• Outlander
    In any case, (3) isn’t rhetorical: where do the profits go?Mikie

Hookers and blow? /shrugs

Being wealthy is stressful. You can't just go anywhere and do anything anymore, despite most believing the opposite. Unless you're an idiot, your life as a normal citizen is over, including that of anyone you care about.

I know of people who have been held for ransom for as little as a few thousand dollars. Imagine making twice that in the time it takes to take a breath. It's scary.

The answer is the same of what any person anywhere would spend their money (or even in an a society devoid of money, time) on. Maintaining and improving their livelihood (in this case the business) and keeping oneself sane enough to actually wish to continue doing so (leisure).
  • schopenhauer1

:up: Indeed. We are all thrown into something given, not of our own.
    Men make their own history, but they do not make it as they please; they do not make it under circumstances of their own choosing, but under circumstances existing already, given and transmitted from the past. The tradition of all dead generations weighs like a nightmare on the brains of the living.

My interests lie in this intractable injustice of the unwanted given. No one’s interested in that one because the change needed for it is not causing a major preference that people hold.

We can be revolutionary, but not too revolutionary.
  • Jamal
    But still, “men make their own history”. We couldn’t even do that without being thrown into a world to begin with. Choosing doesn’t apply to when and where and how you are born, only to what comes a few years later. It’s like that, and that’s the way it is.
  • schopenhauer1
    It’s like that, and that’s the way it is.Jamal

It’s like that only if that situation is brought about, no? I’m not a fan of is making a contingency into an inevitability. Can’t one both provide the minor solutions to alleviate the problems that occur from the decision and call for not creating the problem in the first place? Why not the latter?
  • Jamal
    Because antinatalism is the same as the sexual enjoyment of coprophagia. In many societies there’s going to be a few people who are into it.
  • schopenhauer1

All truth passes through three stages: First, it is ridiculed; second, it is violently opposed; and third, it is accepted as self-evident. — Schopenhauer

Somewhere between 1 and 2.
  • schopenhauer1

Also, mind you, to not throw stones in glass houses. Many people are pretty disgusted with views like Marxism. I've written pretty extensively about the ad populum fallacy, and I know you know this fallacy is pervasive with a lot of ideas that people are knee-jerk hostile towards.

And it's not so simple as "this view is ultra violent" (it's not). Or that it is ultra-difficult (it's not). Or that it targets a particular group (it doesn't, it's universal). It's simply against people's conventional preferences. It's like eating meat, etc. But I am done with this tangent. Just needed that on the record.
1234Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.