• Bartricks
    What's causing the dent? The ball. When is it causing it? All the time.
  • Bartricks
    You've described an eternal universeGregory

No I haven't. I pointed out that an eternal universe is not an example of something self-created. If there is an eternal universe then it would be an example of something existing with aseity, not an example of something that has created itself.
  • Haglund
    What's causing the dent? The ball. When is it causing it? All the timeBartricks

That depends on the direction of time. Goes time forward?
  • Gregory

An eternal series does not have aseity because nothing is first to cause the effect. Everything is an effect
  • Bartricks
    That depends on the direction of time. Goes time forward?Haglund

Jesus. No. It. Doesn't. This is pointless as you seem so determined to make this about time and not what it is actually about that we're not going to make any progress. You don't seem to understand the point.
  • Haglund
    You've described an eternal universe
    — Gregory

No I haven't
    Bartricks

Yes you have. A cushion with a ball on it eternally. My god, am I really discussing about a cushion with a ball laying on it eternally? The dent causing the ball to lay on it? What's the problem? Tell me.
  • Bartricks
    Sigh. If you think you can have an actual infinity of prior causes - an incoherent notion - then the universe could be eternal yet that would not amount to it being self-created.

if, on the other hand, there can't be an actual infinity of prior causes, then there would need to be some first causes that are not events. Objects, in other words.

If those objects exist uncreated, then they exist with 'aseity'. That's just what aseity means.

But an object that exists with aseity has not created itself. It hasn't been created at all.

Now, try and address something I argued.
  • Haglund

It's all about time. If time doesn't go forward then what are we looking at? A photograph?
  • Haglund
    Sigh. If you think you can have an actual infinity of prior causes - an incoherent notion - then the universe could be eternal yet that would not amount to it being self-createdBartricks

Why is that an incoherent notion?
  • Bartricks
    It's called an 'example' or 'thought experiment'.

What, you think I think there is actually a canon ball on a cushion somewhere? Christ.

The thought experiment - Kant's, not mine - illustrates the coherence of simultaneous causation.

Now, baby steps - do try and follow the reasoning and stop thinking about the direction of time. If simultaneous causation is coherent - and Kant's thought experiment seems to show it is - then self-creation is coherent.

What does that mean? Does that mean the universe must exist eternally. Er, no. It means that the universe could have created itself. Now, if it did that, would it be existing eternally? No.
  • Gregory

Your way of constructing self creation makes no sense because you don't have eternal time. How can something create itself before it exists. Any way of constructing this amounts to a need for eternity
  • Gregory

There is no argument in the OP
  • Gregory

Simultaneous creation is not self creation.
  • Bartricks
    Yes there is. Read it again. Keep reading it until you understand it. If that doesn't happen then I suggest you return to trying to force that square peg through the round hole - it'll go through eventually.
  • Bartricks
    Simultaneous creation is not self creation.Gregory

Onions aren't cows.

Shall we list some more things that aren't other things?

(Note, you're now going to want to ask questions about onions and cows, yes? Don't).

Simultaneous causation is coherent. If simultaneous causation is coherent, so too is self-creation.

1. If simultaneous causation is coherent, then self-creation is coherent
    2. Simultaneous causation is coherent
    3. Therefore self-creation is coherent

That's called an 'argument'.
  • Gregory

That's not an argument. The first premise is wrong. Those are two different things. Suppose we have minute one with the ball on the cushion. It continuously presses the cushion till minute 2. But there is no answer yet as to creation! The issue of creation is not answered yet. All you have is a local cause
  • Haglund
    The thought experiment - Kant's, not mine - illustrates the coherence of simultaneous causation.Bartricks

It's clearly an incoherent thought process. Why consider the ball and cushion as separate. I see one thing only. Saying the ball and cushion exist apart is not self evident. I see a cushba.

What does that mean? Does that mean the universe must exist eternally. Er, no. It means that the universe could have created itself. Now, if it did that, would it be existing eternally? No.Bartricks

It doesn't mean ziltch. There can be no conclusion drawn from this weird experiment. The universe is eternal and is made by gods. If you think it's self created on the basis of some frozen cushba, be my guest.

How can the cushba even exist without time? Is it a thought about the universe? Is the thought cushba a thought about the universe?

How can you talk about cause and effect without time?
  • Bartricks
    That's not an argument.Gregory

Yes it is.

The first premise is wrong. Those are two different things.Gregory

Read the OP.

Why might someone suppose self-creation to be impossible?

The only reason I have ever encountered is this one: it would require the created thing to exist prior to its own creation.

If simultaneous causation is coherent, then self-creation does 'not' require the created thing to exist prior to its own creation.

Thus, if simultaneous causation is coherent there is no reason to think self-creation incoherent.

That was all in the OP. The OP that you either didn't read or that you are incapable of understanding. So this is entirely pointless, is it not? You don't know what an argument is or how to argue or what implies what.
  • Bartricks
    I really can't spoon feed you this stuff anymore. It's going all over your bib.
  • Gregory

More sophistry. The mechanics of simultaneous causality is not related to how you defined self creation
  • Gregory

All your first premises are wrong.
  • Gregory

Creating oneself is the same as something from nothing.
  • Haglund

I return the spoon. Stick it in your... wherever you want, and enjoy the self created infliction.
  • Bartricks
    You don't seem to read what I say. I explained earlier that it is not.

If self creation is coherent, then there can be nothing and then something.

That isn't something from nothing. That's nothing and then something. The cause of teh something is not the nothing, but the something itself.
  • Bartricks
    I have put it in my Haglund.
  • Gregory

But that can't exist like a ball on a pillow that has no time. If time is eternal the series can exist by the fact it moves while existing. What you propose is a theory of time which wasn't given much detail in you OP
  • Bartricks
    Like I say, read the OP and try and address something argued in it.
  • jgill
    If self creation is coherent, then there can be nothing and then something.
    That isn't something from nothing. That's nothing and then something. The cause of teh [the] something is not the nothing, but the something itself.
    Bartricks

Moments of clarity like this make a mockery of claims that all that is worthwhile has been mined from philosophy. :chin:
  • Haglund
    Moments of clarity like this make a mockery of claims that all that is worthwhile has been mined from philosophyjgill

:lol:

You make me laugh out loudly!
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube