• Banno
    philosophyClub1.jpg

So... what is the first rule of Philosophy Club?
  • _db
    Rule number one: Don't ever philosophize while under the influence of hallucinogenic drugs.
  • Pneumenon
    If we could agree on the first rule, there would be no need for philosophy club...
  • Baden
    The first rule is that the rule that can be spoken is not the first rule.
  • Hanover
    We should dispense with the formality of trying to make rules and move right to the business of insulting one another.
  • Baden
    The second rule is no Hanovers. Or maybe that should be the first rule?
  • Cavacava

"This is your life and its ending one moment at a time.”
  • yazata
    The first rule might arguably be, 'Treat the opinions of philosophers merely as suggestions for further discussion, not as religious-style revelations that must be accepted merely on the philosopher's authority'. (That includes you too, Wittgenstein.)

That particular first rule probably applies self-referentially to the rule itself. Which might be why philosophers rarely seem to progress from A to B.
  • Baden
    I think I have it worked out now :

The first rule is that the first rule is a paradox so ignore it.
    The second rule is no Hanovers.
    The third rule is "Thou shalt not kill" (except in the case that that conflicts with the second rule).

You're welcome.
  • TimeLine
    The first rule is that the first rule is a paradox so ignore it.
    The second rule is no Hanovers.
    The third rule is "Thou shalt not kill" (except in the case that that conflicts with the second rule).
    Baden

So there are no rules?
  • Shawn
    I see this as a perversion of philosophy and Wittgenstein. As if rules were needed prior to the use of reason and ethics.
  • unenlightened
    I see this as a perversion of philosophy and Wittgenstein. As if rules were needed prior to the use of reason and ethics.Question

So the first rule is that philosophy club shall be anarchic or perverse?

I would give my vote to

1. Play nice.
  • Shawn
    So the first rule is that philosophy club shall be anarchic or perverse?unenlightened

Whereof one cannot speak, thereof things must be shown in action.
  • BC
    Rules? We don't need no stinking rules.

paraphrase from Blazing Saddles
  • Banno
    It's all going swimmingly, isn't it!
  • Wosret
    There are currently over eight thousand rules of philosophy club, and I of course cannot expound them all here, and will rather do so arbitrarily when it suits me, and if I happen to give two rules with the same number, then that just means that I forgot to mention that it was section B of the rule, or whatever.

First rule of philosophy club is to always operate within the rules, of which I'm the sole arbiter.
  • Shawn
    Yeah but who enforces the rules?
  • Wosret

Honour code. Have you no honour!
  • TimeLine
    Honour code.Wosret

What is honour code?
  • Wosret

You know, we shame each other into it.
  • TimeLine
    So we turn on each other. Fair deuce, was right.
  • Sir2u
    #1 Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
    unless they disagree with your ideas
    then shoot them.
  • TimeLine
    "Love thy neighbour as thyself. Unless he's Turkish, in which case kill the bastard!" King Richard.
  • Noble Dust
    Isn't the first rule of philosophy club to not talk about philosophy club?...
  • Michael
    Isn't the first rule of philosophy club to not talk about philosophy club?...Noble Dust

Given that rules, insofar as they can be understood, can only be understood by how the community of rule followers participates in the activities involved in the rule, and given that we're all talking about philosophy club, then no.
  • Noble Dust

I was referring to Fight Club...
  • Michael
    I was referring to Fight Club...Noble Dust

Dude, the first rule of Fight Club is to not talk about Fight Club. Now we're both disqualified.
  • Cavacava
    Perhaps there are just definitions.
  • Banno
    Not "Do undo others before they undo you"?
  • Moliere
    It seems to me that there is no the first rule -- but rather, there are first rules. And depending on which first rule you state first that has a kind of guiding force on what follows.

The first rule of philosophy club is "know yourself" -- followed hastily by "but not just yourself"
  • Cavacava
    Many clubs have presidents, and/or other people who make necessary decisions for the club as a whole. I suspect that it is due to undesirable behavior that rules are formed, and that only a strong president, a sovereign can make an exception to established rules.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment