• Pantagruel
    What exemplifies Philosophy?

I haven't included every single type of philosophy or field but rather attempted to group by what I see as reasonably modern themes. I'm aware that there is an element of apples-to-oranges, that epistemological traditions are being compared with metaphysical, etc.. I'm interested in what people think best exemplifies philosophical thought. Perhaps it cannot even be exemplified?

Please don't include comments about "other" for every single type of categorization I've missed. Only if you think that category best exemplifies what philosophy is or should be. I picked what I thought the most likely candidates.
    1. What type of philosophy most exemplifies what philosophy is or should be to you? (13 votes)
        Logical, analytical, linguistic - e.g. Frege
        23%
        Phenomenological-existential - e.g. Sartre
        23%
        Social-Ethical - e.g. Dewey
        23%
        Metaphysical - e.g. Whitehead
        15%
        Empiricist - e.g. Russell
        8%
        Other - please comment with a category and example
        8%
  • Jamal
    I voted Social-Ethical, but my real answer is “all of the above”, that Social-Ethical philosophy depends on or feeds off all the others.
  • Pantagruel
    I wanted to pick Metaphysical because I have a sinister preoccupation with the ultimate nature of reality. But I also went the social route. As you say, elements of the various traditions comingle....
  • 180 Proof
    I think I misunderstood the question. Instead of "... (e.g. Frege)" I should have selected "Other" ...

... Ontological-Ethical (e.g. Epicurus, Spinoza).
  • Pantagruel
    Who would you cite as a modern exponent of the Metaphysical-Ethical tradition?
  • bert1
    I picked phenomenological as the subject to which philosophy has the most relevance, but logic and conceptual cleanliness is perhaps the next. And then all of them.
  • Pantagruel
    The reason I didn't pick metaphysical is that I think the phenomenological subject exemplifies the most metaphysically interesting aspects of reality. But then I think that subject is relevant through the mechanism of the social-weltanschauung.
  • Jamal
    Because “exemplifies” and even “best exemplifies” are a bit vague, won’t this just devolve to picking favourites, or answering as to which is most important?
  • Pantagruel
    Hmmm. Maybe I should have said contemporary. Do you think there are any contemporary heirs to the tradition of Spinoza?
  • javi2541997
    What type of philosophy most exemplifies what philosophy is or should be to you?Pantagruel

I picked empiricist. I am aware that is an "old-fashioned" (I guess...) philosophical category. Yet, I think some works, such as "an essay of human understanding" are among the most important philosophical treatises.
    John Locke is one the of the main philophers of modernity, even if he is not now the most popular.
  • Pantagruel
    Because “exemplifies” and even “best exemplifies” are a bit vague, won’t this just devolve to picking favourites, or answering as to which is most important?Jamal

I don't consider exemplification to be a vague concept. Wouldn't you agree that the premise of exemplification is to illustrate and clarify?
  • Pantagruel
    I agree, and I considered creating a very broad category of "Philosophical Systems" for such radically different thinkers as Hegel, Locke, Schopenhauer. Philosophies of great scope, depth and, well, systematicity. I am a big fan of a system. Even if it has flaws, a system represents a great investment of effort.
  • 180 Proof
    Do you think there are any contemporary heirs to the tradition of Spinoza?Pantagruel
    Gilles Deleuze et al ...
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Spinozist_philosophers
    It may really be said: You are either a Spinozist or not a philosopher at all. — G.W.F. Hegel
    :fire:
  • Jamal
    I don't consider exemplification to be a vague concept. Wouldn't you agree that the premise of exemplification is to illustrate and clarify?Pantagruel

I don’t think so. To exemplify is to be an example of, and to best exemplify is to be the best example of. So, applied to these branches of philosophy, that leaves a lot of room for interpretation. All of them are examples of philosophy, and which is best raises the question “in what way?”
  • Jamal
    More charitably, I suppose it can be interpreted to mean “which of these is the most philosophical?” Or “the most typical of philosophy”.
  • Moliere
    Phenomenological-existential.

Buuut... I think that for my own case, at least, is correct about why I chose it: I like these philosophers.

I wonder, though, if there is a philosophical reason I like them, rather than just a personal reason -- which I'd be more apt to believe the personal reason, it'd be interesting if there was some underlying philosophical aesthetic that makes these choices the choices we're thinking about, too.
  • Pantagruel
    Gilles Deleuze et al ...
    It may really be said: You are either a Spinozist or not a philosopher at all.
    — G.W.F. Hegel
    180 Proof

:up:
  • Pantagruel
    More charitably, I suppose it can be interpreted to mean “which of these is the most philosophical?” Or “the most typical of philosophy”.Jamal

Yes. Although, not to quibble, but isn't the entire point of providing an example to clarify? For example, I could provide the truth tables for inclusive versus exclusive disjunctions, which may not be very informative to some people. Or I can offer you can't have your cake and eat it too as an example of an exclusive disjunction, which is much clearer.
  • Pantagruel
    I wonder, though, if there is a philosophical reason I like them, rather than just a personal reason -- which I'd be more apt to believe the personal reason, it'd be interesting if there was some underlying philosophical aesthetic that makes these choices the choices we're thinking about, too.Moliere

If your personal aesthetic is philosophical, then your personal reasons might also be?
  • Jamal
    Although, not to quibble …Pantagruel

That’s ok, I started it.

So, which branch of philosophy serves as an example of philosophy that clarifies … what exactly? What philosophy is, maybe?

Anyway don’t worry, I have no intention of pursuing this further, unless your next reply is so provocative that I can’t resist.
  • Moliere
    True!

But as soon as I put words to it I can think of a rebuttal in terms of thinking of which is best :D

Even directly -- I was thinking how phenomenological-existential philosophy is "accessible" because we're all subjects, as opposed to scientific or political leaders (which traditional, even Modern, philosophy addresses itself to). But then the terminology is far from accessible without work put in, and then you get some of the same themes from what at first blush may appear "at odds" with the phenomenological-existential approach with, say, linguistic or empiricist philosophy.

I suppose that while I can pick one in the bunch, as soon as I justify it I can think of a reason to pick another one.
  • Joshs
    What type of philosophy most exemplifies what philosophy is or should be to you?

Logical, analytical, linguistic - e.g. Frege
    Phenomenological-existential - e.g. Sartre
    Social-Ethical - e.g. Dewey
    Metaphysical - e.g. Whitehead
    Empiricist - e.g. Russell
    Pantagruel

I think these categories are too broad to do justice to the authors you associate with them. How about putting forth a grouping of philosophers based on family resemblance?
    For instance:

Hume
    Locke
    Spinoza
    Leibniz
    Descartes

Russell
    Frege

Hegel
    Schopenhauer
    Marx
    Kierkegaard

Zizek
    Lacan
    Freud
    Badieu
    Butler
    Adorno

Davidson
    Quine
    Sellars
    Rorty
    Putnam

Dewey
    Peirce
    Meade
    James

Heidegger
    Merleau-ponty
    Sartre
    Husserl

Deleuze
    Foucault
    Derrida
    Lyotard
    Baudrillard

Now that I’ve complied these, I see that they fit rather
    easily into categories:

Enlightenment
    Analytic
    Hegelian-Post Hegelian
    Structuralist-Critical Theory
    Post-Analytic
    Pragmatist
    Phenomenology
    Poststructuralism
  • Pantagruel
    No doubt, there is a rabbit-hole there. If you don't feel that it is possible to create a category along the lines I did - primary tradition and recent exponent - I get it.
  • Pantagruel
    So, which branch of philosophy serves as an example of philosophy that clarifies … what exactly? What philosophy is, maybe?Jamal

Well hermeneutics perhaps. But then, is that a philosophy, or a tool? Depends who you read. Ricouer covers a lot of ground, and he uses hermeneutics liberally.
  • Pantagruel
    Gilles Deleuze et al ...
    It may really be said: You are either a Spinozist or not a philosopher at all.
    — G.W.F. Hegel
    180 Proof

Would you say that Spinozaism constitutes a "philosophical system", such that "philosophical systematicity" could be considered a category? Is the exemplariness of Spinoza's work a function of its systematicity?
  • Tom Storm
    I'm interested in what people think best exemplifies philosophical thought. Perhaps it cannot even be exemplified?Pantagruel

I agree with this last part. I think of philosophy as a diversity of approaches for not taking anything for granted.
  • Pantagruel
    I agree with this last part. I think of philosophy as a diversity of approaches for not taking anything for granted.Tom Storm

So as a kind of mental training or discipline? I would one-hundred percent endorse that.
  • 180 Proof
    I think of philosophy as a diversity of approaches for not taking anything for granted.Tom Storm
    :up:
  • Manuel
    Depends on one's interest. Interesting to note nobody chose "metaphysics", which can't be right on a forum of this size. I think the example of Whitehead might be too polarizing, often it's hard to figure out what the heck he's saying, though there are some who interpret him in an interesting manner.

For my own interests, mostly the "manifest image" of everyday life, I think there's a lot of interesting ground that could be covered by an epistemological oriented metaphysics, as exemplified by C.I. Lewis and more recently by Raymond Tallis.

But there's just so much value to most of these approaches and subjects.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.