• Athena
    I am totally dumbfounded by everyone's failure to get what I am saying about education and democracy. Any suggestions about how to correct that problem? Like I am told I have NOT provided good explanations and I think I have provided very good explanations and the problem is their failure to understand. I think Socrates experienced this same frustration. :lol: But seriously what can be done to improve understanding?
  • L'éléphant

Can you re-state your original post?
  • Athena
    Thank you for replying. I am sincere about wanting to improve my communication skills. Tonight I listened to an explanation of Aristotle that made me aware of where my crazy ideas come from. You know, when you think your ideas are your own, but then you come across the original thought and you realize you had forgotten the book that gave you that idea? That goes with the question you asked but I want to be sure I understand you correctly.

Yes, I can think of another way to begin the discussion but I am too discouraged. It is like I am coming from Mars with such a different point of view, no one can relate to what I am saying. I am criticized for not explaining myself but I have worked hours on those explanations only to have them rejected. I don't mean anyone is arguing against what I have said. That would require having an understanding of what I said, and there is no understanding of the information I have provided. So now what?

So what is the correct form for opening a discussion and what is the best way to keep a thread on topic?
  • L'éléphant
    :blush: I know what you're referring to. I read your posts in this thread:
    Culture is critical

And there's nothing wrong with your posts. You are writing with the knowledge of the American education system. I did understand what you're trying to say. One has to understand the competitiveness in that educational system to understand your posts. The background details are needed if others are to respond on point.

Yes, I can think of another way to begin the discussion but I am too discouraged. It is like I am coming from Mars with such a different point of view, no one can relate to what I am saying. I am criticized for not explaining myself but I have worked hours on those explanations only to have them rejected. I don't mean anyone is arguing against what I have said. That would require having an understanding of what I said, and there is no understanding of the information I have provided. So now what?

So what is the correct form for opening a discussion and what is the best way to keep a thread on topic?
    Athena
    So there, I just responded to the above question.
  • Athena
    Thank you. I guess I am working on the background information now but this sure is an uphill battle because most people seem to believe what we have today is new and improved and the past has nothing to offer us. :lol: I have to laugh at myself because I feel cursed by what I have learned from old books. But if learn more philosophy and more about the proper form I can only become a better person, even if I fail to save the world for my grandchildren and their children.

And I really am thankful for your words and will enjoy contemplating the best way to work myself as I drift off to sleep. You made me realize that is doable. Perhaps I just need to be more realistic.
  • praxis
    Metaphors can help bridge gaps in understanding, I’m told.
  • jgill
    In high school in the 1950s in Atlanta I had a course in civics. Is that what you were talking about? Also world history. But emphasis was on science and math. I was a major in high school ROTC, and our Army officer in charge, a captain, was an alcoholic. Baby steps toward a Military Industrial Complex?
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.