• Michael
    I don't think the viewpoints are biased at all. I think it's just that the facts reflect badly on Trump and his campaign.
  • Michael
    Although could you clarify which occasions you mean? As far as I can remember, I've only commented on Trump trying to have Mueller fired and the Trump Tower meeting with the Russian lawyer. In each occasion I sourced my view with the opinions of legal experts.
  • Michael
    The notorious Nunes Memo is clearly a stich-up, intended to muddy the waters, dim the lights, and cast suspicion on the FBI and Justice.Wayfarer

Yes, it's pretty nonsense. Page had been the subject of a FISA warrant since 2013, and this latest renewal was after he'd left the Trump campaign, so it doesn't make sense to accuse the FBI or the Obama administration of trying to target Trump.

It also misleadingly stated that Comey referred to the dossier as "salacious and unverified", although the transcripts (or was it a live showing?) of his testimony showed that he was only talking about specific parts (the prostitutes in the hotel room), and he refused to comment on other parts (e.g. the parts about Page himself). And although it's true that they didn't mention that the DNC funded the dossier, they did mention that it was politically motivated, and so the court was aware that the source wasn't a neutral party.

It then finishes by noting that it was actually intelligence on Papadopoulos (from the Australian government, I believe) that kicked off the investigation, not the dossier.
  • tim wood
    No, my position is that Trump is our God Emperor and the saviour of the human race.gurugeorge
    My view of Trump is on page six of this thread. I have been told (Moby Dick) that in a feeding frenzy some sharks will bend around and take a bite out of themselves, a peculiar and disgusting form of self-destruction. Your irony savors of the same. It is your own good sense wherein you have sunk and twist your blade.

I doubt Trump is quite the criminal he's painted. I am quite sure he is an awful, evil, imitation of a distorted image of a man. But here is a question the answer to which must be of interest: who is writing Trump's playbook, his script? I don't doubt his native intelligence, but I don't think he rows his own boat, here. At the same time, can you imagine any man of integrity and principle, innocent, acting as Trump does? I cannot. I think he is both a liar and a pathological liar - not the same things, and a brutally toxic mix. As such and in his present position I think he is, sui generis, uniquely harmful to everything the USA stands for
  • Michael
    No, my position is that Trump is our God Emperor and the saviour of the human racegurugeorge

Some people are so strange.
  • Wayfarer
    Rep. Paul A. Gosar (R-Ariz.) said in a statement that he wanted Attorney General Jeff Sessions to seek the criminal prosecution of Rosenstein and several former Justice Department officials whom he described as “traitors to our nation.”
    -Washington Post

I believe Trump thinks that he’s entirely innocent - because he has never taken the time to understand what is being investigated. Because, in Trump’s world, everything is about him, and because he has no patience with facts, he believes that he has been falsely accused of something he never did. He won’t listen to anyone who tries to explain what the investigation is actually about because he’s so furious about the whole issue, which he firmly believes is a media and DNC conspiracy to undermine him. Meanwhile his Republican enablers only ever act to keep him happy, by telling him what he wants to hear and stroking his ego. So it’s not even that Trump is covering something up - he doesn’t even know what has to be concealed. But he’s so angry about it, and has it so wrong in his mind, that he is determined to stamp out ‘the conspiracy’. That’s what I think is going on.
  • gurugeorge
    I take my departure from the simple fact that, apart from the usual carping and sniping and legal shenanigans that rich guys in the limelight get, the man was in the public eye for decades and nobody thought he was literally Hitler.

Strangely, that only started to happen as soon as he declared his intention to run for president.

People already have the measure of him, they've had ample opportunity to spot if there's a mad, totalitarian gleam peeping out from a crack in the facade for years, and there never was - so they automatically discounted the sudden tidal wave of propaganda that descended on him as soon as he came down that escalator, as the obviously partisan hackery that it was.

Either he's the world's most consummate actor, who's bided his time for decades under public scrutiny waiting for the right time to unleash his genocidal plans, all the while presenting the image of a boorish, bombastic but essentially ok liberal guy, or he really is what it says on the tin: a patriot who's decided to do something about the appalling state of economic and moral decline of America.

At any rate, the choice between him and an evil goblin with a vagina was a no-brainer for many people. And probably the biggest cause of his win was the number of Left-leaning people who just despondently stayed at home or voted for someone else, rather than get up off their arses and vote for the evil goblin with a vagina.

He's not someone I'd invite around for tea and conversation, certainly. I have the same snobbish feel for him as most of his critics do. But I don't let that guide my judgement of his doings.
  • Akanthinos
    Strangely, that only started to happen as soon as he declared his intention to run for president.gurugeorge

That's one hell of a selective memory you have there. People have been calling the guy for what he is for decades. :-}
  • Michael
    the man was in the public eye for decades and nobody thought he was literally Hitler.gurugeorge

If people are comparing him to Hitler then it'll be because of some authoritarian tendencies he might be showing as President, which is obviously not something that would tend to come up when he's just a businessman and TV star.

As far as I'm aware, people didn't start thinking Obama is or might be the antichrist until he became President.
  • gurugeorge
    As far as I'm aware, people didn't start thinking Obama is or might be the antichrist until he became President.Michael

Ah, well that's because nobody had ever heard of him.
  • Benkei
    Test. It says "latest gurugeorge" but Michael's comment was last.
  • Pierre-Normand
    Test. It says "latest gurugeorge" but Michael's comment was last.Benkei

This seems to be happening occasionally. It looks like an 'end of page' related bug. When it occurs and I want to see the last message that was posted, I go to the profile page of the poster and look at his/her messages there.
  • Metaphysician Undercover
    If people are comparing him to Hitler then it'll be because of some authoritarian tendencies he might be showing as President, which is obviously not something that would tend to come up when he's just a businessman and TV star.Michael

You can't say that the authoritarian tendencies didn't come out in the TV show. And, I'm very sure they were quite evident to most everyone who knew him before that.
  • Benkei
    I still try not to watch him but he's fucking everywhere.
  • Michael
    It's the Truman Show, but with the audience in the dark, too.
  • Metaphysician Undercover
    I didn't watch it.Michael

Around here, you couldn't avoid hearing that authoritarian voice saying "You're fired!".
  • Agustino

Now the lies of the media are starting to come to the surface.
  • Agustino
    What lies?Michael
    You know, the so-called "Trump lies" about Obama wire-tapping him, etc.
  • Michael
    Huh? Are you saying that Obama wire-tapped Trump, that the media knew this, that the media lied about it, and that the video above shows this?
  • Michael
    Maybe stuff like the Stormy Daniels issue, but we're not sure yet what the truth is there.Agustino

Well, we know that she really was paid $130,000 by Cohen.
  • Agustino
    Huh? Are you saying that Obama wire-tapped Trump, that the media knew this, that the media lied about it, and that the video above shows this?Michael
    Yes >:)

Reveal
    Actually no, I just claim that there was a conspiracy between the FBI and Obama against Trump and his administration, and that's undeniable now.
  • Michael
    I just claim that there was a conspiracy between the FBI and Obama against Trump and his administration, and that's undeniable now.Agustino

How so? Because Obama was wary about informing members of Trump's administration that they were under investigation? I hardly count that as a conspiracy.

It's a conspiracy if they were working together to fabricate charges, but there's no evidence of that at all.
  • Michael
    YesAgustino

Was this a joke, or do you actually believe that Obama (illegally) tapped Trump's phones, as Trump's tweets claimed?
  • Agustino
    Was this a joke, or do you actually believe that Obama (illegally) tapped Trump's phones, as Trump's tweets claimed?Michael
    I don't care whether it's "legal" or not. That is irrelevant to me. Pretty much anything that someone does with the authority of the state (which makes the laws) can be portrayed as legal.

I'm not sure, but I wouldn't be surprised if Obama's administration or the FBI listened in to Trump's phones.
  • Agustino
    How so? Because Obama was wary about informing members of Trump's administration that they were under investigation? I hardly count that as a conspiracy.Michael
    Yeah, because he was conspiring into what information to share and what information to withhold from the President-elect of the United States.
  • Michael
    I don't care whether it's "legal" or not. That is irrelevant to me. Pretty much anything that someone does with the authority of the state (which makes the laws) can be portrayed as legal.

I'm not sure, but I wouldn't be surprised if Obama's administration or the FBI listened in to Trump's phones.
    Agustino

What evidence is there that Obama tapped Trump's phones whether legal or illegal? Do you just believe it because Trump tweeted it?
  • Agustino
    What evidence is there that Obama tapped Trump's phones whether legal or illegal? Do you just believe it because Trump tweeted it?Michael
    I didn't say I believe it. I said I wouldn't be surprised if it actually happened.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.