• SolarWind
    The answer is just a straightforward 'yes'. God can make some toast. And God can make a stone too heavy for him to lift. There's no problem.Bartricks

Of course, there is a problem. There's a stone and he can't lift it. If he does lift it, then he has not created one that he cannot lift. Omnipotence is a contradictory concept that people have created.
  • Bartricks
    There's no problem. An omnipotent being has the power to give up their omnipotence. Yes?
  • GraveItty
    There's no problem. An omnipotent being has the power to give up their omnipotence. Yes?Bartricks

No. They are omnipotent within the realm of what's possible.
  • Bartricks
    And what does that mean when it's at home?
  • GraveItty
    And what does that mean when it's at home?Bartricks

When reality is at home?
  • Bartricks
    You can't answer a question with a question, can you?
  • GraveItty
    You can't answer a question with a question, can you?Bartricks

Unless you don't understand the question.
  • Bartricks
    Stop being tedious. An omnipotent being can do anything and thus can divest herself of her omnipotence if she so pleases.
  • GraveItty
    Stop being tedious. An omnipotent being can do anything and thus can divest herself of her omnipotence if she so pleases.Bartricks

I just asked what you meant. What you mean by "unless it's in the office"? God just can't do things that can't be done. He's omnipotent in the sense that he can do all things that can be done. Which is not everything.
  • SolarWind
    An omnipotent being can do anything and thus can divest herself of her omnipotence if she so pleases.Bartricks

One question would also be what gender God is. Does he/she/it have characteristics, how one could decide that?
  • GraveItty
    One question would also be what gender God is. Does he/she/it have characteristics, how one could decide that?SolarWind

It's not decidable. It depends on how you view God or the gods.
  • Bartricks
    God doesn't have a gender. Genders are what bodies have, not what minds have. And God is a mind. Of course, so too are we. And thus we are all genderless. It is our bodies that have sexes. Not us.
  • SolarWind
    It's not decidable. It depends on how you view God or the gods.GraveItty

So I decide which god/gods there are. Funny.
  • SolarWind
    God doesn't have a gender.Bartricks

And why is "he" or "He" written then?
  • SolarWind
    Sexism.Bartricks

Who? God or human beings?
  • Bartricks
    Human beings. A lot of them are sexists. Haven't you noticed?

Sexism is also a vice, yes? And God is morally perfect. So, is God going to be a sexist? No, obviously not. For being morally perfect means 'not' having any vices.

Note too just what the vice of sexism involves: it involves thinking that a person matters because of the type of body they occupy. Whereas, of course, we are morally valuable irrespective of what kind of body we occupy. That's true, right? And why would that be? Because we are not our bodies, but souls resident within them. And it is our souls - us - that possess moral value, not our bodies.
  • SolarWind
    Let me summarize: People (men and women) see God as male because they are sexists. But they know that God has no gender. Does that sound reasonable?
  • GraveItty
    So I decide which god/gods there are. Funny.SolarWind

You don't decide anything. The gods are there. For me there are many, for some there might be one, for others they don't exist at all.
  • Bartricks
    Let me summarize: People (men and women) see God as male because they are sexists. But they know that God has no gender. Does that sound reasonable?SolarWind

That's not a summary of anything I have said. God is not a man or a woman, okay? God could occupy a male or female body, just as we do. But she's not a man or a woman anymore than you or I are.
  • GraveItty
    That's not a summary of anything I have said. God is not a man or a woman, okay?Bartricks

How do you know?
  • Bartricks
    Because God is a mind and minds do not have sexes.
  • GraveItty
    Because God is a mind and minds do not have sexes.Bartricks

That's what you think. I guess you are in love with the mind. And who says minds have no sexes?
  • SolarWind
    Because God is a mind and minds do not have sexes.Bartricks

But male and female brains are also (slightly) different, not only the bodies.
  • khaled
    Don't engage it. Among other ridiculous claims, it believes that life on Earth is hell where the wicked are sentenced for punishment and that whatever happens to you here, you deserve it. It also believes that if you disagree with it its necessarily because you lack expertise, and goes around asking for qualifications without presenting any on its part. It also can't see the irony here:

When reality is at home?GraveItty

You can't answer a question with a question, can you?Bartricks

Engaging it is reserved for masochists. When you begin to get anywhere it will retreat to "dunning kruger" or "this is how it is present to my reason" but it will take you 70 posts to get to that point.

The only clever things that come out of its mouth are ad homs. Which I have to say are top notch.
  • Bartricks
    It's what any intelligent person thinks. Lots of things lack sexes. Numbers, locations, and so on. The question 'what sex is the number 3?" is confused. And so too is the question 'what sex is a mind?'

Look, for as long as I can remember, I have assumed I have a male body. It has all the hallmarks of one. And so I describe myself as male. But it seems entirely possible that I could one day discover that I in fact have the body of a female, either because I have been hallucinating this whole time or perhaps because sex is constitutively determined by features that are not visible such as DNA (I take no stand on that matter). Anyway, the point is, I could well discover that my body is not the sex i have been assuming it was. But that discovery would not be a discovery about my mind. It would be a discovery about my body.
  • Bartricks
    Brains are body parts. Christ. You people! Mind. Brain. They're not synonyms.
  • khaled
    it will retreat to "dunning kruger"khaled

goes around asking for qualifications without presenting any on its part.khaled
  • GraveItty
    It's what any intelligent person thinks. Lots of things lack sexes. Numbers, locations, and so on. The question 'what sex is the number 3?" is confused. And so too is the question 'what sex is a mind?'Bartricks

I know a female mind! She just entered with a bag of groceries. The number 3 next door? She's walking on the other side of town. LA woman is giving her a hard time.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.