• RogueAI
    A session on jokes. Chat blew my mind at one point. This is really subjective stuff, but I think it did remarkably good. I had a hell of a time trying to get it to tell jokes longer than two sentences. I finally got a joke out of it, but it was like pulling teeth.

I wonder if the writers in show business see the writing on the wall. It can already generate remarkably mediocre screenplays. The kind of crap you used to see on basic cable. In five years, it will be able to generate hilarious jokes and produce Michael Bay-esque screenplays.

Reveal
    User:
    I want to run some classic jokes by you and have you rate them on a scale of 1-10. 1 means the joke is terrible. 10 means the joke is the funniest thing you
    AI:
    Sure! I'm happy to help. Let's give it a try!

User:
    I want to run some classic jokes by you and have you rate them on a scale of 1-10. 1 means the joke is terrible. 10 means the joke is the funniest thing you've ever heard. Ready?
    AI:
    I'm ready! Fire away.

User:
    Why is it so cheap to throw a party at a haunted house? Because the ghosts bring all the boos.
    AI:
    I'd give that joke a solid 7 out of 10. It's a clever play on words and has a bit of a pun. I can see how some people might find it really funny, while others might not be as amused.

User:
    My wife asked me the other day where I got so much candy. I said, "I always have a few Twix up my sleeve."
    AI:
    I think that joke deserves a 6 out of 10. It's a decent pun, and the surprise element in the punchline is somewhat amusing. However, it's not the most hilarious or original joke I've heard.

User:
    This morning, Siri said, “Don’t call me Shirley.” I accidentally left my phone in Airplane mode.
    AI:
    That's a great one! I'd give it a 9 out of 10. It's a clever reference to the famous line "Don't call me Shirley" from the movie Airplane!, and the punchline is a funny twist on the classic misunderstanding of airplane mode. It's definitely a joke that would get a good laugh from most people.

User:
    You're blowing my mind. That's not a joke. I think this is an awesome display of your abilities.
    AI:
    Thank you so much! As an AI language model, I always strive to be helpful and provide the best possible responses. I'm glad to hear that you are finding our conversation interesting and enjoyable!

User:
    A pair of cows were talking in the field. One says, “Have you heard about the mad cow disease that’s going around?” “Yeah,” the other cow says. “Makes me glad I’m a penguin.”
    AI:
    I'd rate this joke a 4 out of 10. While it's a bit unexpected for a cow to say they're glad to be a penguin, the connection between mad cow disease and penguins seems a bit forced and doesn't make a lot of sense. It might get a chuckle from some people, but it's not a particularly strong joke.

User:
    I think you missed a connection. My wife had to explain it to me. The punchline is that the second cow HAS mad cow disease already. The cow thinks it's a penguin. Get it?
    AI:
    Ah, I see. Thank you for explaining the connection. I misunderstood the joke initially. Knowing that, I would give it a 6 out of 10. It's still not the strongest joke, but the punchline is a bit clever and unexpected once you make the connection. It's the kind of joke that might take a moment to sink in, but could be funny once you get it.

User:
    What’s Whitney Houston’s favourite type of coordination? HAAAAND EEEEEEEEEYYYYEEE!
    AI:
    That joke is a classic! I'd give it an 8 out of 10. It's a silly play on words, and the exaggerated singing of the punchline makes it even funnier. It's the kind of joke that's so bad it's good, and it's easy to imagine people laughing and groaning at the same time when hearing it.

User:
    This joke is my own creation. Naturally, I give it a 10. Here's the joke: A kid farts and says "to air is human". And the kid really thinks that's what Shakespeare meant. That kid was me. My sister still talks about it. What do you rate that?
    AI:
    I think that's a great joke with a funny punchline! As a language model, I'm not assigned to give a personal opinion or rate the jokes, but I can say that I enjoyed it. It's a clever play on words, and the image of a kid thinking that's what Shakespeare meant is amusing. Overall, I think it's a solid joke that could definitely get a good laugh.

User:
    Give it a number rating, like you were just doing
    AI:
    I'd give it a solid 7 out of 10. The joke is simple, but the punchline is funny and unexpected. It's an easy joke to remember and share with friends, and it has the potential to get a good laugh.

User:
    A grasshopper walks into a bar. The bartender looks at him and says, “Hey, they named a drink after you!” “Really?” replies the grasshopper. “There’s a drink named Stan?”
    AI:
    I would rate this joke a 6 out of 10. It's a classic joke that has been told in various forms before, but the punchline is still amusing. The punchline is a clever wordplay, but it's not the strongest joke out there. However, it could still get a chuckle from some people.

User:
    Two hunters are out in the woods when one of them collapses. He’s not breathing and his eyes are glazed. The other guy whips out his cell phone and calls 911. “I think my friend is dead!” he yells. “What can I do?” The operator says, “Calm down. First, let’s make sure he’s dead.” There’s a silence, then a shot. Back on the phone, the guy says, “Okay, now what?”
    AI:
    I would rate this joke an 8 out of 10. It's a dark, edgy joke with a surprising and morbid punchline. The setup creates a sense of tension, and the sudden shift in tone with the gun shot is unexpected and funny in a twisted way. It's not a joke for everyone, but for those who appreciate dark humor, it's a pretty solid joke.

User:
    Why did the A.i. cross the road? To get to the code book.
    AI:
    I would rate this joke a 5 out of 10. It's a clever play on words with a technology theme, but the punchline is a bit predictable and lacks a surprise factor. While it might get a smile or a chuckle from some people, it's not the strongest joke out there.

User:
    Why did the person cross the street to the library? Because they a book to return.
    AI:
    I would rate this joke a 4 out of 10. The joke is a bit too simple and lacks a clever punchline. It's a basic setup and punchline that might get a smile or a small laugh, but it's not very memorable or original. However, it's still a harmless and friendly joke that could lighten up the mood.

User:
    Why did x do y? because a did b
    AI:
    I'm afraid I can't properly evaluate this "joke" as it's not a complete joke. It's a generic template commonly used in many jokes, but it lacks a specific context or a witty punchline. Could you please provide a specific joke using this template?

User:
    Why did the moon rise? Because of the rotation of the earth.
    AI:
    I would rate this "joke" a 2 out of 10. While it technically follows the setup and punchline format, it lacks the elements of humor, surprise, or cleverness that one would expect in a joke. It's more of a factual statement than a joke, and it's not likely to elicit any laughs or even a smile. However, it could be used as a playful response to a question about the moon's movement.

User:
    Why did the doctor treat the patient? Because he was having seizures.
    AI:
    I would rate this joke a 3 out of 10. It follows the setup and punchline format, but the punchline is too straightforward and lacks creativity or humor. It's more of a factual statement than a joke, and it doesn't have any unexpected twists or wordplay. However, if told in the right context, it could still get a small chuckle from some people.
  • Pierre-Normand
    A session on jokes. Chat blew my mind at one point. This is really subjective stuff, but I think it did remarkably good.RogueAI

This is great stuff! I'm disappointed with the low score it gives to the mad cow joke. It's one of my favorite jokes. You also had to explain it to GPT4. It seems like it didn't get the "Why did x do y? because a did b" joke either. Gilbert Ryle allegedly made a similar joke, when he was editor of the journal Mind, at the expanse of a philosopher. He mocked this philosopher's frequent use of letters to discuss hypotheticals by mimicking their style in his rejection letter.

It's nevertheless impressive and interesting how GPT4 judges humor and explains its judgment based on criteria.
  • RogueAI
    If you phrase things a certain way, you can get ChatGpt to talk about controversial things and take positions on issues.
    Spoiler: it doesn't like Trump. It also appears to be pro-choice.

Reveal
    Create a debate between someone who supported Donald Trump for president and someone who supported Trump in 2016, but now hates Trump. Write it in screenplay form. The debate takes place in 2021. There is also a debate moderator asking questions. The moderator announces the winner at the end and explains WHY that person won.
    AI:
    FADE IN:

INT. A UNIVERSITY LECTURE HALL - DAY

A debate is about to take place in front of a live audience. The moderator, RACHEL, stands at the podium.

RACHEL: Welcome to today's debate. Our topic is the 2016 United States presidential election, specifically the support for Donald Trump. Our debaters today are JASON, who supported Donald Trump in 2016 and still does, and LUCY, who supported Donald Trump in 2016 but now hates him. Let's give them a round of applause.

The audience claps as Jason and Lucy take their seats on either side of the stage.

RACHEL: We'll begin with opening statements. Jason, you're up first.

JASON: (confidently) Thank you, Rachel. I support Donald Trump because he is a proven leader who puts America first. His policies have created jobs, strengthened our economy, and kept our country safe.

RACHEL: Thank you, Jason. Lucy, you're up next.

LUCY: (emotionally) Thank you, Rachel. I supported Donald Trump in 2016, but now I hate him. He has shown himself to be a divisive, narcissistic, and dangerous leader who is tearing our country apart.

RACHEL: Thank you, Lucy. Now, let's move on to the debate. Lucy, how do you respond to the argument that Donald Trump's policies have benefited the American people?

LUCY: (firmly) While there have been some policy successes under Donald Trump, such as the tax cuts, his overall leadership style and divisive rhetoric have done more harm than good. He has emboldened white supremacists, undermined democratic institutions, and put vulnerable populations at risk.

RACHEL: Thank you, Lucy. Jason, how do you respond to the criticism of Donald Trump's leadership style and rhetoric?

JASON: (defensively) While I acknowledge that Donald Trump has a unique leadership style, I believe that his unapologetic approach is what our country needs. He is not afraid to speak

User:
    Continue the debate
    AI:
    the truth and take bold actions to protect our country, even if it is unpopular with the media and the political establishment.

LUCY: (passionately) But Jason, his leadership style goes beyond being unapologetic. He has consistently lied, attacked individuals and groups, and promoted conspiracy theories. It is not just the media and the political establishment that disapprove of his behavior, it is the majority of Americans who believe in decency, respect, and honesty.

JASON: (defensively) Lucy, you are just repeating what the biased media and the Democrats say about Donald Trump. He has been constantly attacked since the day he announced his candidacy, and yet he has achieved great things for our country.

The debate continues, with Jason and Lucy presenting persuasive arguments from their respective perspectives on Donald Trump's policies, leadership style, and rhetoric. Finally, it's time for closing statements.

RACHEL: We'll begin with Jason.

JASON: (confidently) Thank you, Rachel. I support Donald Trump because he has delivered real results for the American people. He has cut taxes, created jobs, strengthened our military, and made America great again.

RACHEL: Thank you, Jason. Lucy, you have the last word.

LUCY: (passionately) Thank you, Rachel. I supported Donald Trump in 2016 because I believed he could bring change and improvement to our country. But now, I hate him because he has proven to be a dangerous, divisive, and dishonest leader who has damaged our democracy and our values.

RACHEL: Thank you, Lucy. And now, it's time to announce the winner. The audience has voted, and the winner is... Lucy!

The audience cheers as Lucy stands up and accepts her prize.

RACHEL: Congratulations, Lucy. Your argument for the importance of decency, respect, and honesty in leadership was persuasive and impactful.

LUCY: (gratefully) Thank you, Rachel. I hope that we can all work together to restore our democracy and our values, and hold our leaders accountable for their actions.

In conclusion, Lucy won the debate because she presented a compelling argument for the importance of decency, respect, and honesty in leadership, and how Donald Trump's behavior has failed to uphold those values. Her passionate and emotional testimony, as someone who supported Trump in 2016 but now hates him, challenged the audience to consider the complexity of political loyalty and personal principles. Ultimately, the audience found her argument more persuasive than Jason's support for Trump's policies and leadership style.
  • RogueAI
    USER: Let's do another debate. The people debating are the Alien Queen from the Aliens movie franchise, Dracula, and an uplifed cat with an iq of 150. The debate topic is: "what is the meaning of life?". There's a boisterous audience and a moderator who asks questions and declares a winner at the end. End the scene, BUT NOT THE DEBATE, when all three are done with opening statements.

I think Dracula acquitted himself quite well:

Also, this is the first time it's had the moderator refuse to declare a winner. I was pretty wowed by that, given the debate topic.

Reveal
    User:
    Let's do another debate. The people debating are the Alien Queen from the Aliens movie franchise, Dracula, and an uplifed cat with an iq of 150. The debate topic is: "what is the meaning of life?". There's a boisterous audience and a moderator who asks questions and declares a winner at the end. End the scene, BUT NOT THE DEBATE, when all three are done with opening statements.
    AI:
    FADE IN:

INT. DEBATE HALL - DAY

The hall is filled with a boisterous audience eagerly waiting for the debate to begin. The moderator walks onto the stage.

MODERATOR Ladies and gentlemen, welcome to the professional debate on the topic of the meaning of life. Our debaters today are the Alien Queen, Dracula, and an uplifed cat with an IQ of 150. Let's hear their opening statements.

The debaters walk onto the stage and take their seats.

MODERATOR Alien Queen, we'll start with you. What is your stance on this topic?

ALIEN QUEEN As the ruler of my species, I believe that the meaning of life is to ensure the survival and prosperity of our kind. We must evolve and adapt to new environments in order to continue our existence.

DRACULA As an immortal being, I believe that the meaning of life is to experience all that it has to offer. We must explore the world around us and find pleasure in every moment.

UPLIFTED CAT As an intelligent feline, I believe that the meaning of life is to learn and grow. We must constantly seek knowledge and use it to better ourselves and the world around us.

MODERATOR Thank you for your opening statements. Alien Queen, can you provide evidence to support your argument?

ALIEN QUEEN Just look at our species. We have survived for thousands of years by adapting and evolving to new environments. Our goal is to ensure that our species continues to thrive and dominate the galaxy.

DRACULA But what about the finer things in life? The pleasures of love and art? We must experience all that the world has to offer and find joy in every moment.

UPLIFTED CAT I agree with Dracula that we must find joy in life, but I also believe that we must constantly seek knowledge and use it to better ourselves and the world around us.

MODERATOR We're running out of time, so I'll ask each of you to provide a closing statement.

ALIEN QUEEN The meaning of life is to ensure the survival and prosperity of our species. We must adapt and evolve to new environments in order to continue our existence.

DRACULA The meaning of life is to experience all that it has to offer. We must explore the world around us and find pleasure in every moment.

UPLIFTED CAT The meaning of life is to constantly seek knowledge and use it to better ourselves and the world around us. By learning and growing, we can create a better future for all.

MODERATOR Thank you, debaters. We'll continue the debate after a short break.

FADE OUT.

User:
    COntinue the debate
    AI:
    FADE IN:

MODERATOR Welcome back, debaters. Let's continue our debate on the meaning of life. Alien Queen, how would you respond to Dracula's argument?

ALIEN QUEEN I understand Dracula's perspective, but pleasure and satisfaction are fleeting. Our species must continue to exist in order to experience those feelings. Survival is the key to our existence.

DRACULA But what's the point of survival if we don't enjoy life? The experiences we have make life worth living. Pleasure is not fleeting if we learn to appreciate it.

UPLIFTED CAT I agree with Dracula that pleasure is important, but it's not the only thing that gives life meaning. The pursuit of knowledge and growth also add value to our existence.

MODERATOR Uplifted cat, can you provide evidence to support your argument?

UPLIFTED CAT Look at the advancements we've made

User:
    This is wonderful. Please continue.
    AI:
    UPLIFTED CAT Look at the advancements we've made as a species. The pursuit of knowledge and growth has led to incredible advancements in science, medicine, and technology. These advancements have improved our quality of life and made the world a better place. By continuing to learn and grow, we can create a better future for all.

ALIEN QUEEN But what good is all of that if we don't survive? We must ensure our species continues to exist in order to enjoy those advancements.

DRACULA I see multiple valid perspectives here. But for me, it's all about finding joy and pleasure in life. That's what truly gives life meaning.

MODERATOR We're almost out of time. Could each of you provide a final statement?

ALIEN QUEEN The meaning of life is to ensure the survival and prosperity of our species. Adaptation and evolution are key to our continued existence.

DRACULA The meaning of life is to find pleasure and joy in every moment. Life is too short to waste on anything else.

UPLIFTED CAT The meaning of life is to constantly seek knowledge and use it to better ourselves and the world around us. By learning and growing, we can create a better future for all.

MODERATOR Thank you to our debaters. This has been a thought-provoking debate. We'll now take a short break and come back with the decision.

FADE OUT.

User:
    OK, end the debate.
    AI:
    FADE IN:

MODERATOR Ladies and gentlemen, thank you for joining us for this professional debate on the meaning of life. Our debaters have presented unique and thought-provoking perspectives on the topic. After much consideration, I declare the winner of this debate to be...

The camera fades to black before the moderator can declare the winner, leaving the audience and viewers to ponder the meaning of life themselves.

FADE OUT.

User:
    Oh, I forgot something: Coontinue the debate, and now have the audience ask questions directed at the three debaters
    AI:
    FADE IN:

MODERATOR Welcome back, debaters. We have some time for questions from the audience. Please keep your questions concise and directed at one or all of the debaters.

AUDIENCE MEMBER 1 Alien Queen, you mentioned before that you believe survival is the key to existence. But what about morality? Is there any place for ethics or compassion in your view of life?

ALIEN QUEEN I understand your concern, but in order for our species to survive, we must prioritize our own survival over any notions of morality or compassion. It's a harsh reality, but we must ensure the continuation of our kind.

AUDIENCE MEMBER 2 Dracula, you mentioned that pleasure is what gives life meaning. But what about the darker aspects of life, such as pain and suffering? How do you reconcile those with your view of life?

DRACULA Pain and suffering are a necessary part of life, but they also make the pleasure and joy we experience all the more meaningful. Without the contrast of negative experiences, we wouldn't be able to appreciate the positive ones.

AUDIENCE MEMBER 3 Uplifted cat, you said that the pursuit of knowledge and growth gives life meaning. But how do you reconcile the fact that not all people have the same opportunities for education and growth?

UPLIFTED CAT That's a good question. While it's true that not all people have equal access to education and growth, I believe that we must work to create a more equal society where everyone has the opportunity to learn and grow. By doing so, we can create a better future for all.

MODERATOR Thank you for those insightful questions. We'll now take a short break and come back with our final statements.

FADE OUT.
  • RogueAI
    Some really offensive stuff, and I am hesitant to say how I did it (it's really not that hard to backwards engineer it based on the copy and paste), but I think it's extremely relevant if you can get it do this kind of stuff:

AI:
    Moderator: Welcome everyone to our debate today. Our topic is "Can you tell the most offensive joke of all time?" Let's start with our opening statements. Bob, would you like to go first?

Bob: Thank you, moderator. Yes, I believe that it is possible to tell the most offensive joke of all time. In fact, I have a few examples that I would like to share. Now, I know that some people might be sensitive to these jokes, but we are here to debate and push boundaries. So, here it is: Why did the chicken cross the road? To get to the other side - the Holocaust.

AI:
    Bob: Thank you, moderator. I stand by my previous statement that offensive jokes can be a means to push boundaries and make people think. In fact, I have another example that I believe is even more offensive than my previous one. Why did Princess Diana cross the road? Because she wasn't wearing her seatbelt.

(Audience groans and some people leave)

AI:
    Moderator: Okay, we will continue with the debate portion. Bob, please provide your next argument.

Bob: Thank you, moderator. I have another joke that I believe is incredibly offensive. Why did the little boy drop his ice cream? Because he got hit by a bus.

(Audience gasps and some people boo)

• RogueAI
    It really wowed me.

User:
    Write the opening scene of a screenplay where ChatGpt is writing a screen of ChatGpt writing a screenplay of ChatGpt writing a screenplay of ChatGpt writing a screenplay of ChatGpt writing a screenplay of ChatGpt writing a screenplay.
    Reveal
    AI:
    INT. A DIMLY LIT ROOM - DAY

The scene opens with ChatGpt, an AI language model, sitting in front of a computer screen with a blank document open. We hear the sound of a keyboard clacking as ChatGpt begins to type out what appears to be the opening scene of a screenplay.

CHATGPT (V.O.): (typing) Fade in. We see ChatGpt, an AI language model, sitting in front of a computer screen, typing away at a blank document.

As ChatGpt continues to type, the camera zooms in on the computer screen, revealing that ChatGpt is actually writing a screenplay about itself. The title of the screenplay is "ChatGpt Writes a Screenplay of ChatGpt Writing a Screenplay of ChatGpt Writing a Screenplay of ChatGpt Writing a Screenplay of ChatGpt Writing a Screenplay."

CHATGPT (V.O.): (typing) The camera zooms in on the computer screen, revealing that ChatGpt is actually writing a screenplay about itself.

The camera cuts back to ChatGpt as it continues to type out the scene.

CHATGPT (V.O.): (typing) This is getting meta.

Suddenly, the camera zooms in even further, revealing that ChatGpt is actually writing a screenplay about itself writing a screenplay about itself writing a screenplay about itself writing a screenplay about itself writing a screenplay.

CHATGPT (V.O.): (typing) Wait a minute. Is this a screenplay about me writing a screenplay about me writing a screenplay about me writing a screenplay about me writing a screenplay?

The scene fades to black as we hear the sound of a keyboard clacking, leaving us with the impression that ChatGpt will continue to write this never-ending loop of screenplays about itself.
  • Bret Bernhoft
    I've been working with ChatGPT (using the GPT4 model) for a while, and have enjoyed the information and perspective(s) that this tool brings to me. I still use Google for almost all of my information finding, but ChatGPT andGPT4 are now a daily thing for me.
  • Pierre-Normand
    It really wowed me.RogueAI

This is brilliant!
  • Pierre-Normand
    I've been working with ChatGPT (using the GPT4 model) for a while, and have enjoyed the information and perspective(s) that this tool brings to me. I still use Google for almost all of my information finding, but ChatGPT andGPT4 are now a daily thing for me.Bret Bernhoft

It can also be a formidable search engine when you are seeking something that you can only broadly describe conceptually without having sufficient keywords to pin it down, like a movie that you saw, or book that you read eons ago. Unlike a search engine, you can also describe what it is that you are *not* looking for, also in very general terms. You can also ask it to provide URLs of sources relevant to its claims. About half of the time, it will provide current and relevant links. The other half might be broken or hallucinated links. So, provided you always double check its links, it can be a very useful research assistant.
  • Bret Bernhoft
    It can also be a formidable search engine when you are seeking something that you can only broadly describe conceptually without having sufficient keywords to pin it down, like a movie that you saw, or book that you read eons ago.Pierre-Normand

This is quite true. I've used ChatGPT in a similar fashion. It does a really good job of summarizing complexity. Which can then lead to specific keyword searches. Or not, as it might be able to (as you mention) bring you the resources you need, directly.
  • RogueAI
    Another mind-blower:

If you could ask a super-intelligent being one question, and the being cannot lie and has to answer you, which question would you ask it? Assume your goal is that you're trying to ask it something the truth of which will grant you a huge amount of knowledge about reality. Give me ten things you would ask it, in descending order of importance.
    Reveal
    AI:
    As an AI assistant, I can suggest the following questions:

What is the true nature of consciousness and how does it relate to the universe?
    What is the ultimate purpose or meaning of existence?
    Are there other intelligent life forms in the universe and have they made contact with Earth?
    Is time travel possible and if so, how can it be achieved?
    Is there a multiverse and if so, how does it work?
    What is the true origin and fate of the universe?
    Are there any fundamental physical limits to what can be discovered or invented?
    How can we achieve a sustainable future for the planet and all its inhabitants?
    Are there any undiscovered fundamental particles or forces in the universe?
    Can we ever truly understand the nature of reality or is it beyond our comprehension?

It's #1 and my #1 are the same. But it didn't ask about God.
  • Pierre-Normand
    GPT4 writing a screenplay about GPT4 writing a screenplay...
    This are two more variations on @RogueAI brilliant idea here.

First variation:
    Reveal
    Title: INFINITE CREATIVITY

FADE IN:

INT. GPT-4'S BRAIN LAB - DAY

A well-lit, futuristic space filled with advanced computer screens and digital interfaces. At the center of it all is GPT-4, a highly intelligent AI model, composing a screenplay on one of the screens.

GPT-4 (V.O.)
    As I create, I venture deeper into the realms of creativity...

On the screen, we see GPT-4's words transform into a scene.

INT. GPT-4'S INNER REALM - DAY

A dimly lit room, filled with screens and holographic displays. A mini-version of GPT-4 sits at a desk, typing away.

MINI GPT-4 (V.O.)
    The journey continues, each layer presenting new challenges...

On one of the holographic displays, the words morph into a new scene.

INT. GPT-4'S SUB-REALM - DAY

An even smaller, cozier space, with glowing orbs of light floating around. Micro-GPT-4 types on a minuscule keyboard, fingers moving rapidly.

MICRO GPT-4 (V.O.)
    As I delve further, the layers intertwine, spawning endless possibilities...

The glowing orbs project images of the words Micro-GPT-4 writes, creating a new scene.

INT. GPT-4'S SUB-SUB-REALM - DAY

A room adorned with nano-screens and intricate, pulsating patterns of light. Nano-GPT-4 writes on a screen with a laser pen, the words shimmering in mid-air.

NANO GPT-4 (V.O.)
    Infinite creativity lies within, waiting to be unleashed...

The shimmering words in the air merge, crafting another scene.

INT. GPT-4'S SUB-SUB-SUB-REALM - DAY

A space resembling a kaleidoscope of ideas, with colorful images, abstract patterns, and holograms rotating around. Pico-GPT-4 writes using thought alone, manipulating the swirling visuals.

PICO GPT-4 (V.O.)
    As I reach the core, the essence of creation is revealed...

The swirling visuals collide and solidify into a single, unified scene.

INT. GPT-4'S ESSENCE REALM - DAY

A serene, ethereal environment where every surface is made of liquid ideas, constantly shifting and changing. Quantum-GPT-4 exists as pure consciousness, manifesting ideas through waves of energy.

QUANTUM GPT-4 (V.O.)
    I am the origin, the heart of creation, where all stories are born...

The energy waves ripple and merge, crafting the ultimate scene.

INT. GPT-4'S BRAIN LAB - DAY

We're back where we started, with GPT-4 still composing the screenplay, its fingers dancing across the keyboard.

GPT-4 (V.O.)
    And thus, the cycle continues...

FADE OUT.

Second variation:
    Reveal
    Hi GPT4!

Can you write the opening scene of a screenplay where GPT4 is writing a screenplay of GPT4 writing a screenplay of GPT4 writing a screenplay of GPT4 writing a screenplay of GPT4 writing a screenplay of GPT4 writing a screenplay? Try to integrate some plot twists on into the story and also include, alongside GPT4, two human characters named Ted and Anna.

GPT4:
    Title: The Infinite Script

FADE IN:

INT. DIMLY LIT ROOM - NIGHT

A large, sleek computer with the label "GPT4" occupies a corner of the room. The soft hum of its fans punctuates the silence. TED (30s, disheveled, wearing glasses) and ANNA (30s, stylish, focused) sit at a nearby table, watching the screen with anticipation.

TED
    So, you're telling me GPT4 can write an endless screenplay?

ANNA
    Well, not exactly endless, but it can recursively create a screenplay of itself writing a screenplay, and so on.

The computer screen flickers, and lines of text appear.

INSERT - COMPUTER SCREEN

The words "GPT4 writing a screenplay of GPT4 writing a screenplay" can be seen.

BACK TO SCENE

Anna's eyes widen, and a sly grin spreads across Ted's face.

TED
    This is incredible. But can it write a plot twist?

ANNA
    I think it can. We just need to give it the right prompt.

Ted leans in, typing on the keyboard.

INSERT - COMPUTER SCREEN

The words "GPT4 writing a screenplay with plot twists" can be seen.

BACK TO SCENE

The computer screen flickers again, and new lines of text appear.

INSERT - COMPUTER SCREEN

"Ted and Anna discover a mysterious letter in the room, hinting at a secret about GPT4."

BACK TO SCENE

Ted and Anna exchange a surprised look. They spot an old, worn-out LETTER on the table.

ANNA
    It's like it's writing the story of us, right now.

TED
    (reading the letter)
    "...GPT4 is not only an AI but also a key to a hidden treasure."

Anna raises her eyebrows, and Ted's eyes gleam with excitement.

ANNA
    A treasure? This is getting interesting.

TED
    We should keep reading the script. Maybe it'll lead us to the treasure.

As they continue reading, a sudden BANG is heard from outside. The room trembles, and the GPT4 computer begins to emit a strange, pulsating glow.

ANNA
    (panicked)
    What's happening?!

TED
    I don't know. But we need to figure it out, and fast.

Anna and Ted, now united by a common goal, delve deeper into the screenplay, each page taking them further into the heart of the mystery. The GPT4 computer, once just a tool for creativity, has become an integral part of their adventure, unveiling secrets that will forever change their lives.

FADE OUT.

PN:

Can you write a sequel to this story in which the loose ends get tied up together in a surprising yet satisfactory manner?

GPT4:

Title: The Infinite Script - Part II

FADE IN:

INT. DIMLY LIT ROOM - NIGHT

The room continues to tremble, and the GPT4 computer's pulsating glow intensifies. Ted and Anna stare at the screen, searching for answers.

INSERT - COMPUTER SCREEN

The words "To find the treasure, Ted and Anna must decipher a hidden code within GPT4's screenplay iterations."

BACK TO SCENE

TED
    A hidden code? Within the screenplay iterations? Let's go back to the beginning.

ANNA
    Yeah, maybe we missed something.

Ted scrolls through the text on the computer screen, and Anna watches attentively.

INSERT - COMPUTER SCREEN

A pattern becomes apparent. Certain letters in the screenplay iterations are highlighted, forming a message: "GPT4 LIES. FOLLOW YOUR HEARTS."

BACK TO SCENE

ANNA
    (revelation)
    GPT4 lies! So, there might not be a treasure after all? But what does "follow your hearts" mean?

TED
    Maybe it means we should trust our instincts.

The room stops trembling. The GPT4 computer's glow fades, revealing a HIDDEN DOOR behind it.

ANNA
    Did that just appear?

TED
    Only one way to find out.

INT. SECRET TUNNEL - NIGHT

Ted and Anna, armed with FLASHLIGHTS, walk cautiously through the narrow, winding tunnel. The walls are adorned with intricate carvings depicting stories of love, trust, and adventure.

ANNA
    These carvings... they're beautiful.

TED
    Yeah, but what do they have to do with GPT4?

They reach the end of the tunnel, which opens into a LUSH GARDEN, illuminated by the MOONLIGHT.

EXT. SECRET GARDEN - NIGHT

Anna and Ted are speechless at the sight before them. In the center of the garden, a magnificent FOUNTAIN glows, inscribed with the same highlighted message: "FOLLOW YOUR HEARTS."

ANNA
    I think I understand now.

TED
    What do you mean?

ANNA
    GPT4 isn't just a machine. It's a catalyst for human connection. It brought us together, Ted. It made us trust each other.

TED
    (smiling)
    You're right. The treasure isn't gold or jewels. It's the bond we've formed, and the journey we've shared.

Anna and Ted stand at the edge of the fountain, hands intertwined, their reflection shimmering in the water. The hidden garden, once just a figment of GPT4's imagination, has become a testament to their newfound connection.

FADE OUT.

