• Jackson
    Art for art’s sake, if that’s your meaning, predates FN.praxis

Absolutely not. Just the opposite.
  • praxis

What you mean or the history? Please elaborate either way.
  • Jackson
    What you mean or the history? Please elaborate either way.praxis

The aesthetics of production has nothing to do with art for art sake. Like I said, it is about meaning and the production of meaning.
  • Joshs

Here’s one source. Sounds like it relies on formalistic notions of art as aesthetic object. For Nietzsche the art would be in the creative act, not the formal properties of the object.

“Taken from the French, the term "l'art pour l'art," (Art for Art's Sake) expresses the idea that art has an inherent value independent of its subject-matter, or of any social, political, or ethical significance. By contrast, art should be judged purely on its own terms: according to whether or not it is beautiful, capable of inducing ecstasy or revery in the viewer through its formal qualities (its use of line, color, pattern, and so on). The concept became a rallying cry across nineteenth-century Britain and France, partly as a reaction against the stifling moralism of much academic art and wider society, with the writer Oscar Wilde perhaps its most famous champion. Although the phrase has been little used since the early twentieth century, its legacy lived on in many twentieth-century ideas concerning the autonomy of art, notably in various strains of formalism.”

“The creating of possibilities for the will on the basis of which the will to power first frees itself to itself is for Nietzsche the essence of art. In keeping with this metaphysical concept, Nietzsche does not think under the heading "art" solely or even primarily of the aesthetic realm of the artist. Art is the essence
    of all willing that opens up perspectives and takes possession of them.”(Heidegger, The Word of Nietzsche).
  • praxis
    it is about meaning and the production of meaning.Jackson

I just don’t see how this is in any way a radical idea.
  • Jackson
    I just don’t see how this is in any way a radical idea.praxis

Well, look at most aesthetics today and it is mostly Kantian--the oppposite of Nietzsche.

And I don't think any philosopher in history is "radical" in so far as they build on previous work.
  • Joshs
    And I don't think any philosopher is history is "radical" in so far as they build on previous work.Jackson

I dont know about that. Of course there is always a history to be referred back to , but philosophy is transformative rather than cumulative.
  • Jackson
    I dont know about that. Of course there is always a history to be referred back to , but philosophy is transformative rather than cumulative.Joshs

I would never use the word "radical" to describe any philosopher.
  • Joshs
    I would never use the word "radical" to describe any philosopher.Jackson

Who would you use it for? A scientist? Technologist? Political theorist? Are radical politics not really radical? Are Kuhn’s scientific revolutions revolutionary without being radical?
  • Jackson
    Who would you use it for? A scientist? Technologist? Political theorist? Are radical politics not radical?Joshs

In all seriousness, the only people talking about "radical" are conservatives. Not that you are conservative, but the term seems to be pejorative. Or, that a thinker's ideas are so original that they are named radical. But this seems to be more from the popular mind.
  • Joshs
    In all seriousness, the only people talking about "radical" are conservativesJackson

But the term ‘revolutionary’ is still quite
    commonly used in science and philosophy. Is this different from ‘radical’?
  • Jackson
    But the term ‘revolutionary’ is still quite
    commonly used in science and philosophy. Is this different from ‘radical’?
    Joshs

What philosophers do you call revolutionary?
  • Joshs

What philosophers do you call revolutionary?Jackson

Kant, Nietzsche, Heidegger, for starters.
  • Jackson
    Kant, Nietzsche, Heidegger, for starters.Joshs

Sure, no problem.
    But I'll take Hume over Kant. Kant is more influential in analytic philosophy, but I think Hume is correct and refutes Kant. Kant just normalizes the conventions of science.
  • Jack Cummins

I know that Spinoza says that will and the intellect are the same thing, but I am not sure that it is as simple in practice. Philosophy and psychology may emphasise the rational, but I still wonder whether in daily life rationality is as powerful as many would like to believe, or how much of human life is often driven by irrational aspects of human motivation. Cognitive behavioral therapy and reflection may help, but they may not be the norm. Perhaps, human beings have a long way to go in reaching the idea of 'superman' yet.
  • Joshs
    Kant is more influential in analytic philosophy, but I think Hume is correct and refutes Kant. Kant just normalizes the conventions of science.
    3m
    Jackson

All major figures in Continental philosophy since 1800 are Kantian in a certain sense, and generally acknowledge that fact
  • Jackson
    All major figures in Continental philosophy since 1800 are Kantian in a certain sense, and generally acknowledge that factJoshs

Maybe. But Hegel is at least as influential.
  • Paine

An interesting counterpoint to Spinoza cancelling the notion of will as ether a prerogative of the divine or what individuals do is that he places much value in being less stupid as an agent of change in the world.
  • Jackson

The idea that art is about production goes back to Aristotle:

"Now action is for the sake of an end; therefore the nature of
    things also is so. Thus if a house, e.g., had been a thing made by nature, it would
    have been made in the same way as it is now by art; and if things made by nature
    were made not only by nature but also by art, they would come to be in the same
    way as by nature. The one, then, is for the sake of the other; and generally art in
    some cases completes what nature cannot bring to a finish, and in others imitates
    nature." (Aristotle, Physics; 199a9-19)

Notice, "art...completes what nature cannot bring to a finish."
  • 180 Proof
    Well, I only bring up Spinoza to ground some of the philosophy of mind on this topic. The point is, as far as contemporary cognitive neuroscience (see the link provided in my last post) is concerned, there isn't much of a "debate" on "the relation of will and intellect": compatibilism (i.e. conditional-constrained volition) is the least problematic position.
  • Jack Cummins

I have just looked at the link because I didn't notice it before. It is an interesting. I suppose this may be where psychiatry comes into the picture of posthumanist possibilities, because there are ways to fix the human emotions. I would like to read Damasco's ideas further because the philosophy of mind does raise the issue of volition and how much is physical and how much is the brain, because emotions are at the interface between mind and body.

The will may be hard to pin down here because it is connected to the physical brain and deeper aspects of concepts arising in human thought or culture. Taking this back to the cultural elements, even the concept of the 'superman' or 'overman' is bound up with the construction of what the highest evolutionary possibilities are, and what is practically or morally desirable from specific viewpoints.
  • 180 Proof
    Taking this back to the cultural elements, even the concept of the 'superman' or 'overman' is bound up with the construction of what the highest evolutionary possibilities are, and what is practically or morally desirable from specific viewpoints.Jack Cummins
    :up:
  • praxis
    The idea that art is about production goes back to Aristotle:

"Now action is for the sake of an end; therefore the nature of
    things also is so. Thus if a house, e.g., had been a thing made by nature, it would
    have been made in the same way as it is now by art; and if things made by nature
    were made not only by nature but also by art, they would come to be in the same
    way as by nature. The one, then, is for the sake of the other; and generally art in
    some cases completes what nature cannot bring to a finish, and in others imitates
    nature." (Aristotle, Physics; 199a9-19)

Notice, "art...completes what nature cannot bring to a finish."
    Jackson

I was never good with Greek riddles.

Maybe the meaning is that art is the creative act? If so, I’ll point out that creativity isn’t exclusive to art production, and also that art can be reproduced without creativity.
  • Jackson
    I was never good with Greek riddles.praxis

Riddle? Just say you did not understand it.
  • praxis
    Riddle? Just say you did not understand it.Jackson

:grin: I thought that’s what I did say. No help?
  • Jackson
    I thought that’s what I did say. No help?praxis

Sorry, my mistake. I posted that passage to show that Aristotle's idea of art is treat it as producing things. Not just entertainment.
  • praxis
    Jackson, being about as useful as Anne Frank's drum-kit, forced me to seek the answer for myself so I let my fingers do some googling and discovered after a few minutes of reading that the Nietch thought something to the effect that aesthetic experience might just fill the God-shaped hole left in the wake of modernity or, to put it another way, serve as the key to unlock the iron cage of reason.

Nietzsche famously proclaimed that “only as an aesthetic phenomenon is existence and the world eternally justified.”

I suppose this was revolutionary thinking back in the old-timey days of the nineteenth century.
  • Jackson
    Jackson, being about as useful as Anne Frank's drum-kit, fpraxis

Will you people writing constant insults please get some manners!
  • Joshs
    Nietzsche famously proclaimed that “only as an aesthetic phenomenon is existence and the world eternally justified.”

I suppose this was revolutionary thinking back in the old-timey days of the nineteenth century.
    praxis

Still is, at least the way Nietzsche meant it.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.