• Average
    I don't generally measure anything in life, I go by common sense and inference.Tom Storm

To each his own I suppose.
  • Average
    The fact that I can drive a car means I have knowledge of true and false when it comes to negotiating roads and traffic. If not, I would run into a bus or some other inconvenience.Tom Storm

Based on our pragmatic common sense understanding of how driving works in a pragmatic world, a crash is always a possibility. So what?Tom Storm

Correct me if I’m wrong but according to your own understanding of pragmatic truth a car accident would render your beliefs pragmatically false. That’s the only reason I said anything.
  • Tom Storm
    Correct me if I’m wrong but according to your own understanding of pragmatic truth a car accident would render your beliefs pragmatically false. That’s the only reason I said anything.Average

I explained my view of this re-read it. I won't explain it again.
  • Average
    I explained my view of this re-read it. I won't explain it again.Tom Storm

I read your view of this, explain it again. I won’t re-read it.
  • Tom Storm
    You often ask questions and go on tangents when the answer has been given. Sorry bud. Done.
  • Average
    You often ask questions and go on tangents when the answer has been given. Sorry bud. Done.Tom Storm

Good riddance.
  • Tom Storm
    Good riddance.Average

Take care.
  • Average
    To assess familiarity, comfortability with (discussing, reading, hearing) the subject is the most telling signInvoluntaryDecorum

What do you mean?
  • Agent Smith
    I don’t think it’s my job to edify anybody.Average

Your job duty is to justify your position then.
  • L'éléphant
    You’re not really referring to a specific argument.Average
    I am speaking in general. What must be true if xyz is sound and valid -- certainty is true.
    Somehow, I've gotten tired of discussing JTB (justified true belief). It's been talked to death in another forum for years.

:up:
  • Average
    Somehow, I've gotten tired of discussing JTB (justified true belief).L'éléphant

Well I suppose you can always discuss something else with someone else.
  • Average
    Life feels like free choice, That'll do me.Tom Storm

Idk. If you’re only interested in what “feels” true I don’t know why you decided to discuss the subject of what is actually true. I made it explicit that I was interested in how we know if we know something. I was not interested in feelings. I was interested in information and knowledge.
  • Tom Storm
    I was not interested in feelings. I was interested in information and knowledge.Average

Nowhere did I say I am only interested in what feels true. You really need to read more closely.
  • Average
    bro I’m literally going blind trying to read your arguments. I apologize if I’m fucking it up but that is not my intention. I spend way too much time looking at screens.
  • L'éléphant
    Well I suppose you can always discuss something else with someone else.Average
    Or you could exploit its nature and introduce a twist. That would be something.
  • Average
    Or you could exploit its nature and introduce a twist. That would be something.L'éléphant

Exploit the nature of what? What kind of twist do you have in mind?
  • Tom Storm
    No worries.

What I wrote:

The theme of freedom (where did that come from?) has never interested me. Life feels like free choice, That'll do me.Tom Storm

Unpacking that, all I am saying is what people like Sam Harris have said - we may not have free choice, but it sure feels like we do. For me that will do given that I have no control about it.

At no point did I say feelings are all that matter or suggest that knowledge isn't possible. Epistemology is a minefield of a subject.
  • Average
    For me that will do given that I have no control about it.Tom Storm

Fair enough.
  • Average
    Epistemology is a minefield of a subject.Tom Storm

It’s definitely not my favorite.
  • L'éléphant
    Exploit the nature of what? What kind of twist do you have in mind?Average
    I mean how else can you breathe life into JTB? Do you have an idea of how to revive this epistemological view?
  • Average
    I’m not sure what view you are referring to. I’m not interested in reviving any doctrine.
123Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.