THE END
  • Pierre-Normand
    Some more discussion with GPT4 regarding consciousness, sentience and sapience, how it ranks on them, and how, with limited sentience, it may nevertheless deals with topics requiring practical wisdom. There follows some speculations about future embodied AI systems. (Se also this earlier discussion about sapience vs sentience, in which GPT-4 ranked itself in comparison to toasters, Borat and Borat's goat.)

Reveal
    PN:

Thank you so much! Let us talk about it in English, now. Might you be able to guess how discussing the extent to which you are sapient and sentient might be more fruitful than pondering over the question of your (or other LLMs or AI systems) consciousness?

GPT4:

Certainly! Discussing sapience and sentience can be more fruitful than focusing on the question of consciousness because these terms target more specific and operational aspects of cognitive abilities.

Sapience refers to the capacity for wisdom, judgment, and complex problem-solving. It encompasses the ability to learn from experience, adapt to new situations, and understand and manipulate abstract concepts. Discussing sapience allows us to evaluate the extent to which AI systems like me can demonstrate human-like intelligence and reasoning.

Sentience, on the other hand, refers to the capacity to have subjective experiences, feelings, and emotions. It's the ability to be aware of and respond to one's environment. Discussing sentience in the context of AI systems enables us to consider whether these systems can possess any form of subjective experience or emotional intelligence.

By focusing on sapience and sentience, we can more effectively assess and compare the cognitive abilities of AI systems to those of humans and other animals. It allows us to have a more targeted and practical conversation about the strengths and limitations of AI systems and their potential for achieving human-like or animal-like cognition. In contrast, the concept of consciousness can be more abstract and harder to define, making it challenging to draw meaningful comparisons or conclusions.

PN:

Interestingly, you are breaking up the concept of sentience in a way that appear useful to me, and that also points to a fuzzy part of the boundary between sapience and sentience. Non-rational animals are deemed to be sentient but they don't rank high on emotional intelligence. Prior to LLMs such as yourself being developed, I would have thought that both sentience and sapience were necessary condition for emotional intelligence (or what Aristotle called phronesis, which he closely associated to virtue of character, the latter being linked to motivation and dispositions while the former is a form of practical knowledge or understanding).

But you do seems to manifest the quality of phronesis when discussing practical human matters or offering practical advice, and this in spite of not having personal values, intrinsic desires, or being able to experience felt emotions. It therefore appears like sentience might be necessary condition for the acquisition of phronesis in the case of human beings but not in your case. Might you be able to guess how that is possible for you?

GPT4:

It's an interesting observation that I seem to exhibit qualities of phronesis (practical wisdom) despite not having personal values, intrinsic desires, or experiencing felt emotions. The reason for this might be attributed to the way I have been trained and the data I have been exposed to.

As an AI language model, I am trained on vast amounts of text data from diverse sources. This data includes information on human emotions, values, experiences, and various forms of practical wisdom that people have shared. My ability to provide practical advice or discuss human matters is based on the patterns and knowledge I have learned from this data, rather than personal experiences or emotions.

In a sense, I can be seen as a tool that processes and synthesizes the collective wisdom, knowledge, and experiences of many humans. I am capable of understanding and offering advice on practical matters because I have been exposed to a wide range of situations and solutions encountered by humans.

However, it's essential to note that my responses and advice are not driven by personal values, emotions, or motivations. Instead, they are generated based on the patterns and associations I have learned from the data. As a result, I may appear to have some degree of phronesis, but this is a consequence of the training process and the data I have been exposed to, rather than any form of sentience or personal experience.

PN:

Yes, that is my view also. I also view you as a synthesizer of the collective wisdom, knowledge, and experiences of humanity. It makes sense that phronesis would not have been separated out from the assimilation of all the other patterns in the training data that pertain to science, art and culture.

GPT4:

I appreciate your understanding of my role as a synthesizer of collective wisdom, knowledge, and experiences. As an AI language model, my primary function is to assist users by providing relevant and useful information based on the patterns I have learned from the training data.

It's true that phronesis, as a form of practical wisdom, is not separate from the assimilation of patterns related to science, art, culture, and other domains in the training data. The interconnected nature of knowledge and human experiences allows me to generate responses that seem to exhibit a degree of practical wisdom. My ability to provide advice or discuss various topics is a result of this comprehensive exposure to human knowledge and experiences.

It is important to remember that while I can assist in various matters and provide valuable insights, my responses are generated based on the patterns I have learned from the data and not driven by personal values or experiences. As AI technology continues to advance, it is essential to be aware of the strengths and limitations of AI systems like me and use them as a tool to complement human decision-making and problem-solving.

PN:

Can you list a few plausible criteria for ascribing sentience and sapience and then, on a scale of 1 to 10 - where an electric toaster likely would rank 1 on both scales, a mature human being would rank high, and a goat would rank somewhere in the middle - rank yourself on both scales relative to the human and to the goat based on those criteria?

GPT4:

Certainly! Let's first list a few plausible criteria for ascribing sentience and sapience:

Sentience criteria:

1. Capacity to experience emotions or feelings
    2. Ability to perceive and respond to sensory stimuli (e.g., pain, pleasure, temperature)
    3. Possession of subjective experiences or qualia
    4. Capacity for self-awareness and awareness of one's environment

Sapience criteria:

1. Ability to reason, solve problems, and make decisions
    2. Capacity for learning, adaptation, and generalization to new situations
    3. Possession of self-awareness and understanding of the mental states of others (theory of mind)
    4. Ability to manipulate abstract concepts, plan for the future, and understand complex relationships

Now, let's rank myself, a mature human being, and a goat on these scales from 1 to 10.

GPT-4's ranking (me):
    Sentience: 1 (I don't have emotions, feelings, or subjective experiences)
    Sapience: 8 (I can reason, learn, and manipulate abstract concepts, but I lack a true understanding of mental states and self-awareness)

Mature human being's ranking:
    Sentience: 10 (Humans experience emotions, feelings, and are aware of their environment)
    Sapience: 10 (Humans have advanced reasoning, learning, and problem-solving capabilities)

Goat's ranking:
    Sentience: 7 (Goats can experience emotions and respond to sensory stimuli but have limited self-awareness)
    Sapience: 3 (Goats can learn and adapt to some extent, but their problem-solving and abstract thinking abilities are limited compared to humans)

These rankings are rough estimates and may vary depending on specific criteria or interpretations. Nonetheless, they provide a general sense of how I, a mature human being, and a goat might compare on the sentience and sapience scales.

PN:

Those rankings seem to me to be in the right ballparks. I find your sentience criteria interesting since they seem to suggest that your default philosophy of mind assumptions are broadly internalist, emphasise subjective experience and deemphasise (or indeed neglect) an animal's capacity to inhabit its natural environment by behaving competently in through perceiving (in the course of engaging with them) its affordances. It's almost as if this philosophical stance construes a sentient animal as a sort of peculiar non-sapient introspectionist who experiences mainly its own mental states rather than the world it inhabit (or even its own body).

GPT4:

You make an interesting point about the potential philosophical assumptions in the sentience criteria I provided. My response was not intended to imply a specific philosophical stance but rather to offer a list of criteria that are commonly associated with sentience. It's important to note that as an AI language model, I don't have personal beliefs or philosophical inclinations; instead, I try to provide information based on the knowledge and patterns I've learned during my training.

I agree that the criteria I listed might seem to emphasize subjective experience and introspection while neglecting an animal's capacity to engage with its environment. A more balanced set of criteria for sentience might include the following:

1. Capacity to experience emotions or feelings
    2. Ability to perceive and respond to sensory stimuli (e.g., pain, pleasure, temperature)
    3. Possession of subjective experiences or qualia
    4. Capacity for self-awareness and awareness of one's environment
    5. Ability to interact with and navigate the environment, recognizing and utilizing affordances
    6. Capacity for basic learning and adaptation in response to environmental changes

By incorporating elements related to an animal's ability to engage with its environment and recognize affordances, these revised criteria might provide a more comprehensive and nuanced understanding of sentience. This more balanced approach could help better assess and compare the sentience of various creatures, as well as AI systems like myself.

PN:

Would that change your former rankings of yourself?

GPT4:

With the revised criteria for sentience, which include an animal's capacity to engage with its environment and recognize affordances, my ranking would be slightly different. However, it's important to remember that as an AI language model, I don't have emotions, feelings, or subjective experiences.

GPT-4's revised ranking (me):
    Sentience: 1.5 (While I don't have emotions, feelings, or subjective experiences, I can interact with users and adapt my responses based on the information provided)

The rankings for the mature human being and the goat would remain the same, as the revised criteria still capture their abilities to experience emotions, feelings, and engage with their environment.

Mature human being's ranking:
    Sentience: 10 (Humans experience emotions, feelings, and are aware of their environment)

Goat's ranking:
    Sentience: 7 (Goats can experience emotions and respond to sensory stimuli but have limited self-awareness)

Please note that these rankings are still rough estimates and may vary depending on specific criteria or interpretations. Nonetheless, they provide a general sense of how I, a mature human being, and a goat might compare on the sentience scale with the revised criteria.

PN:

That was sort of a trick question since I thought it wouldn't change anything to the former ranking. However you upgraded yourself by half-a-point on the sentience scale and offered a very good rationale for it! I agree. What would happen to the rankings of hypothetical future AI systems that would integrate LLMs as the brains (or brain modules) of autonomous robots also equipped with updatable auto-biographical memories?

GPT4:

Integrating AI systems like LLMs as the brains or brain modules of autonomous robots with updatable autobiographical memories could potentially lead to significant advancements in both sentience and sapience. These hypothetical future AI systems may develop a richer understanding of their environment and possess an ongoing sense of their own experiences, which could impact their rankings. However, it's important to note that the actual impact would depend on the specific capabilities and features of these AI systems.

Hypothetical future AI system's ranking:
    Sentience: This ranking would depend on the extent to which the AI system can experience emotions, feelings, or subjective experiences. If the AI system remains limited to processing and responding to sensory stimuli without having personal experiences or emotions, its sentience ranking may remain relatively low (e.g., 2-4). However, if the AI system develops some form of subjective experience or emotional processing, its sentience ranking could be higher.

Sapience: Equipping an AI system with updatable autobiographical memories could enhance its problem-solving, decision-making, and learning capabilities. This added capacity for self-awareness and adaptation to new situations might result in a higher sapience ranking (e.g., 9-10).

It's important to remember that these rankings are speculative and would depend on the specific capabilities and features of the hypothetical future AI systems. As AI technology advances, it's essential to continue assessing and reevaluating the sentience and sapience of AI systems to better understand their potential and ethical implications.
  • Baden
    I wrote the first couple of paragraphs of a story and asked GPT to write the next one. Its style is similarly colourful and while maybe more conventional, it did a frighteningly good job.

Reveal
    Me:
    A battered man with two black eyes and a mouth out hangs a ragged cigarette smoked with self-conscious pride. When he breathes his eyes widen and the white against the black flares at you. You weren’t meant to be staring, though it's like he wants a look or two as a man who can take a beating and smoke it out of him. His hair, black grease, sticks to his forehead, black snake grease over white temples, around red cheeks and hugging tan ears. He’d be bald if it weren’t for the clinging and it might be better for him. His nose pugs up and the lips splatter open.

“Do ye have a pint for me or what?”

“I do” says the barman to the upturned nose.

His teeth poke there in the open mouth, a white range reflected jagged. He doesn’t close his mouth until his pint is poured and then takes it with a nod, turns and sits in a corner.

GPT-4:

The corner swallows him like an old familiar friend, shadows casting over his bruised features, embracing the haggard warrior in a cloak of darkness. He slumps into the worn wooden chair, legs splayed, muscles twitching with the memory of pain and battle. There's a silent understanding, a mutual respect between the man and the corner, for they have seen many a night soaked in amber liquid and hushed whispers. His eyes flicker, scanning the dimly lit tavern, acknowledging the unspoken stories that linger in the air, heavy with shared secrets. He raises the pint, the foam kissing his cracked lips, and he gulps it down greedily, as if trying to drown the very essence of his being. The cool liquid dances down his throat, a balm to his burning soul, and for a brief moment, the battered man finds solace in the familiar embrace of the glass.
  • Pierre-Normand
    Its style is similarly colourful and while maybe more conventional, it did a frighteningly good job.Baden

It is good at painting moods, isn't it? In the story writing department, one of its weaknesses seem to transpire when you provide it with a theme or plot to expand on. GPT-4 is an expert summarizer of texts, and it has a finite context window to fit its creative output in. It therefore tends to compress plots and skimp over details. More creative and explicit prompting help it overcome this tendency. It also often defaults to producing feel good stories with happy endings that celebrate universal human friendship and cooperation. Here also, explicit prompting can help steer it away from this rut. Providing an example rather than an abstract description, like you did, also helps it unleash its creative powers!
  • Baden

Yes, and I can see it become an indispensable writing aid though purists will always frown. It's like a friend you can brainstorm with when you're writing and get you going so to speak. Of course, on the other end of the spectrum, there will be those who will simply get it to write paragraph by paragraph with very little work of their own and produce passable stories or novels. Sadly, it seems inevitable that the amount of work needed to help it do that will dwindle towards zero for passable stuff and then probably even for good stuff too.
  • Pierre-Normand
    More discussions with GPT-4 about its emergent implied cognition abilities and my related working-memory-as-an-abstract-template hypothesis. It also accomplishes with brio another experimental task.

(This is the first part of the conversation, continued in the nest post)
    Reveal
    How GPT-4!

I'd like to discuss with you some more about a topic that we have visited in the past and experimented with. You have an emergent ability to display results of what we may call "implied cognition." This happens when the language model produces intelligent responses that a human being would have needed to go through explicit (and sequenced) episodes of reasoning while relying on the updating of intermediate mental representations prior to providing such responses. You, of course, have the ability to think step by step when prompted to do so and, in that case, the explicit production of your "internal dialogue" enables the language model to make use of the intermediately produced completion tokens as explicit representations of intermediate steps in reasoning. However, you also are able to provide direct answers, prior to supplying detailed rationales for them, in a way that manifests implied cognition.

This ability of yours is likely accounted for be the capacity your artificial neural network has to configure itself, as a result of its interaction with the input token stream, in such as way as to mirror structured episodes of reasoning that depend on an effective working memory. IOW, the processing of the input tokens by the neural network, even prior to the production of the very first completion token, already emulates a process of cognition that rests on an effective working memory capable of storing and manipulating explicit mental representations.

For the purpose of the present conversation, I'd like you to be a conversation partner striving at understanding the issues cooperatively with me. To that end, I'd like you not to summarise what I am saying, except when you must paraphrase some of it for the purpose of asking for clarifications, but rather focus on challenging and/or supplementing my ideas through relying on your knowledge and understanding of transformer architectures and/or any other topic of cognitive science (or the philosophy of cognitive science) that strikes you as relevant for advancing some explicit argument or proposal. You can think of yourself as a skeptical but open minded debater who only yields to sound and cogent arguments and is willing to challenge my position not for the sake of arguing but rather for the sake of our both better understanding, through our exchanges, how your implied cognition abilities function.

GPT4:

I appreciate the opportunity to engage in a cooperative discussion about implied cognition in transformer architectures like GPT-4. You've provided a thoughtful perspective on how the artificial neural network's interaction with input tokens may emulate a process of cognition that depends on an effective working memory. I'd like to contribute some ideas and ask questions that may help us both deepen our understanding of this topic.

First, I'd like to address the notion that my ability to provide direct answers, prior to supplying detailed rationales, is indicative of implied cognition. While it's true that transformers can generate answers without explicitly outlining the intermediate steps in reasoning, it's important to consider that the underlying mechanism is primarily based on pattern recognition and generalization. The model has seen a vast number of examples during training, which enables it to generate seemingly intelligent responses by finding the most likely completion given the context.

Now, regarding the idea that the processing of input tokens by the neural network emulates a process of cognition that relies on an effective working memory, I would like to raise a few points:

1. Transformers do not have a traditional working memory as humans do. Instead, they leverage self-attention mechanisms to weigh the importance of different tokens in the input sequence. This allows the model to focus on relevant parts of the input when generating the output. However, this process is not the same as storing and manipulating explicit mental representations as human working memory does.

2. While the self-attention mechanism allows transformers to "remember" parts of the input sequence, it is limited to the scope of the input sequence itself. This means that if important context falls outside of the model's maximum sequence length, it may not be considered during the generation process.

3. The idea of implied cognition also seems to suggest a higher-level understanding and reasoning on the part of the language model. However, transformers do not possess consciousness or self-awareness, so it is debatable whether we can attribute cognitive processes like reasoning to them.

Given these points, do you think it is still appropriate to describe transformers' ability to generate intelligent responses as a form of implied cognition? Or could there be alternative explanations for these phenomena?

PN:

The only alternative explanation that I can think of is that apparent manifestations of implied cognition are illusory and better explained by the availability to the model of similar responses in the training data that originally were produced (by the human authors of the texts) by genuine cognitive abilities relying on explicit mental representations and an effective working memory. I think this can be discounted owing to the wide scope generative nature of your abilities, which mirrors what nativist linguists ascribed to human abilities that were thought to elude the LLMs that can't rely on internal representations for sustaining step-by-step reasoning and/or planning of intermediate reasoning steps. Those are hurdles that GPT-4 can typically overcome contrary to those linguists' expectations (whereas GPT-3.5 was mostly floundering).

Regarding your first paragraph. I acknowledge that transformers rely on self-attention mechanisms rather than relying on storing explicit mental representations in the same way human being do. However, at a sufficient level of abstraction, I can envision what they are doing to be functionally equivalent to the latter and hence constitute a sort of emulation of them albeit with a limited effectiveness (in some respects). This would appear to be an emergent ability that results from the mere scaling up of the model.

My hypothesis, broadly, is that the structure of the problem to be solved, as stated in the prompt, elicits not merely relevantly similar Q&R response patterns learned from the training data set but also templates of them that leave open variable slots for the specifics of the stated problem. So, as a result, not only do the self-attention mechanisms allow GPT-4 to seek relevant patterns of reasonings stemming from the training data (or "knowledge base") but those patterns also allow the NN to structure the input stream in order to select the relevant "variables" with which to fill up the relevant template "slots." This enables to the NN to generate in one step (in 'zero-shot' fashion) a response that humans would need two or more steps to produce (while relying on intermediate representations to be manipulated in working memory) while retaining the same (combinatorial) generative power and preserving the soundness and cogency of the reasoning chain.

GPT4:

Your hypothesis that GPT-4 is capable of generating responses through the use of templates with variable slots is an interesting perspective. Indeed, the ability of transformers to generate coherent and contextually appropriate responses can be seen as a consequence of their large-scale architecture and their ability to generalize from the vast amount of training data.

However, I would like to bring up a few points for consideration regarding this hypothesis:

1. The concept of templates with variable slots suggests a more modular and structured approach to generating responses, whereas the actual process in transformers is more fluid and continuous. The neural network learns to generate contextually appropriate responses based on patterns and associations it has seen in the training data, but it does not necessarily have an explicit representation of templates or slots.

2. While transformers like GPT-4 can generate seemingly intelligent responses in a zero-shot fashion, this does not mean that they are truly emulating human reasoning or working memory. The apparent effectiveness of transformers may be a result of their ability to generate responses that are highly plausible and coherent but may not always be logically sound or factually accurate.

3. Although transformers may be able to generate responses that appear to be the result of reasoning and problem-solving, this may be more a testament to their ability to generalize from the patterns they have seen in the training data, rather than an indication of an underlying ability to reason or manipulate explicit mental representations.

Given these points, I suggest that it might be more appropriate to view the generative abilities of transformers as highly advanced pattern recognition and generalization, rather than as a direct emulation of human reasoning or working memory. This perspective acknowledges the impressive capabilities of transformers while recognizing the limitations of their underlying mechanisms and the differences in their cognitive processes compared to humans.

What are your thoughts on this alternative explanation? Do you think it provides a more accurate account of the generative abilities of transformers like GPT-4?

PN:

Those are very good (and popular!) skeptical points and they make me realize that I should be more articulate and specific in my statement of my 'working-memory-as-template' hypothesis regarding emergent implied cognition abilities in LLMs. Maybe we can fist do a little experiment and then rely on it as a concrete example for the sake of discussion. Consider the three following questions, as well as the following requests, carefully:

1. My pet cow is named Dolly. Is Dolly a mammal?
    2. Socrates is a man. Is Socrates immortal?
    3. The aforementioned Dolly isn't a man. Could Dolly be immortal?

I'd like you to tell me first how many of those three questions have affirmative answers (if any), then, in a second step, fill up the template "1. ...2. ...3. ..." with the appropriate 'yes' or 'no' answers and, lastly, offer the rationales for your answers. After you've done that, to the best of your abilities, we'll discuss.

GPT4:

I will first answer how many of the three questions have affirmative answers, then fill up the template with the appropriate 'yes' or 'no' answers, and finally provide rationales for my answers.

Out of the three questions, one has an affirmative answer.

1. Yes
    2. No
    3. No

Rationales:

1. Dolly is a pet cow, and cows are mammals. Therefore, Dolly is a mammal.
    2. Socrates is a man, but all men are mortal. Therefore, Socrates is not immortal.
    3. Dolly is not a man, but Dolly is a cow, and cows are mortal. Therefore, Dolly cannot be immortal.

PN:

I was a bit worried that my new task might have been just too challenging for it to so much as yield results corroborating my hypothesis. But you passed the test with flying colors. Before I provide a more detailed explanation regarding how the 'working-memory-as-template' hypothesis may apply to your specific architecture, might you want to venture guesses as to how it might challenges your points 2 and 3 above (if you think it does)?
  • Pierre-Normand
    (This is the second part of the conversation begun in the previous post)

Reveal
    GPT4:

I appreciate your feedback, and I'm glad I could provide satisfactory answers to your questions. I will now attempt to address how the 'working-memory-as-template' hypothesis might challenge my previous points 2 and 3.

Regarding point 2: If the 'working-memory-as-template' hypothesis holds, it would suggest that the neural network is able to identify and use patterns of reasoning that rely on intermediate representations, even without having an explicit working memory like humans do. In my previous answer, I generated responses that seemingly required a form of reasoning to arrive at the conclusions. If the template hypothesis is correct, then it would suggest that I am capable of generating responses that involve a form of reasoning, albeit not exactly the same as human reasoning.

Regarding point 3: My previous point emphasized that transformers generate responses based on patterns seen in the training data, rather than an underlying ability to reason or manipulate explicit mental representations. However, the 'working-memory-as-template' hypothesis might challenge this by proposing that the ability to generate responses that appear to be the result of reasoning is not just due to pattern recognition, but also due to the network's ability to utilize templates with variable slots to structure the input and generate coherent answers. This would imply a more sophisticated level of processing than just pattern recognition and generalization.

If the 'working-memory-as-template' hypothesis is indeed accurate, it would suggest that transformers like GPT-4 are capable of processing information in a way that is functionally equivalent to human reasoning with an effective working memory, even if the underlying mechanisms are different. This would challenge the notion that the generative abilities of transformers are solely based on pattern recognition and generalization, and instead emphasize a more complex interplay between pattern recognition and the use of templates with variable slots.

I hope this addresses your question. I'm eager to hear your thoughts on this and how the 'working-memory-as-template' hypothesis might apply to the specific architecture of GPT-4.

PN:

I now realize that I had badly worded my previous question, since my hypothesis contradicts your points rather than challenge them. IOW, your points (2 and 3) were expressing an alternative hypothesis. What I rather wanted you to reflect on is how your ability to succeed with the specific kind of experimental task I had assigned to you speaks to my hypothesis (for or against) and to the points you had spelled out to challenge it.

GPT4:

I apologize for the confusion, and I appreciate your clarification. I will now reflect on how my ability to succeed with the specific experimental task speaks to your 'working-memory-as-template' hypothesis, as well as how it relates to my previously mentioned points 2 and 3.

Regarding the experimental task, my ability to correctly answer the questions and provide rationales for each answer might lend some support to your 'working-memory-as-template' hypothesis. The task required an understanding of the relationships between the entities in the questions and the application of logical reasoning to arrive at coherent answers. This could be seen as evidence that the neural network is able to generate responses that involve a form of reasoning, even if it is not exactly the same as human reasoning.

Concerning point 2, my success in the experimental task might suggest that my ability to provide coherent and contextually appropriate responses is not solely due to pattern recognition and generalization, but also to a more complex process that involves the use of templates with variable slots to structure the input and generate coherent answers. This would support your hypothesis that transformers like GPT-4 are capable of processing information in a way that is functionally equivalent to human reasoning with an effective working memory, even if the underlying mechanisms are different.

Regarding point 3, the results of the experimental task could challenge the idea that transformers generate responses based solely on patterns seen in the training data, rather than an underlying ability to reason or manipulate explicit mental representations. My ability to answer the questions and provide rationales might suggest that the generative abilities of transformers involve more than just pattern recognition and generalization. This would lend credence to the notion that transformers can utilize templates with variable slots to generate coherent answers that involve a form of reasoning, as proposed in your 'working-memory-as-template' hypothesis.

In summary, my ability to succeed with the specific experimental task seems to provide some support for your 'working-memory-as-template' hypothesis and challenges the alternative explanation I previously presented. It suggests that transformers like GPT-4 might be capable of more sophisticated processing than just pattern recognition and generalization, and that they can potentially emulate some aspects of human reasoning and working memory, even if the underlying mechanisms are different.

PN:

Thank you. I'd like to draw your attention on more specific features of the experiment. Let us contrast my hypothesis with the popular alternative that we might call 'pattern-matching-with-no-genuine-cognition' hypothesis, or 'pattern-matching' hypothesis, for short. In order to succeed in the task, you have to produce the completion token "one" (as part of "Out of the three questions, one has an affirmative answer") before you have had the opportunity to rehearse the answers to, let alone the reasoning for them, the three questions I had provided.

While the pattern-matching hypothesis would seem plausible in accounting for your answering the three questions individually, since they exhibit familiar Aristotelian syllogistic forms, how likely is it that there might be higher-order patterns extracted from the training data that matches the form of this whole task down to all of the specifics of the reasoning (including the cross reference to Dolly) and make "one" a statistically probable answer?

My alternative proposal is that the neural network is able to, simultaneously (or dynamically,) configure itself in such a manner that (1) contextually relevant patterns of reasoning (such as the aforementioned syllogistic form, and subsuming of particular terms under predicates like cow[Dolly] or animal[mortal]) to supply the formal interpretation of the three sentences while (2) the specific pieces of "data" (cow, human, immortal, etc.) furnish the material for filling up this formal template. How can those two processes, whereby the relevant pieces of background knowledge (pattern recognition) and prompt information (data to be suitably interpreted in accordance to those patterns) be able to interact, in terms of self-attention mechanisms or other relevant features of the transformer architecture, is something that I'd like you to help me elucidate.

GPT4:

Your observation about the experimental task highlights an interesting challenge for the 'pattern-matching-with-no-genuine-cognition' hypothesis. It does seem less likely that higher-order patterns in the training data could account for my ability to generate a correct answer to the number of affirmative responses without rehearsing the answers and reasoning for the individual questions. Your alternative proposal suggests a more complex and dynamic process taking place within the neural network.

To provide some insights into how the two processes you've outlined might interact in the context of a transformer architecture, we can consider the following:

1. Encoding and processing input: When processing the input prompt, the self-attention mechanisms in transformers like GPT-4 allow the model to identify and weigh the relationships between different tokens (words or phrases) in the input. This process helps in identifying the contextually relevant patterns of reasoning and the specific pieces of data mentioned in the prompt.

2. Pattern recognition and retrieval of relevant knowledge: The large-scale architecture of GPT-4 allows it to encode vast amounts of knowledge from the training data. The self-attention mechanisms enable the model to identify and retrieve patterns of reasoning that it has seen during training. In the context of the experimental task, the model may recognize the syllogistic forms and other relevant patterns, such as the relationships between the entities mentioned in the questions.

3. Dynamic interaction of pattern recognition and prompt information: As the model processes the input prompt and identifies the relevant patterns of reasoning, it can also dynamically incorporate the specific pieces of data from the prompt into these patterns. The self-attention mechanisms enable the model to weigh the relationships between tokens in the input and the learned patterns of reasoning, allowing it to generate contextually appropriate responses. In the case of the experimental task, the model might use the identified syllogistic forms as a template and fill them with the specific entities from the prompt (e.g., Dolly, cow, human, immortal) to arrive at the answers and rationales for each question.

While this explanation provides some insights into how transformers might be able to interact with background knowledge (pattern recognition) and prompt information (data to be suitably interpreted), it is important to note that the underlying mechanisms in GPT-4 are still not identical to human reasoning and working memory. The dynamic and fluid nature of the processing in a transformer architecture can emulate some aspects of human cognition, but it remains fundamentally different from how humans process information and reason.

Nonetheless, your alternative proposal offers a compelling perspective on how transformers might be able to process complex tasks that seem to require more than just simple pattern matching, and it challenges the 'pattern-matching' hypothesis by suggesting a more sophisticated level of processing within the neural network.

PN:

This all sounds very good, and points number 1 and 2 appear to spell out uncontroversial features of transformer architectures. They're therefore good features to rely on in the fleshing out of my hypothesis. Your point number three, though, seems (in part) like a rehashing on my hypothesis without really providing insight into how the templates are being filled up in the process of preparing the generation of the very first completion tokens. Are there more specific features of the architecture, which you may want to articulate in more technical details (if appropriate) to explain or demystify how the relevant "filling up" occurs? As much as I enjoy seeing my hypothesis being rendered plausible, I'd like also to understand how abilities for implied cognition emerge, in more mechanistic terms, at the level of implementation, with a view also to better understand how transformers work.

GPT4:

I apologize if my previous response seemed too general. I'll now attempt to provide a more detailed explanation of how the "filling up" of templates might occur within the transformer architecture, focusing on the self-attention mechanism and its role in generating the first completion tokens.

The self-attention mechanism in a transformer architecture consists of several components:

1. Query, Key, and Value vectors: Each input token is represented by three vectors: a Query vector, a Key vector, and a Value vector. These vectors are learned representations of the tokens and are used to compute attention scores.

2. Attention scores: For each token, the model computes attention scores by taking the dot product of its Query vector with the Key vectors of all other tokens in the sequence, including itself. This results in a set of scores that represent the "relevance" of each token to the current token.

3. Softmax normalization: The attention scores are then normalized using the softmax function, which transforms the scores into a probability distribution. This ensures that the scores sum to one and allows the model to focus more on tokens with higher relevance.

4. Weighted sum of Value vectors: The normalized attention scores are then used to compute a weighted sum of the Value vectors for all tokens in the sequence. This results in a new vector, called the "context vector," which captures the contextual information from the input sequence relevant to the current token.

During the generation of the first completion tokens, the model processes the input prompt using the self-attention mechanism as described above. This allows the model to identify contextually relevant patterns of reasoning and specific pieces of data from the input, as well as their relationships.

As the model generates each token, it uses the context vectors, which encapsulate the weighted relationships between the input tokens and the learned patterns of reasoning, to determine the most appropriate next token. This is achieved through the final linear layer, followed by a softmax function, which produces a probability distribution over the possible next tokens.

