the world was created in six days 6000 years ago, or maybe the gods in the sky did the job. It's also possible to claim the physics can do the job, though you can always ask were the stuff of the physical universe came from, even if it's infinite in spacetime extent. Can one ask the same about God?
  • Average
    I don't say that everybody is right. That everybody is right and everybody jumps to the right conclusions. You already have one example! God forbid! Right and wrong conclusions can be drawn in every system of realityGraveItty

I agree with you on this question. I think that it is possible for people to be wrong. I think that this is probably where mistakes come from. If you are basing your decisions on beliefs about the world, like someone who believed that sacrificing to Asclepius would bring health, and those beliefs turn out to be false then it’s probably the case that the desired outcome will not be produced. I don’t claim to have a panacea for all bad decisions but I do think that we can eliminate a large amount of mistakes.
  • Average
    Hi Average!
    Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!
    We are excited you are here.
    Enjoy your stay
    ArguingWAristotleTiff

Thank you for your kind words.
  • Average
    I guess no one is interested in this conversation
  • boagie
    The most obvious way to check whether our choices make sense is to check them against the physical world as to whether the consequences of our choices are having the logical effect which was intended. Our perception in checking this out of course could be defective, the choice may have been a result in the first place of a misconception. One could be on the safe side and gather a consensus, as reality does seem to be appreciated as agreement. Even this method is not full proof and a lone opinion does not mean one is wrong, perhaps just unpopular.
  • Nickolasgaspar

-"How do we know that our choices make sense?
    -They make sense to us...even if they are nonsensical.
  • Average
    The most obvious way to check whether our choices make sense is to check them against the physical world as to whether the consequences of our choices are having the logical effect which was intended.boagie

I think that your answer makes sense but I wish you had given a good example of this method in action even if it was only hypothetical.
  • boagie
    Example: If you give money to someone to help them out of a problem, and they just use the money foolishly, you are likely to reconsider the wisdom of your good will. Perhaps you didn't really know the chap as well as you thought. Perhaps people learn some things better through suffering through their mistakes. If one looks at a problem with the same biology same knowledge as that which created it, one will probably not discover the error, that's where listening to others comes in.
  • Average
    Do you think that it's possible to live a life that is flawless? In other words is it possible to live in such a way as to ensure that everything that you do makes sense? This would mean that all of your choices and decisions are rational and correct.
123456Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet