• Agent Smith
    What is wisdom (sophia)?

Anyone and I mean anyone can come to the right conclusion, make the best choice, find the correct solution to a problem, if a) that anyone is rational and b) that anyone has all the information necessary for the aforementioned tasks. This is not wisdom (even garden variety computers can do this with ease).

There are some among us - sages - who, despite not possessing all the information necessary, come to the right conclusion, make the best choices, find the correct solution to a problem. This is wisdom.

To cut to the chase, the wise aren't omniscient but then they do things as if they are omniscient.

Wisdom = Pseudo-omniscience!

A wise person is just like the rest of us, in the dark, but he thinks/speaks/acts as if he has a lamp (lit of course) when actually he does not.

How do they (sages) do that?

That, my friend, is the right question. — Dr. Lanning (I Robot)
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.