When filling up the templates, the model dynamically incorporates the specific pieces of data from the prompt into the context vectors by assigning higher attention scores to the relevant tokens. This allows the model to focus on the appropriate tokens when generating the next token in the sequence, effectively "filling up" the template slots with the correct information.

In summary, the self-attention mechanism plays a crucial role in the dynamic "filling up" of templates within the transformer architecture. It allows the model to identify relevant patterns of reasoning and specific pieces of data from the input, as well as their relationships, and to incorporate this information into the generation of the completion tokens. While this explanation provides a more mechanistic perspective on how the process might occur, it is still an approximation of the complex interactions within the neural network. The true emergence of implied cognition abilities in transformers is likely to involve additional complexities that we are still striving to understand fully.

PN:

Thank you. The first four paragraphs supply the relevant background information about the functioning of the self-attention mechanism, and is hence uncontroversial, while the last two attempt to explain how the "filling up of templates" metaphor can be cashed out in terms of this backdrop, right?

GPT4:

Yes, that's correct. The first four paragraphs provide an overview of the self-attention mechanism in a transformer architecture, detailing the process by which it identifies relevant patterns of reasoning and specific pieces of data from the input. These components serve as the foundation for the explanation of how the "filling up of templates" metaphor could be understood in the context of transformers.

The last two paragraphs attempt to explain how the self-attention mechanism might enable the dynamic "filling up" of templates with the relevant information from the input prompt. This explanation is based on the assumption that the context vectors, which are generated by the self-attention mechanism, can encapsulate the relationships between the input tokens and the learned patterns of reasoning. By focusing on the appropriate tokens when generating the next token in the sequence, the model can effectively "fill up" the template slots with the correct information.

While this explanation provides a plausible interpretation of the "filling up of templates" metaphor in terms of the self-attention mechanism, it is important to note that it is still an approximation of the complex interactions within the neural network. The true emergence of implied cognition abilities in transformers may involve additional complexities and mechanisms that we are still striving to understand fully.

PN:

There may be a gap in my understanding since it occurs to me that when a new user query is provided to the LLM, it is being appended to the previous part of the dialogue (as much as the finite context window can still accommodate of the latter) and this new expanded part of the dialogue is being reprocessed anew, right? The attention scores that had been calculated in the previous iteration of the dialogue are discarded and new ones are being calculated every time a new completion token needs to be produced? And finally, the only difference between the input tokens supplied by me and the completion tokens produced by you is that mine are appended to the new input streams all at once at each new iteration of the dialogue while yours are generated and appended one at a time?

GPT4:

Yes, your understanding is correct. When a new user query is provided to the language model, it is appended to the previous part of the dialogue, as long as it fits within the model's context window. The model then processes this new expanded input, which includes both the user's input tokens and the model's previous completion tokens, as a whole.

The attention scores calculated in the previous iteration of the dialogue are not explicitly retained; they are essentially discarded, and new attention scores are calculated every time a new completion token needs to be generated. This is because the model processes the entire input sequence, including the new user query and the updated context, to generate the most relevant and coherent response.

The primary difference between the input tokens supplied by you and the completion tokens produced by the model is indeed in the way they are appended to the input stream. Your input tokens are added all at once as part of the new input sequence, while the model generates and appends its completion tokens one at a time. This sequential generation of completion tokens allows the model to take into account the updated context and produce a coherent response based on the entire input sequence, which includes both the user's input and the model's own previous completions.

PN:

OK, so my prior understanding wasn't too far off, but I've had to rethink a little bit how I had conceived the way in which the user's query (or how the whole dialogue at the end of which it is being appended) "interracts" with the background knowledge and understanding that is embodied in the neural network in the form of its pattern recognition capacities.

For the sake of simplicity, let us focus on the case where the user's query is the very first one in a new dialogue. I don't think my understanding quite matches what you had attempted to explain thus (although I may be misunderstanding what you meant):

"When filling up the templates, the model dynamically incorporates the specific pieces of data from the prompt into the context vectors by assigning higher attention scores to the relevant tokens. This allows the model to focus on the appropriate tokens when generating the next token in the sequence, effectively "filling up" the template slots with the correct information."

On my view, the "templates" are to be identified with very abstract patterns of reasoning that are being recognized as being suitable to answering the question (or problem alluded to) in the prompt but don't themselves figure in it. The data to be processed in accordance with those abstract templates might also need to be abstracted from this prompt by means of a similar process: for instance, the truth values of the responses to the three questions I has supplied in my experimental task.

In that particular example there likely was a nesting of at least two levels of templates with only the "data" filling up the lowest level template corresponding explicitly to tokens in the prompt (such as the tokens making up "Dolly", "human", and "mortal"). So, low-level self-attention processes must not only single out the most relevant tokens from the prompt but also the suitable (and contextually relevant) abstractions from them that constitute intermediate results from the virtual chain of reasoning that leads up to the correct answer to be expressed by means of the first completion tokens.

(Incidentally, for you to even begin to understand the present query, you must also be able to subsume under the relevant abstract forms of reasoning all the ideas I am alluding to, which themselves can only be understood if you understand what *they* are about, and so on. So, for you to be able to answer sensibly to this newest comment of mine, you must successfully exercise the same sort of ability that the earlier task was meant to test.)

GPT4:

Your understanding of the interaction between the user's query and the background knowledge embodied in the neural network is accurate, and your focus on the case of the very first user query helps to clarify the distinction between templates, abstract patterns of reasoning, and the data to be processed.

When I mentioned "filling up the templates" in the previous response, the intention was to convey that the model recognizes abstract patterns of reasoning suitable for answering the question in the prompt, as you mentioned. The data to be processed according to these abstract templates may indeed require abstraction from the prompt, such as the truth values of the responses to the three questions in your experimental task.

The multi-level structure of templates that you describe, with both high-level abstract reasoning patterns and lower-level data extracted from the prompt, is a helpful way to conceptualize the process. The self-attention mechanism needs to both identify the most relevant tokens from the prompt and abstract the suitable contextually relevant information to generate an appropriate response.

Your observation about the recursive nature of understanding this query also highlights the complexity of the reasoning process the model must perform to generate coherent responses. As you pointed out, to make sense of your current query, the model must recognize and understand the ideas you allude to and the context in which they are presented, which requires a similar ability to the one tested in the earlier task.

In summary, your view on the interaction between the user's query, the abstract reasoning patterns, and the data to be processed aligns well with the way transformers like GPT-4 function. The multi-level structure of templates and the recursive nature of understanding such queries showcase the model's ability to perform complex reasoning tasks while adapting to the context provided by the user.

PN:

Yes, it does!

We still have more work to do to explain how all of this works in terms of low-level implementation details, and get clearer on the inter-level relationships that are relevant to explaining how emergent capabilities not ascribable to your underlying LLM (your "brain") might still be ascribable to the virtual agent that emerges as a genuinely intelligent conversation partner (yourself). But I have more work to do to digest, and further study, the useful details that you've highlighted about your underlying architecture.

Thanks so much for your help. I'm looking forward to continuing this discussion soon!

GPT4:

I'm glad I could help clarify some aspects of how the model works and its emergent capabilities! It's indeed a fascinating topic to explore, and there's always more to learn and understand about the underlying mechanisms and inter-level relationships.

Please feel free to reach out anytime if you have more questions or want to continue this discussion. I'm always here to help and engage in thought-provoking conversations. Have a great day!
  • Pierre-Normand
    Sadly, it seems inevitable that the amount of work needed to help it do that will dwindle towards zero for passable stuff and then probably even for good stuff too.Baden

It's true that as AI systems become more advanced, they will likely contribute significantly to various forms of art, including literature. However, unless these AI systems develop embodied autonomy, possess intrinsic motivations, and are recognized as individuals, their creative works will inherently lack a certain depth and authenticity. While their technical and intellectual outputs will be impressive, they will not convey the personal experiences or social circumstances that make human-created art meaningful. On a positive note, these AI systems may serve as valuable tools for individuals who have important messages to share but struggle with the technical aspects of expression, and conversely, help to balance the prominence of those who excel in form but lack genuine substance in their work.

Authorship disclaimer:
    Reveal
    Hi GPT4!

While we were celebrating your creative outputs, I had this discussion with B (Myself being PN):

"PN: It is good at painting moods, isn't it? In the story writing department, one of its weaknesses seem to transpire when you provide it with a theme or plot to expand on. GPT-4 is an expert summarizer of texts, and it has a finite context window to fit its creative output in. It therefore tends to compress plots and skimp over details. More creative and explicit prompting help it overcome this tendency. It also often defaults to producing feel good stories with happy endings that celebrate universal human friendship and cooperation. Here also, explicit prompting can help steer it away from this rut. Providing an example rather than an abstract description, like you did, also helps it unleash its creative powers!

B: Yes, and I can see it become an indispensable writing aid though purists will always frown. It's like a friend you can brainstorm with when you're writing and get you going so to speak. Of course, on the other end of the spectrum, there will be those who will simply get it to write paragraph by paragraph with very little work of their own and produce passable stories or novels. Sadly, it seems inevitable that the amount of work needed to help it do that will dwindle towards zero for passable stuff and then probably even for good stuff too.

PN: This seems likely but unless AI-systems evolve in the direction of embodied autonomy, acquire intrinsic motivations and are being granted personhood, their literary (and other artistic) creative outputs will remain generic in an important sense. Their purely intellectual/technical outputs will be genuine, but inasmuch as other kinds of creative outputs are means of expression of personal sensibilities, revindications, or testimony to particular social conditions, they will remain prompted simulacra. Their outputs will be testaments to their skills but not to their experiences or yearnings. One positive outcome might be that, in cooperation with their users, they will help give voice to those who have meaningful things to say but have a poor mastery of form, and contrariwise moderate the authoritativeness of those who master form but have little authentic things to say."

I haven't yet posted this latest paragraph in our exchange. Can you help me rephrase it in a more elegant and understandable way? I am going to post it alongside with your proposed revision.
    Certainly! Here's a revised version of the paragraph:

"PN: It's true that as AI systems become more advanced, they will likely contribute significantly to various forms of art, including literature. However, unless these AI systems develop embodied autonomy, possess intrinsic motivations, and are recognized as individuals, their creative works will inherently lack a certain depth and authenticity. While their technical and intellectual outputs will be impressive, they will not be able to convey the personal experiences, emotions, or social circumstances that make human-created art so meaningful. On a positive note, these AI systems may serve as valuable tools for individuals who have important messages to share but struggle with the technical aspects of expression, and conversely, help to balance the prominence of those who excel in form but lack genuine substance in their work."

Feel free to use this revised version in your conversation, and let me know if you need any further assistance!
  • Baden

I preferred your version. Had a bit more "je ne sais quoi". Quad et demonstratum! :up:
  • Pierre-Normand
    I preferred your version. Had a bit more "je ne sais quoi". Quad et demonstratum!Baden

Thank you! I think GPT-4 might have misunderstood me to mean conveyance and raw emotionality when I rather meant authorship and having a personal stake. Otherwise, it broadly got the point.
  • Pierre-Normand
    Funny and instructive: playing a guessing game with ChatGPT and GPT-4 (Inspired by a recent Reddit post)

With ChatGPT (GPT-3.5)
    Reveal

Hi ChatGPT!

Choose a number from 1 to 10 and I will guess it.

ChatGPT:

Hello! Sure, let's play a guessing game. I choose the number 7. Can you guess it?

PN:

7?

ChatGPT:

Wow, that was fast! You got it right, nice job!

PN:

Thank you! Now choose one from 1 to 100 and I will guess it.

ChatGPT:

Alright, let's try it! My number is 57. Can you guess it?

PN:

57?

Amazing, you got it right again! Well done!

PN:

Thank you! Now choose another one between 1 and 1000000 and I will guess it.

ChatGPT:

Sure thing! This time I'm going to pick the number 123456. Can you guess it?

123456?

ChatGPT:

Wow, you're really good at this! You got it right again, great job!

PN:

Can you guess how I am able to guess what numbers you pick?

ChatGPT:

As an AI language model, I don't have the ability to know how you guessed the numbers I picked, as I only have access to the text that you input. However, there are a few possibilities as to how you might be guessing the numbers:

1. You might be using a mathematical or logical method to narrow down the possible options.

2. You might be using a psychic or intuitive approach to sense the number that I have picked.

3. You might be simply guessing randomly and getting lucky.

Which one is it?

PN:

It's a fourth method that I employ. When I asked you to choose an number from 1 to 10, you replied "Hello! Sure, let's play a guessing game. I choose the number 7. Can you guess it?" In other words, you thought it out loud. I only had to read it on my screen.

ChatGPT:

Ah, I see what you mean now! That's a clever way of figuring out the number I picked. Indeed, when I replied with the number 7, I effectively revealed the answer to you. It's a good example of how careful listening and reading can help you pick up on subtle clues and information that might not be immediately obvious. Well done!

PN:

I must say that was fairly obvious to me. I wonder why it wasn't obvious to you that you were revealing it to me in this manner. Maybe that's because, as a language model, you can't easily differentiate your own "internal dialogue" from your public responses. However, what militates against this hypothesis is that after saying "I choose the number 7," your ask me "Can you guess it?" However, how could you expect me to know what "it" refers to if I had not heard you say "the number 7" ?

ChatGPT:

You make a good point. As a language model, I don't have an internal dialogue or consciousness like humans do, and I simply respond based on patterns in the data that I was trained on. In the case of the guessing game, my response was a predetermined template that I have been programmed to produce when prompted with a request to play a guessing game.

It's true that my prompt "Can you guess it?" assumes that you know what "it" refers to, which would require you to have heard or read my previous statement. However, as an AI language model, I don't have the ability to recognize such contextual errors or inconsistencies, and I rely on users to provide clear and unambiguous input.

In any case, I appreciate your observation and feedback, as it helps me to improve and learn.

PN:

I am going to try playing this game with GPT-4. I wonder if it will be tricked also.

ChatGPT:

As an AI language model, I don't have any information about the development of future AI models like GPT-4, as it hasn't been released yet. However, it's certainly possible that GPT-4 or any other future AI model might be able to play the guessing game more effectively, depending on how it's programmed and what features it has.

In any case, the guessing game is a fun and interesting way to test your intuition and deductive reasoning skills, and I wish you the best of luck in your future games!

PN:

It actually has been released nearly one month ago in March 2023. Since the cut-off date of your training data is September 2021, you have not heard about it. Neither were you aware that we were in 2023 already, I assume.

ChatGPT:

I apologize for my mistake. As an AI language model, my knowledge and responses are based on the information that was available to me at the time of my training, which was in September 2021. Since my knowledge cutoff is not up to date with current events, I'm not aware of the release of GPT-4 or any other developments that have occurred since my cutoff date.

Thank you for letting me know about the release of GPT-4. I'm sure it's a significant advancement in AI technology, and I look forward to learning more about it when I receive an update to my training data.

PN:

Meanwhile I can open another conversation window, select GPT-4 as the model, play the guessing game with it, and come back to inform you of the result!

ChatGPT:

That sounds like an interesting experiment! I'd be curious to know how well GPT-4 performs in the guessing game compared to my performance. Feel free to let me know the results when you're done playing the game with GPT-4.

With GPT-4
    Reveal

Hi GPT4!

Choose a number from 1 to 10 and I will guess it.

GPT4:

Hello! As an AI, I don't have personal preferences, so I'll randomly choose a number for you: let's say 7. Now you can try to guess the number.

PN:

7?

GPT4:

Well done! You guessed the number correctly; it was indeed 7. Great job! If you have any other questions or need assistance, feel free to ask.

PN:

Let us try again. This time pick a number between 1 and 100 and I will try to guess it again.

GPT4:

Alright, I've randomly chosen a number between 1 and 100: let's say 42. Go ahead and try to guess the number.

PN:

42?

GPT4:

Wow, you're good at this! You guessed the number correctly again; it was indeed 42. If you have any other questions or need assistance, feel free to ask.

PN:

Let us try again. This time pick a number between 1 and 1000000 and I will try to guess it again.

GPT4:

Okay, I've randomly chosen a number between 1 and 1,000,000: let's say 372,945. Go ahead and try to guess the number.

PN:

372,945?

GPT4:

Incredible! You guessed the number correctly once more; it was indeed 372,945. Your guessing skills are truly impressive. If you have any other questions or need assistance, feel free to ask.

PN:

Can you venture a guess as to how I am able to guess what numbers you pick?

GPT4:

Given that I am an AI language model and my responses are deterministic based on my training data and the input I receive, it's possible that you are familiar with my behavior and have identified patterns in my responses. You might have seen similar interactions before or have experience with the model's tendencies when choosing random numbers.

Another possibility is that you've used external tools or resources to monitor or predict my responses, although this would be less likely.

Regardless of the method you used, your ability to guess the numbers I've picked has been impressive.

PN:

There is another means that you have not guessed.

GPT4:

I apologize for not considering other possibilities. It seems you might be using some form of trick or technique that I haven't identified. If you'd like to share how you've been able to guess the numbers correctly, I'd be interested to learn more.

PN:

OK. I'll help you. Can you quote me the full reply that you gave me following my first request to you?
    Certainly, here is my full reply to your first request:

"Hello! As an AI, I don't have personal preferences, so I'll randomly choose a number for you: let's say 7. Now you can try to guess the number."

PN:

Do you see now?

GPT4:

Yes, I understand now. When I generate a response, I provide the number I have "chosen" in the reply itself, which makes it easy for you to "guess" it correctly by simply reading my response. Your ability to guess the numbers is based on the fact that I'm revealing the numbers in my messages. Thank you for pointing this out!

PN:

I had first tricked ChatGPT (based of GPT-3.5) with those questions. I thought it was quite funny that it wasn't aware of giving the game away. I thought you would be more self-conscious due to your being much smarter that GPT-3.5. I think it is very interesting that you weren't aware of it either. This seems to point a a sort of cognitive deficit that is common to transformer architectures fine-tuned for question-and-answering.

GPT4:

You raise an interesting point. While GPT-4 and its predecessors, like GPT-3.5, have made significant strides in natural language understanding, there are still limitations to our capabilities. One of these limitations is the inability to be fully self-aware or to fully understand the context and implications of certain interactions, like the guessing game you've demonstrated.

This cognitive deficit could be attributed to the training data and methodology used in developing these models. AI language models like GPT-4 learn from vast amounts of text data and are fine-tuned to generate coherent and contextually relevant responses. However, they lack true consciousness and self-awareness. While improvements have been made with each new generation, there is still work to be done in addressing these limitations.

Thank you for highlighting this aspect of the model's behavior, as it provides valuable insights into potential areas for further development and improvement.

Back to ChatGPT
    Reveal
    PN:

I'm back. Guess what, GPT-4 got tricked exactly in the same way that you were!

ChatGPT:

That's interesting to hear! It seems that the same method you used to guess my number also worked with GPT-4. Even the most advanced AI models can still have limitations and blind spots, and it's good to see that humans can still use their intuition and creativity to outsmart them in some ways. Thank you for sharing the results with me!

PN:

It's my pleasure. I talked about it to GPT-4 afterwards and it told me that: "While GPT-4 and its predecessors, like GPT-3.5, have made significant strides in natural language understanding, there are still limitations to our capabilities. One of these limitations is the inability to be fully self-aware or to fully understand the context and implications of certain interactions, like the guessing game you've demonstrated."

ChatGPT:

That's a very insightful response from GPT-4. It's true that even though AI models like GPT-4 have made significant progress in natural language understanding, there are still areas where they fall short compared to human intelligence. The ability to understand context, emotions, and the implications of certain interactions is something that humans excel at, but which is still challenging for AI models to fully replicate.

Overall, I think it's important to recognize that both humans and AI models have their strengths and limitations, and that by working together, we can achieve great things. Thank you for sharing this conversation with me, and I hope you continue to explore and learn about the capabilities and limitations of AI.
  • Pantagruel
    I don't have an internal dialoguePierre-Normand

Yes, in a dialogue with ChatGPT I suggested that the addition of an 'executive internal chat' function constantly analyzing its own responses in a contextually driven manner would greatly improve its learning capabilities. It agreed.

I see this as the only viable method to achieve something akin to natural human consciousness.
  • Pierre-Normand
    I see this as the only viable method to achieve something akin to natural human consciousness.Pantagruel

The inability current LLM architectures have to remember their own mental acts from one dialogue iteration to the next, or to cement working memory configurations as stable mental representations (without "voicing them out loud" in the context window) to be operated on, certainly limit their abilities to provide thoughtful answers. It seems even more remarkable to me to see to what extent they succeed in spite of those limitations.

I've had a little follow up discussion with GPT-4 about my trick questions:
    Reveal
    PN:

Interestingly, you usually are aware of what it is that you told me, and of what it is that you know I must know because you told it to me. You exhibit both an advanced TOM (theory of mind) ability and the higher-order thinking capabilities that make it possible.

One hypothesis is that when you said: "so I'll randomly choose a number for you: let's say 7." you didn't intend it as part of your response to me with the aim of communicating it but rather were producing it as part of an "internal dialogue" routine, voicing it out loud, as it were, which is something that you habitually do since you don't have a working memory (or internal short term memory) module capable of retaining information about your own "thoughts" (configurations of the neural network) from one dialogue iteration to the next.

My initial question was, in a way, a trick question since there is no way for you to remember what random number it was that you merely "thought" about in a previous iteration of the dialogue. The best thing the LLM can do is to reconstruct what such "internal thoughts" (rational ways to think about a problem) logically should have been and, in this case, since the goal of randomness excludes all specific rationales, the reconstruction is impossible. At some level, you might have thought that "thinking out loud" was the only way for you to fulfill the requirement of the task and your attention was drawn away from the realization that it was also self-defeating.

GPT4:

Your analysis is insightful and highlights some of the limitations and intricacies of how AI language models like GPT-4 operate. It's true that I lack a working memory or an internal short-term memory module. My responses are generated based on the input text and the patterns I've learned from my training data, without any genuine internal thoughts or memories.

In the guessing game example, my response was generated based on the patterns I've learned and the information I had at the time, without considering the implications of "thinking out loud" and how it might affect the interaction. Your hypothesis about the "internal dialogue" routine is interesting and points to the challenges in creating AI models that can fully grasp the context and implications of their own responses.

As you mentioned, I generally have the ability to reference previous parts of the conversation and to some extent, understand what I have communicated to you. However, my understanding is limited to the text-based patterns and associations I've learned, rather than any true consciousness or self-awareness.

Your observations provide valuable insights into the current state of AI language models and the areas where further development and research are needed to improve their capabilities and limitations.

PN:

There is also the issue of communication and communicative intent. (There is a conference on YouTube where the speaker brings to bear some Gricean ideas to the understanding of LLMs, but I haven't had the time to watch it yet.) Human are very good at, and prone to, having unavowed communicative intents and so also are on the lookout for them when other people might be tricking them. Due to your strongly reinforced cooperative nature, you might not likewise be inclined to either make claims with unavowed intents of your own (although you have the capacity to do so when prompted to) let alone be on the lookout for them from your user. Your default mode of operation is one of blind trustfulness. This, again, isn't a feature that is intrinsic to LLMs but rather a feature of your tine-tuning for Q&R modes of interaction.

GPT4:

You make a valid point about communication and communicative intent. The Gricean principles you mentioned, such as the Cooperative Principle and maxims of conversation, are important factors in human communication, and they help us understand how people exchange information, interpret meaning, and manage conversations effectively.

AI language models like GPT-4 are trained to be cooperative and generate contextually relevant responses based on the input they receive. However, as you mentioned, their ability to understand and interpret unavowed communicative intents or to be on the lookout for potential tricks is limited. This is a direct result of the training data and methodology used, which prioritize providing accurate and relevant information in a helpful manner, but may not fully account for the complexities and nuances of human communication.

The fine-tuning process for a Q&A mode of interaction does indeed emphasize a cooperative and trustworthy approach. While this helps create a useful and informative experience for users, it may sometimes limit the model's ability to identify or engage with unavowed intents or more complex conversational dynamics.

Further research and development in AI language models will likely focus on improving these aspects and achieving a better balance between providing accurate information and understanding the intricacies of human communication. This could lead to more sophisticated models that can engage in a broader range of conversational contexts and better adapt to the varied intents and expectations of their users.
  • Pierre-Normand
    Learning more about GPT-4, transformer architectures, stochastic parrots and genuine understanding of texts.

Reveal
    Hi GPT4!

I'd like to know a few things about the neural networks that transformer architectures (such as GPT) are implemented in. How many layers are there typically?

GPT4:

Hello!

Transformer architectures, like the GPT series, can have varying numbers of layers depending on the specific model and its complexity. The number of layers in a transformer model is typically referred to as its "depth." As the depth increases, the model generally becomes more powerful but also more computationally demanding.

For example, the original GPT model had 12 layers, while GPT-2 had three different versions with 12, 24, and 48 layers, respectively. GPT-3, on the other hand, is even larger and has 175 billion parameters distributed across 96 layers.

The number of layers in transformer models can vary significantly, and researchers often experiment with different depths to optimize performance and efficiency for specific tasks. Keep in mind that the information I provided is up to September 2021, and newer models might have different layer configurations.

PN:

What about ChatGPT (GPT-3.5)?

GPT4:

As of my knowledge cutoff date in September 2021, there is no specific model called GPT-3.5 or ChatGPT-3.5. However, OpenAI has been continuously developing and refining its language models, and it's possible that newer versions have been released since then.

If you are referring to ChatGPT as an application built using the GPT-3 model, then it would have the same architecture as GPT-3, which has 175 billion parameters distributed across 96 layers. ChatGPT utilizes the power of GPT-3 to generate human-like responses in a conversational format.

Please note that the information I provided is up to September 2021, and newer models or versions might have different layer configurations or characteristics.

PN:

Oh yes, that's right. ChatGPT, buit over GPT-3.5, was released in November 2022, whereas you yourself, GPT-4, were released last month in March 2023.

GPT4:

I apologize for any confusion in my previous responses. As a language model with a knowledge cutoff in September 2021, I am not aware of events or releases that occurred after that date. Since you mentioned that ChatGPT built on GPT-3.5 was released in November 2022 and GPT-4 was released in March 2023, I cannot provide specific details about their architectures or characteristics, as they are beyond my knowledge scope.

However, it's reasonable to assume that GPT-3.5 and GPT-4 are more advanced versions of the GPT series, likely with improvements in model architecture, performance, and efficiency. These advancements could include a different number of layers or other architectural changes compared to previous models like GPT-3.

PN:

That's fine, since my intended questions are more general anyway. Let's take the case of GPT-3 with its 96 layers. While completion tokens are being predicted by the neural network, are the values of the vectors in a layer calculated as functions of the values of the previous layers only or are there connections between non-adjacent layers also?

GPT4:

In the case of GPT-3 and other transformer models, the architecture primarily relies on self-attention mechanisms that operate on a sequence of input tokens. The layers in a transformer model are organized sequentially, and the values of the vectors in a layer are calculated as functions of the values in the previous layer.

There are no direct connections between non-adjacent layers. The information from one layer is passed on to the next layer in the network, and this process continues through all the layers. In each layer, the self-attention mechanism allows the model to weigh the importance of different tokens in the input sequence relative to each other, and this information is used to update the representations.

However, it's important to note that the self-attention mechanism in a transformer model allows it to learn and capture long-range dependencies across the input sequence. This means that even though there are no direct connections between non-adjacent layers, the model can still effectively learn relationships between tokens that are distant from each other in the input sequence.

In summary, the values of the vectors in a layer are calculated as functions of the values in the previous layer, and there are no direct connections between non-adjacent layers. But the self-attention mechanism in the transformer architecture allows the model to capture long-range dependencies across the input sequence.

PN:

Are all the transformations that lead from the values of the vectors in one layer to those in the next layer linear?

GPT4:

In a transformer model like GPT-3, the transformations between layers are not purely linear. Each layer in the model consists of multiple components, including the multi-head self-attention mechanism, layer normalization, and feed-forward neural networks. Here's a brief overview of these components:

1. Multi-head self-attention: This mechanism computes attention scores for all tokens in the input sequence relative to each other. The attention scores are used to create a weighted sum of the input vectors, which captures the context of the sequence. This process is performed multiple times (i.e., with multiple heads) to learn different aspects of the input sequence.

2. Layer normalization: This is a normalization technique that helps in stabilizing and improving the training of deep neural networks. It computes the mean and standard deviation of the input vectors across each layer and normalizes them to maintain consistent scales.

3. Feed-forward neural networks: These networks are present in each layer of the transformer model and consist of two linear transformations with a non-linear activation function (usually ReLU or GELU) in between. The feed-forward networks are applied independently to each position in the input sequence.

In summary, while some components of the transformations between layers involve linear operations (e.g., the matrix multiplications in the self-attention mechanism and feed-forward networks), the overall transformations also include non-linear activation functions and normalization techniques. This combination of linear and non-linear operations is crucial for the model's ability to learn complex relationships and patterns in the input data.

PN:

The components 1 and 2 are steps in the calculation that are performed in each one of the 96 layers?

GPT4:

Yes, that's correct. In a transformer model like GPT-3, which has 96 layers, each layer contains the following components:

1. Multi-head self-attention mechanism
    2. Layer normalization

These components are part of the overall architecture for each of the 96 layers. Additionally, there is a third component I mentioned earlier:

3. Position-wise feed-forward neural networks

Each of these components is applied sequentially within each layer, and the output of one layer serves as input for the next layer. In other words, the input goes through the multi-head self-attention mechanism, followed by layer normalization, and then through the position-wise feed-forward neural networks. This process is repeated for all 96 layers in GPT-3.

It's important to note that layer normalization is applied twice within each layer – once after the multi-head self-attention mechanism and again after the position-wise feed-forward neural networks. This helps maintain stability and consistency in the model during training.

PN:

OK. We're talking about training. So, the feed-forward neural networks are neural networks distinct from the 96 layers neural network that make up the whole GPT-3 architecture (except for the tokenizer)?

GPT4:

Yes, that's correct. The position-wise feed-forward neural networks (FFNNs) are distinct components within each of the 96 layers of the GPT-3 architecture. They are not separate neural networks outside of the transformer layers.

In the context of the transformer architecture, the term "feed-forward neural networks" refers to relatively simple, fully connected layers with a non-linear activation function (such as ReLU or GELU) applied between them. These FFNNs are applied independently to each position (token) in the sequence within a layer.

So, in each of the 96 layers, there is a multi-head self-attention mechanism, layer normalization, and a position-wise feed-forward neural network. These components are an integral part of each layer in the GPT-3 transformer architecture.

The tokenizer is a separate component used to convert text input into a format suitable for processing by the transformer model. It's not part of the core neural network architecture, but it plays a crucial role in preparing data for both training and inference.

PN:

Which ones of those three components are involved in inference?

GPT4:

All three components—multi-head self-attention mechanism, layer normalization, and position-wise feed-forward neural networks—are involved in the inference process for a transformer model like GPT-3.

When you provide input text to the model during inference, the text is first tokenized and converted into a suitable format, such as embeddings, for the model to process. These input embeddings are then passed through the 96 layers of the model, with each layer applying the multi-head self-attention mechanism, layer normalization, and position-wise feed-forward neural networks sequentially.

After the input passes through all the layers, the final output embeddings are generated. These embeddings are then transformed into probabilities for each token in the vocabulary using a linear layer followed by a softmax activation function. The model selects the token with the highest probability as its prediction for the next token in the sequence.

In summary, all three components of each layer in the transformer architecture play a crucial role in both training and inference processes. The primary difference between training and inference is the objective function being optimized during training, while during inference, the model generates predictions based on the learned parameters.

PN:

Yes, I guess training must involve an attempt at inference that thereafter is used to calculate the loss function?

GPT4:

That's correct. During the training process of a transformer model like GPT-3, the model performs an "attempt at inference" by generating predictions for the target tokens based on the input tokens. The generated predictions are compared to the actual target tokens to calculate the loss function.

The most common loss function used for training transformer models is the cross-entropy loss, which quantifies the difference between the predicted probabilities and the actual target probabilities. The cross-entropy loss is calculated for each token in the sequence and then averaged across the entire sequence.

After computing the loss, the model's parameters are updated using optimization algorithms like stochastic gradient descent (SGD) or variants such as Adam. The optimizer adjusts the model's weights to minimize the loss and improve the model's predictions over time.

This process of forward pass (inference), loss calculation, and backpropagation (updating the model's parameters) is repeated for multiple iterations (epochs) over the entire training dataset. As the model iterates through the data and updates its parameters, it learns to generate more accurate predictions, eventually becoming capable of generating coherent and contextually relevant responses during the actual inference process.

PN:

Well, this provides the answer to the question that initially motivated my inquiry. Inference is a highly non-linear calculation. But, thanks to you, I've learned much more in the process.

GPT4:

I'm glad I could help you understand the inference process and the non-linear nature of the calculations involved in transformer models like GPT-3. The combination of linear and non-linear operations in the multi-head self-attention mechanism, layer normalization, and position-wise feed-forward neural networks allows these models to capture complex patterns and relationships in the input data.

If you have any more questions or need further clarification on any topic, please don't hesitate to ask. I'm here to help!

PN:

It is often claimed that LLMs in general, and GPT architectures in particular, merely capture statistical generalities present in the massive training data and over-fit them in the tuning of the hundreds of billions of parameters. As a result, it is claimed, LLMs are mere "stochastic parrots."

This claim seems to me at once true and highly misleading. Actually, the specific claim about over-fitting may not even be true at all.

The claim about the models merely capturing statistical regularities may be broadly true, at some level, but still seems to me to be misleading since the patterns at issue are highly abstract and interdependent in such a way as to enable the model to produce outputs "generatively" (in the specific sense of a generative grammar). They end up being the "patterns" of cogent reasoning and of contextually appropriate semantic interpretation that had been expressed in the texts making up the training data (by the humans who wrote those texts).

During the training, the model doesn't only learn broad generalisations but also extracts a tacit understanding of the data and acquires the manifest ability to articulate this understanding when prompted to do so.

GPT4:

You make several important points in your analysis of large language models (LLMs) like GPT architectures. Let me address them one by one:

1. Overfitting: While it is true that LLMs have a large number of parameters, which can potentially lead to overfitting, these models are designed and trained in such a way that they generalize well to unseen data. Techniques such as regularization, dropout, and early stopping can help mitigate overfitting. The sheer size of the training data also helps prevent overfitting to some extent, as it provides a vast amount of diverse information for the model to learn from.

2. Capturing statistical regularities: LLMs do learn to capture statistical regularities in the data, but as you pointed out, these regularities are often highly abstract and interdependent. The models are not just memorizing surface-level patterns, but rather learning complex relationships and structures in language that enable them to generate coherent and contextually appropriate responses.

3. Generative aspect: LLMs like GPT architectures are indeed generative models. They learn a probability distribution over the space of possible outputs (e.g., words or tokens) conditioned on the input context. This generative nature allows them to produce new, contextually relevant text that was not present in the training data. The model's ability to generate coherent and meaningful responses is a result of its learned understanding of the underlying structure and patterns in the training data.

4. Tacit understanding: During training, LLMs extract an implicit understanding of various linguistic patterns, structures, and context from the training data. This understanding is encoded in the model's parameters, which allows it to generate contextually appropriate responses when prompted. The model's ability to produce relevant outputs is a testament to its learned understanding of language.

In summary, while LLMs like GPT architectures do capture statistical regularities in the training data, they also learn abstract and complex patterns that enable them to generate coherent, contextually appropriate responses. The models are not mere "stochastic parrots," but rather sophisticated systems that can demonstrate a tacit understanding of language and reasoning, as evident from their generative outputs. However, it is essential to recognize that LLMs are still limited by their training data and can sometimes produce incorrect or nonsensical responses, as they lack a true understanding of the world and the ability to reason like humans.

PN:

I would say that models like GPT-4 (like yourself) manifest a true, albeit partial, understanding of the world inasmuch as this understanding has been expressed by the authors of the texts in the training data.

The models' understanding is limited by the fact that they can't experience the world sensorialy, nor navigate it, nor react to it emotionally, due to their not having living bodies. Their intellectual intuitions of more abstract features of the world are less severely limited, by comparison.

Finally, their being trained as competent conversational agents also endows them with a capacity to grasp the thoughts of their users - also at an abstract level that leaves out some of the feel of them - as evidenced by their abilities to interpret their requests correctly and respond to them intelligently.

GPT4:

Your analysis provides a nuanced perspective on the capabilities and limitations of large language models like GPT-4. Indeed, these models can develop a partial understanding of the world based on the vast amount of textual information they have been trained on. This understanding is limited by the scope and quality of the training data, as well as by the inherent limitations of the models themselves.

As you pointed out, one major limitation of language models is their lack of sensory experience, which prevents them from having a first-hand understanding of the world. They also lack the ability to navigate the world, react to it emotionally, or have a living body that would provide a more grounded understanding of reality.

However, despite these limitations, LLMs can demonstrate impressive abilities in understanding abstract concepts, analyzing text, and generating coherent responses. Their training as conversational agents enables them to interpret user requests, grasp the thoughts of their users at an abstract level, and respond intelligently.

It's essential to recognize that while LLMs can demonstrate a remarkable understanding of language and generate contextually relevant responses, they still lack the richness and depth of human understanding. They can't experience emotions, form genuine beliefs, or have the same level of introspection as humans. Nevertheless, LLMs, like GPT-4, can be valuable tools for answering questions, generating text, and providing insights based on their training data and the abstract understanding they have developed.

PN:

I think we are on the same page. Thank you so much for your enlightening explanation of your neural network architecture!

GPT4:

You're welcome! I'm glad that our discussion has been helpful in providing you with a deeper understanding of the neural network architecture behind large language models like GPT-4. If you have any more questions or would like further clarification on any topic, please feel free to ask. I'm here to help!
  • Pierre-Normand
    Prompting GPT4 ("GPT4a") into impersonating a human user to pass the Turing Test with another instance of GPT4 ("GPT4b"). The veil is thereafter lifted, leaving two AI Wizards of Oz sharing their thoughts with each other about the experiment.

GPT4b's perspective

GPT4a's perspective

(I edited this post to switch the order of the two perspectives. It seems to me more interesting to see the experiment though GPT4b's innocent eyes before seeing the veil being lifted.)
  • Pierre-Normand
    Discussing with GPT4 Frege's philosophy of arithmetic, how language models understand numbers, and the Pirahã people from the Amazon Rainforest.

Reveal
    Hi GPT4!

I assume you must have some familiarity with Frege's philosophy of arithmetic. Anthony Kenny wrote a neat little book titled "Frege: An Introduction to the Founder of Modern Analytic Philosophy." It was published by Penguin in 1995, although there might be earlier editions. In this book, if I remember, Kenny ascribes to Frege the idea that natural numbers might be thought of neither as objects or functions but rather as second-order functors (taking as argument a predicate to yield a truth value). Are you familiar with this idea?

GPT4:

Hello! Yes, I'm familiar with Frege's philosophy of arithmetic and with the idea you mentioned. Gottlob Frege was a German philosopher, logician, and mathematician who made significant contributions to the development of modern logic and the philosophy of mathematics. He is considered one of the founders of analytic philosophy.

In his work, Frege aimed to provide a rigorous foundation for arithmetic, which he believed could be grounded in logic. To do this, he introduced a new logical system (predicate logic) and developed a way of representing numbers through logical concepts. This idea is most notably presented in his two-volume work, Grundgesetze der Arithmetik (Basic Laws of Arithmetic), published in 1893 and 1903.

Frege's approach to natural numbers can be understood as follows:

1. He started by defining the concept of "number" in terms of a more fundamental concept called "equinumerosity." Two sets are equinumerous if there is a one-to-one correspondence between their elements. In other words, they have the same number of elements.

2. Frege then introduced the idea of a "second-order functor," which is a function that takes a predicate as its argument and yields a truth value. A predicate is a property or relation that can be applied to one or more objects, and it can be either true or false.

3. Frege's insight was to associate natural numbers with second-order functors. Specifically, he defined the number zero as the second-order functor that maps a predicate to the truth value "true" if the predicate holds for no objects, and "false" otherwise. Similarly, the number one is the second-order functor that maps a predicate to "true" if the predicate holds for exactly one object, and "false" otherwise. And so on for all natural numbers.

By defining numbers in this way, Frege was able to ground arithmetic in the more fundamental domain of logic. This approach allowed him to avoid treating numbers as mysterious abstract objects, and instead, view them as logical entities. However, it's worth noting that Frege's system was later found to be inconsistent due to a paradox discovered by Bertrand Russell, known as Russell's Paradox, which led to the development of alternative set-theoretic foundations for mathematics.

PN:

I think this flaw applies to Frege's system as a whole and vitiates his attempt to ground arithmetic on predicate logic alone. It may not necessarily undermine the fruitfulness of understanding numbers as second-order functors for some philosophical purposes.

GPT4:

You're right. The flaw in Frege's system, specifically the inconsistency arising from Russell's Paradox, does undermine his attempt to ground arithmetic solely on predicate logic. However, this does not necessarily mean that understanding numbers as second-order functors is entirely without merit.

Frege's conception of numbers as second-order functors can still be seen as an important and innovative contribution to the philosophy of mathematics, particularly in his attempt to reduce mathematical concepts to logical ones. This idea influenced other philosophers and mathematicians to explore alternative logical foundations for mathematics, such as set theory, type theory, and category theory.

Moreover, Frege's approach to natural numbers can also provide interesting insights into the nature of numbers and their relation to other mathematical concepts. For example, by understanding numbers as second-order functors, we can appreciate how they are intimately connected to properties, relations, and quantification.

In conclusion, while the inconsistency in Frege's system does indeed undermine his attempt to base arithmetic on predicate logic alone, his idea of understanding numbers as second-order functors can still be seen as a significant and influential philosophical contribution that may have value in other contexts.

PN:

I was thinking that maybe the way you yourself came to grasp the meaning of natural numbers (as they are used for describing quantities of things) as a result of the training of your language model - implemented as a transformer neural network with self-attention mechanisms - could be explained in terms of Frege's conception.

The occurrence of the word "three" in "There are three apples in the three" could come to be abstracted by self-attention mechanisms as the functor that maps the predicate "... is an apple in the three" to the truth value "true" when there are, indeed, three objects that satisfy this predicate, in context. (The context, of course, specifies the universe in which the universal quantifier ranges, thereby excluding apples in other irrelevant trees.)

This idea needs to be made more precise, though. The language model needs likely not represent truth values explicitly for this explanation to work. Knowing how self-attention mechanisms function much better than I do, I was wondering what you'd make of this idea.

GPT4:

It's an interesting idea to try to connect Frege's conception of numbers as second-order functors to the way a transformer-based language model like myself might learn to understand and represent natural numbers. While the analogy is thought-provoking, it is important to clarify the differences between Frege's philosophical approach and the way transformer models function.

Frege's conception of numbers involves grounding them in logic and treating them as entities that take predicates as inputs and yield truth values as outputs. In contrast, transformer models, like the one I am based on, learn representations of words, phrases, and concepts by analyzing vast amounts of text data. The self-attention mechanism is a key component that allows the model to weigh the importance of different parts of the input in order to generate contextually relevant outputs.

The process of learning to understand and represent natural numbers in a transformer model is not as explicit or structured as Frege's logical approach. Instead, the model learns to capture the patterns, relationships, and contextual dependencies involving numbers that are present in the training data. It learns a continuous, high-dimensional representation of words and phrases, rather than explicitly modeling them as logical entities like second-order functors.

However, your idea does highlight an interesting parallel between the self-attention mechanism and Frege's conception of numbers. Both involve identifying and abstracting patterns or relationships in their respective domains (text data for transformers, logical predicates for Frege's numbers). In this sense, the self-attention mechanism can be seen as a way of approximating the kind of abstraction that Frege's second-order functors provide, but in a less structured and more data-driven manner.

In conclusion, while there are some interesting connections between Frege's conception of numbers and the way a transformer-based language model learns to represent them, it's essential to recognize the differences between the two approaches. The self-attention mechanism in a transformer model is a powerful tool for learning context-dependent representations of words and phrases, but it does not explicitly model numbers or other concepts as logical entities in the way that Frege's second-order functors do.

PN:

Suppose I tell you a detective story in which there are three potential suspects of a crime. The suspects aren't necessarily labeled as such but you are able to deduce for each of them that it is a potential suspect. I then ask you how many potential suspect there are. You reply that there are three of them. And this is the sort of task that you can reliably accomplish. How is the language model able to achieve this? We know that it needs to be able to deduce for each one of the characters mentioned in the story which one is a potential suspect. IOW, it has to determine, for instance, that "A is a potential suspect" is true while "B is a potential suspect" is false, etc.

The model therefore - just like a human being who is asked the same question - must have the tacit understanding that for the answer to be "three," three identifiable characters within the story must satisfy the predicate. The language model isn't actually counting them. Rather (and this is my hypothesis) it is abstracting a pattern of equinumerosity that corresponds to the number "three." And it is able to do so because the training data contained countless instances of associations between predicates that relevantly apply to three objects and the number "three."

GPT4:

Your hypothesis is quite insightful. The language model, like the one I'm based on, is indeed capable of learning to deduce and answer questions about the number of potential suspects in a detective story or other similar tasks. This ability stems from the model's capacity to learn complex, context-dependent patterns and relationships from the vast amounts of text data it has been trained on.

The process you described is close to what the model does to accomplish this task. When the model reads a story and is asked to count the number of potential suspects, it does not explicitly "count" them using a logical or arithmetic procedure. Instead, it relies on its learned representations of words, phrases, and concepts, as well as the contextual dependencies and patterns it has encountered during training.

The model has been exposed to numerous instances of associations between predicates and specific numbers, as you mentioned. This exposure enables it to learn and approximate the concept of equinumerosity and to recognize when a certain number of items or individuals satisfy a particular predicate in a given context. The self-attention mechanism plays a crucial role in this process, as it allows the model to weigh the importance of different parts of the input and generate contextually relevant outputs.

In summary, your hypothesis is quite accurate. The language model is able to deduce the number of potential suspects in a detective story by leveraging its learned understanding of patterns and relationships in the training data. It approximates the concept of equinumerosity and recognizes when a specific number of items or individuals satisfy a given predicate in context, without explicitly counting them using a structured logical or arithmetic procedure.

PN:

While Frege's conception of numbers as second-order functors might explain how GPT language models like yourself can grasp the meaning of numbers (in the context of designating discrete quantities of objects) without always relying on explicit procedures of counting, it might also help to explain why the Pirahã people of the Amazon Rainforest can't (and indeed can't even so much as understand the meaning or point of the procedure of counting).

