• TheQuestion
    Every time you learn something new there is an emotional reaction in your conscious mind.

Thoughts, Ideals and beliefs causes your emotions to react. And these emotional reaction create your personality and who you are. You can refer to it as self-awareness or Ego.

But it got me thinking does anyone ever tried to do an emotional inventory before learning something new and do another emotional inventory after you learned it.

As I was pondering this I began developing an exercise or emotional experiment however you like to look at it. To see what drives a person to pursue thought and learning.

This exercise is universal, it can be applied to any topic.

1) What is your current emotional state before your research? (Do you feel Anxious, frustrated, Sad, Happy, Calm, etc...?)

2) What is the purpose of this research? (Explain as detailed as possible)

3) What motivates you personally to pursue this new knowledge? (Ex: To solve a problem, personal gratification or re-enforce a personal belief)

4) How will learning this change things? (Explain whether is good or bad)

After your research, ask yourself these questions and write your answers down on a piece of paper again.

1) What is your new emotional state after learning this new topic? (Do I feel Anxious, frustrated, Sad, Happy, Calm, disappointed, etc...?)

2) Why is it making you feel this way? (Try to be as detailed as possible)

2) After doing the research did it fulfill its purpose? (Explain how and why.)

3) Are you still motivated to keep learning this topic and why?

4) Did learning this new topic change things? (Whether is good, bad or not at all.)

Once complete refer back your answers and reflect on it. You don't have to post your result because I do understand it may be personal.

The purpose of this experiment is that I believe that we discriminate knowledge based on how we feel about it and we can see certain type of teachings and learning as an attack to our identity.

I also believe that Emotional Intelligence is a vital component to learning new things and keeping an open mind. As well as conveying it appropriately without making it sound threatening to one's personal identity or self.

Taking an Emotional inventory before and after you learn something new may be helpful in expelling stereotype beliefs, prejudice thinking and hopefully be susceptible to new ideas.

That's my take on it. What do you think?

Reference page

Important Distinctions Between EQ and IQ
    https://blog.ttisi.com/important-distinctions-between-eq-and-iq

How Do Thoughts and Emotions Affect Health?
    https://www.takingcharge.csh.umn.edu/how-do-thoughts-and-emotions-affect-health

The Influences of Emotion on Learning and Memory
    Chai M. Tyng, Hafeez U. Amin, Mohamad N. M. Saad and Aamir S. Malik*
    https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fpsyg.2017.01454/full
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal