Guy Standing
    Joseph Stiglitz
    Diedre McCloskey
    Shoshana Duboff
    Yanis Varoufakis
    Mariana Mazzucato
    Slavoj Žižek
  • Mikie
    All proletarians are wage-laborers, but not all wage-laborers are proletarians.Moliere

I include anyone who makes a wage and isn’t an owner part of the proletariat. There can be gradations, but it’s on par with white and blue collar, upper middle and middle class, etc.
  • Moliere
    M'kay, let's work with those terms then. I'm not finicky when it comes to terms.

Wage-laborers are proletarians, and proletarians are wage-laborers. The abolition of capitalism is the abolition of the wage system in any capacity, so co-ops count as a sort of abolition-in-miniature.

I would assert that the current international economic system, at the scope of nations, relies upon exploitation, and there is a bottom class on this scale. On the top, it seems, we are in agreement -- the bourgeoisie.

Do you disagree with my characterization of that class? Or are we in agreement there?

On the bottom, so I'd say, there's the global south and the whole history of colonialism to account for -- material resources have been plundered the world over using the mechanisms of the economic system we live with now.

So abolish capitalism in miniature -- or even lets say at a certain scale? -- and there's still this past and current history of nations exploiting, externalizing the bottom-labor to other national markets to protect their own. This exploitation will continue to exist, and that's the one I care about.
  • Tate
    So abolish capitalism in miniature -- or even lets say at a certain scale? -- and there's still this past and current history of nations exploiting, externalizing the bottom-labor to other national markets to protect their own. This exploitation will continue to exist, and that's the one I care about.Moliere

Utopia in miniature is a step toward larger scale change. Focus on the world around you. Engage it with your vision in mind. Allow the bigger world to unfold according to its own inner logic. Know you're making a difference by starting small.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.