• Tom Storm
    No worries - and thank you for that reminder. I believe you are sincerely trying to work things out like many here.

I don't think there's much more for you to ask me. If you google intelligence and essentialism you will see a lot of material. Much of it more useful than anything I would say.

The question of intelligence seems to be important to men - over 40 years I have rarely heard a woman care much about it. The IQ score is like cock size for nerds.

Digression: I have known several genius level people with gifts so prodigious you want to weep for the rest of us. But do these gifts make the person happier or better adjusted? Not that I've seen.
  • Average
    If you google intelligence and essentialism you will see a lot of material. Much of it more useful than anything I would say.Tom Storm

Fair enough.
  • Average
    The IQ score is like cock size for nerds.Tom Storm

I actually view it as a life and death type of topic. IQ really doesn’t interest me that much.
  • EugeneW
    True intelligence recognizes that all forms of intelligence seen in nature have the same value, including the free intelligence of people.
  • Average
    I’d love to hear more from you on this topic.
  • MAYAEL
    Tom Storm I honestly don’t know where to begin. Should I tackle the essentialism question first? Or should I provide my thoughts on whether or not it is important to have a view on intelligence before I address the essentialism subject?.

Ironic thing to say for someone that doesn't have an opinion
  • Average
    Ironic thing to say for someone that doesn't have an opinionMAYAEL

I have a view of a view but not a view of intelligence.
  • InvoluntaryDecorum

We would have to subjectively determine
  • Average
    If I’m being honest I’m not even sure what subjectivity refers to. Where does subjectivity end and objectivity begin? Or vice versa.
  • InvoluntaryDecorum

Subjectivity and objectivity refer to the subject and the object. The subject is us, and object is what is observed. Subjectivity is when the primary input in thought is the self, its feelings and biases. Objectivity is when the primary input is the object, with detachment of the self
  • Average
    thank you for clarifying. Your explanation was amazing. If we need to subjectively determine what is purely objective and what is not purely objective wouldn’t that mean that pure objectivity is impossible?
  • InvoluntaryDecorum

That's what I was trying to express with "aiming"
  • Average
    aiming for pure objectivity with as little subjectiveness as possible. Then being able to recognize patterns, predict, and so onInvoluntaryDecorum

Even with that qualification it seem strange to aim for a goal you can never reach.
  • Average
    but at the same time I myself have goals that are probably somewhat fanciful.
123456Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet