• DeSoto
    Hello everyone,
    I'm a newbie in this forum, I'm in final year of a cognitive science program and I'm looking for recommendations for accademic books and articles to read in preparation for writing my bachelors thesis as I selected an ambitious topic and I have been struggling trying to find good sources that would help me to construct argument I'm trying to make.
    The current working title is: Identity: autonomy and conflict between nature and sociaty.
    Conspect:
    Introduction
    Chapter I - The History of idea of personal identity
    Chapter II - The Biological foundations of personal identity
    Chapter III - The Sociocultural influences on personal identity
    Chapter IV - The Role of autonomy and decision making in shaping personal identity
    Conclusions
    My idea was for Chapter I to introduce the core ideas behind the more refined views I would describe in detail later - the idea of being born and already having an identity which I kinda thought to tackle chronoligicly with either plato or aristotle, the idea that our identity is shaped by enviroment aka tabula rasa and John Lock. And finaly to have existetialism and Jean Paul Sartres arguments for autonomy in relations to identity. Chapter II was intended to talk abou how genes and neurodevelopment influence personality, Chapter III to cover ideas of identity being social constructions (in general non political way) and influenced by culture and way we are raised. Chapter IV was to cover the autonomy in more detail trough choice-repetition of choice-habit-personality changed argument, and that identity is a cognitive process that continues and so that it changes and is influenced by many factors but with autonomy being the most influencial. But I genuently find myself unable to lach onto anything, I only discusted the general idea for it with advisor brieftly, as I'm post emergency appendix surgery and I hoped that I'd get some work done while spending 2 weeks at home and I didn't manage to do this. So I'm asking for reading recommendations and suggestions how to tackle this problem, what books and artickles to read to informed myself on the topics as it turned out I luck the knoledge to fins sources myself. And I need at least some staring points that could get me going.
  • Count Timothy von Icarus
    The opening parts of Axel Honneth's Freedom's Right have a pretty good overview major developments in the philosophy of freedom. He develops a typology of:

-Negative freedom from constraint
    -Reflexive freedom as freedom to control one's own actions (rational control over desire, instinct, and circumstance), as well as the development of 'authenticity' (i.e. being your real self).
    -social freedom - since we can constrict or empower each other's freedom, we need social institutions that reinforce freedom at the social level.

It's an academic book, so expensive, but if you have a university library you should be able to get it, or there is always LibGen. The parts that do the review are fairly short, the rest is interesting, but more a look at how Hegel's particular theory of freedom applies to our modern world.

Frankfurt's conception of "second order desires," is big in this area. This is our ability to "want to desire x," i.e. to have desires about our desires. Here is a decent summary.

https://philosophy.tamucc.edu/notes/frankfurts-theory

This ties into the biological side of autonomy when we think about how the prefrontal cortex and a "global workspace," might allow for a recursive examination of our own desires.

Last rec is a bit of a weird one. It's Wallace's Philosophical Mysticism in Plato and Hegel. This might be less helpful, but I do feel like Wallace explains his key points pretty early on and so you don't necessarily need to read the whole thing. Just search for the part where he considers Plato's Republic and the concept that "we prefer what is really good, not what we think is good."

Wallace gets at an important way in which self determination and autonomy has been defined in the history of philosophy. We become free by "going beyond," our current desires and beliefs because "we want what is really good, not what we currently think is good/true." It is in this "going beyond," that we transcend our current limits, and can thus "expand ourselves," in accordance with our reason and become more self-determining. And of course, for both Plato and Hegel, what is more self-determining and necessary is more "real," because it is less simply a "bundle of effects," a thing caused by that which is external to it.

Might not be relevant to you. I like it because it is a view of Platonism that is consistent with naturalism, and one which plays nice with science. Indeed, science is a prime example of such "going beyond," our current beliefs and desires.
  • Vera Mont
    I don't know what you have already read or whether this is relevant, but it's interesting:
    I Am a Strange Loop
    Hofstadter, Douglas R.
  • noAxioms
    Parfit, Personal Identity wonderfully covers the topic from a metaphysical point of view, but it seems you're looking more for sources discussing the biological origins of one's sense of identity.
  • Wayfarer
    Hi and welcome to the forum. You've picked a fascinating topic! Off the top of my head some titles that come to mind:

Shakespeare: The Invention of the Human by Howard Bloom. (I'd run that one by your thesis supervisor first.)

Also Charles Taylor, Sources of the Self; Richard Sorabji, Self; Richard Carey, Augustine's Invention of the Inner Self.
  • 180 Proof
    Chapter II - The Biological foundations of personal identityDeSoto
    Being No One by Thomas Metzinger (or his much briefer, less technical summary The Ego Tunnel).

Also, a more general (even entertaining) treatment of the topic that comes to mind is A Dialogue on Personal Identity and Immortality by John Perry.
  • unenlightened
    Have to declare an interest, in that I am in the middle of a thread on this book; nevertheless I commend to you strongly Gregory Bateson, Mind and Nature, a Necessary Unity. Herewith, a teaser:

Is there a line or sort of bag of which we can say that "inside" that line or interface is "me" and "outside" is the environment or some other person? By what right do we make these distinctions?
    It is clear (though usually ignored) that the language of any an­swer to that question is not, in the end, a language of space or time. "In­side" and "outside" are not appropriate metaphors for inclusion and exclusion when we are speaking of the self.
    The mind contains no things, no pigs, no people, no midwife toad s , or what have you , only ideas (ie, news of difference), in-forma­tion about "things" in quotes, always in quotes. Similarly, the mind contains no time and no space, only ideas of "time" and "space." It follows that the boundaries of the individual , if real at all , will be, not spatial boundaries, but something more like the sacks that represent sets in set theoretical diagrams or the bubbles that come out of the mouths of the characters in comic strips.
    My daughter, now aged ten, had her birthday last week. The tenth birthday is an important one because it represents a breakthrough into two-digit numbers. She remarked, half serious and half in jest, that she did not "feel any different. "
    The boundary between the ninth year and the tenth year was not real in the sense of being or representing a change in feeling. But one could perhaps make Venn diagrams or bubbles to classify propositions about various ages.
    In addition, I want to focus on that genus of receipt of information (or call it learning) which is learning about the "self" in a way that may result in some "change" in the "self." Especially, I will look at changes in the boundaries of the self, perhaps at the discovery that there are boundaries or perhaps no center. And so on.
    — Ch.5.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.