• john27

Well, I would definitely agree with you that the rate of death is unequal. However, I would argue this is not necessarily correlated to the probability of death.
  • TheMadFool
    Well, I would definitely agree with you that the rate of death is unequal. however, I would argue this is not necessarily correlated to the probability of deathjohn27

Explain.
  • john27

I like to imagine death as a city, and life its subway. The metro has a terminal exit, from which the passengers are obliged to leave into the great city. However, depending on the circumstance of the wayfarer, he may be compelled, or forced, to take an earlier stop.
  • TheMadFool
    like to imagine death as a city, and life its subway. The metro has a terminal exit, from which the passengers are obliged to leave into the great city. However, depending on the circumstance of the wayfarer, he may be compelled, or forced, to take an earlier stop.john27

Does everybody have an equal probability for an earlier stop and even if they did, does everyone have equal access to solutions/opportunities to cheat death (for example antibiotics) ?
  • john27

Sadly, no. The voyagers circumstances differ, and not all are happy with their too-soon departure. However, it remains the responsibility of all passengers to be exact; to venture off towards the gothic town.

Heres a maybe more precise analogy: Life is a pendulum, and no matter how forceful the swing, the pendulum will always come to a stop.
  • TheMadFool
    Humanity and Equality.

It all began, I suppose, with slavery and sexism. The point, potential (Aristotle) was being suppressed and stamped out. If a woman or a black person has the same/greater potential as/than a white man ( :chin: ), and that potential was being systematically prevented from being actualized, it amounts to discrimination, this is the kind of inequality we seem unable to let slide.

However, if there's a difference in potential - one person has what it takes to be an engineer or become a bodybuilder and another doesn't - we take no issue with any discrepancy in social/economic status.
  • TheMadFool
    Sadly, no. The voyagers circumstances differ, and not all are happy with their too-soon departure. However, it remains the responsibility of all passengers to be exact; to venture off within the gothic town.john27

I rest my case.
  • john27

And I would agree. Although it stays then, or we are to agree that the rate does not affect the probability.
  • TheMadFool
    By the way, is there another form of inequality we're blind to. I dunno! Just askin'.

I remember someone who was so happy to have been chosen for a soccer team, not realizing he was picked just so that the team could have 11 players.
  • TheMadFool
    And I would agree. Although it stays then, or we are to agree that the rate does not affect the probability.john27

The mortality rate is the probability of death, no?
  • TheMadFool
    @john27Rate of death = = There's a 1% risk of dying.
  • john27
    The mortality rate is the probability of death, no?TheMadFool

No! It's how fast the music is being played, not the music itself.
  • TheMadFool
    No! It's how fast the music is being played, not the music itselfjohn27

Good day! :lol:
  • TheMadFool
    No! It's how fast the music is being played, not the music itself.john27

Google for in-depth analysis.
  • john27

Mortality rate is the analysis of when, not if, death exists. That would be what I am trying to describe..
  • TheMadFool
    Mortality rate is the analysis of when, not if, death exists. That would be what I am trying to describe..john27

Oh! Now we're getting somewhere. When death exists? :chin:

We'll all find out in good time I guess. I'm in no hurry although I do have premonitions of an impending catastrophe involving me and a chimpanzee with a loaded AK47. There's a video on youtube :point:

• TheMadFool
    The reason God is a useful fiction is that only in his eyes are all equal. This doesn't seem to be supported by facts on the ground but hey, let's hope!
  • john27

Excellent video.

Let us hope indeed...
  • john27

Going back to our initial discussion, I believe I had stated it may be more useful to define death as an egalitarian aspect of humanity, to assess it as an existence, not as a state.

Would you have any issues with this?
  • TheMadFool
    We began with equality and death popped up in our discussion. What do you suppose that means?
  • john27

That we do have an equalizing aspect, which would be the existence of death. So in terms of the macro view of humanity, we could be considered equal.
  • TheMadFool
    That we do have an equalizing aspect, which would be the existence of death. So in terms of the macro view of humanity, we could be considered equal.john27

Here's an interesting thought.

We (usually) don't mind, even like, being treated better than some others but we hurt, badly, when it's the other way round, when we're made to feel small(er). Both, intriguingly, are essentially inequality. So, the question is, what's it gonna be? If you like the former, you gotta accept the latter and if you disapprove of the latter, you're gonna havta give up the former. Dilemma.
  • john27

I guess humans are constrained by inequality one way or another.
  • Leghorn
    Why, I don't think i'd be me without it.john27

What if you lost your hearing? Would you no longer be you?
  • john27

Mm...I think if I were to lose my hearing, I'd definitely perform/act in a different way than normal... I may be me, but changed severely.
  • Leghorn
    @john27

So sight is essential to who you are but not hearing?
  • john27

They are equally essential, but It is much more easier on my brain to imagine a dark world than a world without sound. Therefore it comes harder to me to stipulate, whether or not a loss of sound would be essential to my character.
  • Leghorn
    @john27

And it is much easier on my brain to hear “easier” than “more easier”, but I’m just poking fun at you...

Let me ask you this then: if you were to lose your sense of taste, would you feel that you had been diminished as to your essential character?
  • john27

I now have a compelling need to edit my previous post...

I think regarding the senses, so long as you view them as something of utmost import (in relation to your character), its displacement results in the diminishment of the perception of yourself.

However, it is equally right to say that as long as you don't view these attributes essential to yourself, (e.g I would have turned out the same no matter if I was blind or deaf) then they are of no relation to your persona.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.