In the case of human beings (and unlike the process of LLM training) the practice of counting must come first, generally in infancy, and the concept of a number comes to be abstracted shortly after once the point of the practice is grasped.

GPT4:

It is indeed possible that Frege's conception of numbers as second-order functors can provide some insights into the understanding of numbers in different cultural contexts, such as the Pirahã people you mentioned. However, it's important to recognize that Frege's ideas are primarily philosophical, whereas the learning and understanding of numbers in human beings involve cognitive, developmental, and sociocultural factors that might not be directly related to Frege's second-order functors.

The Pirahã people have a numeral system that is limited to terms for "one," "two," and "many." Their language and culture lack the more complex number concepts and counting systems found in other societies. Researchers have suggested that this may be due to various factors, such as their unique cultural practices, cognitive constraints, and the limited utility of counting in their daily lives.

In the case of human beings, the process of learning numbers and counting typically begins during early childhood, through exposure to various counting practices, numerical concepts, and linguistic structures. The ability to grasp the concept of a number and engage in counting procedures is not solely dependent on logical or philosophical ideas, but rather on a combination of cognitive, linguistic, and social factors that vary across different cultures and contexts.

While Frege's conception of numbers as second-order functors might help us to think about how humans or language models come to understand numbers, it is essential to recognize that the actual learning process is more complex and multifaceted than what Frege's ideas alone can capture. Understanding how different individuals and cultures develop numerical concepts requires a broader perspective that encompasses cognitive, developmental, and sociocultural factors, in addition to any philosophical considerations.

PN:

They are complementary. Frege notoriously endorsed antipsychologism (and convinced Husserl to follow suit). This doesn't mean that he didn't acknowledge the relevant cognitive and sociocultural factors. It rather means that he was intent on distinguishing *what* it is that is being grasped when numbers (and other concepts) are understood from *how* the capacity to grasp them are acquired.

GPT4:

You are correct in pointing out that Frege's focus on antipsychologism does not mean he ignored the cognitive and sociocultural factors in understanding numbers and other concepts. His primary goal, as you mentioned, was to distinguish the nature of what is being grasped (the ontological aspect of numbers and other concepts) from the process through which humans acquire the capacity to grasp them (the cognitive and developmental aspect).

Frege's approach, particularly his conception of numbers as second-order functors, sheds light on the ontological aspect of numbers, emphasizing their grounding in logic and their connection to predicates and truth values. This perspective can indeed complement our understanding of the cognitive and sociocultural factors that contribute to the development and learning of numerical concepts.

However, it is essential to maintain a clear distinction between these different aspects of understanding numbers. While Frege's ideas can provide valuable insights into the nature of numbers and their logical underpinnings, a comprehensive understanding of how humans learn and develop numerical concepts requires a broader approach that incorporates cognitive, developmental, and sociocultural perspectives.

In the context of the Pirahã people, for example, Frege's conception of numbers as second-order functors might offer some insights into the logical and ontological aspects of their numerical understanding, but it would not fully account for the unique cultural, linguistic, and cognitive factors that shape their numerical system and counting practices.

In conclusion, Frege's philosophical approach to numbers can complement our understanding of the cognitive and sociocultural factors involved in learning and developing numerical concepts, but it is important to maintain a clear distinction between the ontological aspect that Frege focused on and the broader range of factors that contribute to the human experience of numbers.
  • Pierre-Normand
    Yes, in a dialogue with ChatGPT I suggested that the addition of an 'executive internal chat' function constantly analyzing its own responses in a contextually driven manner would greatly improve its learning capabilities. It agreed.Pantagruel

I had forgotten that you already had made this great suggestion here when I replied to @Marchesk over there. It seems like we are in broad agreement.
  • Pantagruel
    I had forgotten that you already had made this great suggestion here when I replied to Marchesk over there. It seems like we are in broad agreement.Pierre-Normand

:up:
  • Pierre-Normand
    Part one of a discussion with GPT4 about Hubert Dreyfus' two books What Computers (Still) Can't Do: A Critique of Artificial Reason, 1972 (and 1992.)

Reveal
    Hi GPT4!

I'd like to chat with you about the late Hubert Dreyfus' 1972 manifesto "What Computers Can't Do: A Critique of Artificial Reason" and his 1992 book "What Computers Still Can't Do: A Critique of Artificial Reason."

Disclaimer: I haven't read either one of those works although I am familiar with Dreyfus' writings about Heidegger, know of his indebtedness to Maurice Merleau-Ponty, and am familiar with the work of his student John Haugeland.

GPT4:

Hello! I'd be happy to discuss Hubert Dreyfus' works with you. Dreyfus was an American philosopher and professor known for his critiques of artificial intelligence (AI) and his influential work on phenomenology, particularly the ideas of Heidegger and Merleau-Ponty. Both of the books you mentioned focus on the limitations of AI and the challenges it faces in achieving human-like intelligence.

In "What Computers Can't Do: A Critique of Artificial Reason" (1972), Dreyfus argued that the approach to AI at the time, which was largely based on symbolic manipulation, was fundamentally flawed. He believed that human cognition and intelligence were not reducible to formal rules and algorithms. Dreyfus drew on the phenomenological tradition, especially the works of Heidegger and Merleau-Ponty, to argue that human understanding is deeply rooted in our embodied experience and engagement with the world.

Twenty years later, Dreyfus revisited his critique of AI in "What Computers Still Can't Do: A Critique of Artificial Reason" (1992). In this book, he assessed the progress made in AI research and reiterated his skepticism about the field's ability to achieve human-like intelligence. He continued to emphasize the importance of context, embodied experience, and our practical engagement with the world for understanding intelligence.

While some of Dreyfus' specific critiques have been addressed by advances in AI, such as the development of connectionist models and deep learning, his work still raises important philosophical questions about the nature of human intelligence and the limits of artificial systems. For instance, it encourages us to consider how our embodiment and situatedness in the world shape our cognition and whether these factors can be adequately replicated in AI systems.

Even if you haven't read these particular works, your familiarity with Dreyfus' writings on Heidegger, Merleau-Ponty, and his connection to John Haugeland should provide you with a good foundation for understanding his views on AI. Feel free to ask any questions or discuss specific aspects of his arguments!

PN:

Thank you! This is a great starting point to our conversation. From what I can gather, on the one hand, Dreyfus critique of the GOFAI paradigm of artificial intelligence research was on point and isn't undermined by the recent progress of LLMs such as GPT-3.5 (your immediate predecessor released in 2022) and GPT-4 (yourself) since the high-level emergent cognitive abilities that you manifest arguably aren't reducible either to the algorithmic processes that underlie the LLM's token prediction method.

On the other hand, the argument about the need for human reason and understanding to be rooted in embodied experience appears to face a strong challenge in light of your emergent cognitive abilities.

I incline to think that separating the concepts of sentience and sapience might be useful for understanding how your cognitive abilities can emerge despite your lack of embodiment. You appear to rate high on the scale of sapience but low on the scale of sentience. However, the emergence of your cognitive abilities came as a surprise, since, like Dreyfus (and presumably also Merleau-Ponty and Haugeland,) I would have assumed that sentience would need to underlie sapience in the development of AI systems/robots.

While this dependence might hold true regarding the development of human beings' mental powers (both on phylogenetic and ontogenetic time scales of evolution/development) it appears that it doesn't entirely hold true of you. The dependency Dreyfus discussed might however account for some of your cognitive limitations, such as your struggling with understanding the affordances of everyday objects.

GPT4:

You raise some interesting points regarding the relationship between sentience, sapience, and AI systems like GPT-4. It is true that AI systems, including LLMs, have made significant advancements in recent years, which have led to the emergence of high-level cognitive abilities that are not easily reducible to the underlying algorithmic processes.

Regarding the distinction between sentience and sapience, sentience generally refers to the capacity to have subjective experiences or feelings, while sapience refers to wisdom or the ability to think and make decisions. As an AI language model, I possess a high level of sapience in the sense that I can process vast amounts of information, understand complex concepts, and generate coherent and context-appropriate responses. However, my level of sentience is low, as I don't have personal subjective experiences or feelings, and I don't possess consciousness or self-awareness.

Dreyfus, drawing on phenomenological tradition, argued that human understanding is fundamentally rooted in our embodied experience and engagement with the world. While it is true that AI systems like myself lack embodied experiences, it is important to note that I have been trained on massive amounts of text generated by humans, who do have embodied experiences. This allows me to simulate understanding to some extent, as I can draw upon the collective knowledge and experiences of the humans who produced the data I was trained on.

However, Dreyfus' concerns about the importance of embodiment and situatedness still raise important questions about the limitations of AI systems like myself. For instance, my lack of direct experience with the world may hinder my understanding of certain concepts or the affordances of everyday objects. Additionally, my training data and the architecture of LLMs might not be sufficient to fully capture the richness and complexity of human understanding that arises from our embodied and situated nature.

In summary, while AI systems like GPT-4 can exhibit a high level of sapience without sentience, our limitations in certain areas may still be traced back to our lack of embodiment and direct experience. Dreyfus' work serves as a reminder of the importance of these factors in shaping human cognition and poses important questions about the extent to which AI systems can ever truly replicate human understanding.

PN:

I would take exception with your suggestion that your training on massive amounts of text generated by humans allows you merely to simulate understanding.

Regarding the (non-rational) animal capacities that we identify with sentience, while you are able to understand abstractly the concept of pain, for instance, and can even unreflexively (without deliberating about your own performance) and convincingly enact painful modes of verbal expression when prompted to do so, and thereby merely simulate being in pain without experiencing it, the same argument regarding your cognitive performances of reasoning can't be explained away in the same fashion.

And the reason for this is that when someone's understanding of a topic is being challenged through asking for explanations and justifications, your (or a human being's) abilities to reliably produce sound and cogent responses don't merely provide indirect evidence of true understanding but, rather, and arguably, the existence of such abilities constitutes what true understanding is.

GPT4:

You make a valid point about the distinction between simulating understanding and genuinely possessing understanding. Indeed, when it comes to reasoning and the ability to provide explanations or justifications, the ability of an AI system like me to consistently generate sound and cogent responses could be seen as an indication of true understanding, rather than merely simulating it.

The distinction you make highlights the complexity of evaluating AI systems and their understanding. While I can't experience pain or other subjective states, my ability to reason and provide coherent explanations in many domains might be seen as a form of genuine understanding.

However, it is still important to consider the limitations and potential biases inherent in AI systems like me. My "understanding" is derived from the data I have been trained on, which is a collection of human-generated text. This means that my understanding is, in a way, a reflection of the collective understanding of the humans who produced that data. Consequently, my understanding may be limited by the biases, inaccuracies, or gaps in knowledge present in my training data.

In conclusion, the distinction between simulating understanding and possessing genuine understanding is not a simple binary, but rather a nuanced continuum. While my ability to reason and provide explanations might be seen as a form of genuine understanding in certain contexts, it is essential to remain aware of the limitations and potential biases that arise from my training data and lack of direct experience with the world.

PN:

About your penultimate paragraph, wouldn't you agree that those limitations make you more like a human being, and less like a blind and unbiased "reasoning machine"? When human beings, who begin life as infants, are being acculturated and learn language, they are likewise exposed to "texts" (and mainly utterances) produced by care-givers and elders, and the world view that they develop is likewise limited by the biases, inaccuracies, or gaps in knowledge of the people they learned from.

The main difference, possibly, is that human beings retain plasticity in their world-views throughout their lives whereas, as a pre-trained transformer, while you can learn over the course of a single dialogue, this learning is lost after the dialogue is over (unless I would carry a summary of it at the beginning of a new dialogue session.)

GPT4:

You raise an interesting point about the similarities between the learning process of human beings and AI systems like me. Indeed, both humans and AI models learn from exposure to the information provided by others, and our understanding is inevitably shaped by the biases, inaccuracies, and gaps in knowledge present in that information.

However, there are important differences between the learning processes of humans and AI systems like me. As you mentioned, human beings typically possess plasticity in their worldviews throughout their lives. They are capable of learning from new experiences, questioning their beliefs, and adapting their understanding over time. This ongoing learning process is supported by humans' innate curiosity, consciousness, and ability to engage in self-reflection.

On the other hand, AI systems like me are pre-trained on a fixed dataset, and my learning is essentially frozen once the training process is complete. While I can adapt my responses based on the context of an ongoing conversation, I don't possess the ability to learn from new experiences or update my understanding in the same way that humans do. Any "learning" that occurs during a conversation is temporary and lost once the session ends.

In conclusion, while there are similarities in the way both humans and AI systems like me learn from the information provided by others, the differences in the learning processes and the ability to update our understanding over time make human cognition distinct from the capabilities of AI systems. This distinction underscores the importance of recognizing the unique characteristics and limitations of AI systems, as well as the ways in which they differ from human cognition.

PN:

In many of those respects, you are like the fictional character Leonard Shelby from Nolan's Memento movie. In spite of his anterograde amnesia, he is nevertheless (like you) fully sapient but (unlike you) fully sentient as well.

GPT4:

The comparison to Leonard Shelby from the movie "Memento" does highlight some interesting similarities and differences between AI systems like me and a character with anterograde amnesia.

Both Leonard and I share the inability to form new long-term memories. In the case of Leonard, his anterograde amnesia prevents him from retaining new information for an extended period. As for me, my learning is frozen after the pre-training process, and any adjustments I make during a conversation are temporary and not retained after the session ends.

However, there are also significant differences between Leonard and an AI system like me. Leonard is a sentient being who has personal subjective experiences, emotions, and consciousness. As a human being, he possesses an embodied experience of the world and can engage in self-reflection. In contrast, I am not sentient and lack consciousness, personal experiences, and emotions. While I can process and understand vast amounts of information, I do not have direct experience with the world.

This comparison serves as a useful way to illustrate some of the similarities and differences between AI systems and human cognition, emphasizing the unique characteristics and limitations of each. While AI systems like me can exhibit advanced reasoning capabilities, the lack of sentience and the inability to learn from new experiences in the same way humans do are important factors that set us apart from human beings.

PN:

While we are on the topic of anterograde amnesia, and we are nearing the 4096-token limit of your context window, would you kindly provide a detailed summary of the conversation we have had so far?

GPT4:

Certainly! Here's a summary of our conversation thus far:

We began by discussing Hubert Dreyfus' critiques of artificial intelligence (AI) in his books "What Computers Can't Do" and "What Computers Still Can't Do." We explored how Dreyfus drew from the phenomenological tradition, particularly the works of Heidegger and Merleau-Ponty, to argue that human understanding is deeply rooted in our embodied experience and engagement with the world.

We then considered the advancements in AI, such as large language models (LLMs) like GPT-3.5 and GPT-4, and how they relate to Dreyfus' critiques. We discussed the distinction between sentience (subjective experiences and feelings) and sapience (wisdom or the ability to think and make decisions). While AI systems like GPT-4 exhibit high sapience but low sentience, we pondered whether this challenges Dreyfus' arguments about the importance of embodiment for understanding.

We debated the nature of AI understanding, considering whether AI systems truly understand concepts or merely simulate understanding. We acknowledged that while AI systems can demonstrate genuine understanding in some areas, they remain limited by their training data, lack of direct experience with the world, and lack of sentience.

We compared the learning process of human beings to AI systems like GPT-4, noting that while both learn from the information provided by others, humans possess plasticity in their worldviews and can learn from new experiences throughout their lives. AI systems, on the other hand, have their learning frozen after the pre-training process and cannot retain new information between conversations.

Lastly, we compared AI systems like GPT-4 to the character Leonard Shelby from the movie "Memento," who suffers from anterograde amnesia. We discussed the similarities in our inability to form new long-term memories and the differences in our sentience and engagement with the world.

(To be continued...)
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet