• AmadeusD
    Suggestion: We have a TPF conference for any interested via AVL (platform isn't a big deal, imo. FT, Skype, Teams... whatever works for the most of who is interested).

I, for one, very much enjoy this move when it comes to online communities and there are plenty of contributors I would very much enjoy have a real-time discussion with. I find them much more palatable when contentious things get said, and it lends some humanity to the whole project of talking to other apes about interesting or important things.

I am happy to organise and set-up the event, if people do have any interest - bearing in mind, some will need to bite the bullet of being up and aware at an unGodly hour, i'm sure.

What say ye, Forum Goers?

Postscript: If this has been suggested and either failed, or been rejected in the past, please forgive and delete.
    1. Would you like to have The Philosophy Forum AVL conference? (15 votes)
        Yes, I would
        47%
        No, I wouldn't
        27%
        I am interested, but wouldn't participate for privacy reasons
        27%
  • Moliere
    I'm interested.

My habits are https://discord.com/ based, and I think it might be easier to facilitate with that than Teams. Teams is good for organized schedules, such as one has for work, but not so good for less-organized schedules -- such as organizing conversations across the world among some interested creatures who know this isn't their first priority (or maybe wish it werent?)

Discord, though, is good for pop-ins: we could set the conference from one time to another, some odd weekend or week-long period, and while we all have other things to take care of we could pop in and out as we are able.
  • AmadeusD
    That seems a good structure. Happy for that to be the go, if anyone else is interested! Seems perhaps not at this stage though :groan:
  • Moliere
    Half facetiousness aside, why?Outlander

Funzies. That's about it.

Which, to be fair, is a good reason to do things among us creatures.
  • Sir2u
    Would you like to have The Philosophy Forum AVL conference?AmadeusD

It might be an interesting thing to do, getting to talk to people from around the world face to face.

I think your mistake here was including the option for NO in the poll. If they are not interested why should they be allowed a say in the activities.
  • jgill
    I’m intending normal human interactionAmadeusD

But none of us looks as good as you, all spiffed up in shirt, tie and vest. Most of us look like Lionino's avatar with a little hair. :gasp:
  • AmadeusD
    I think your mistake here was including the option for NO in the poll. If they are not interested why should they be allowed a say in the activitiesSir2u

Point was more that if four people are interested, and 25 are not, perhaps 'the forum has spoken' and we must remain but abstract avatars to one another :) That said, I'm happy to just take the four and have the damn conference - if that's what you're getting at :)

But none of us looks as good as you, all spiffed up in shirt, tie and vest. Most of us look like Lionino's avatar with a little hair. :gasp:jgill

:yikes: Haha, well I appreciate that. I figured it would be a negative, having me appear pretentious and likely not that sensible haha.
    Funzies. That's about it.

Which, to be fair, is a good reason to do things among us creatures.
    Moliere

Yeah, that's about it. Funzies. Also, as someone who is definitely ADHD, and my wife suspects on the spectrum (my dad is), this type of thing is a really neat way for me to interact with like minded people without risking too much embarrassment. You all already know I'm basically stupid :lol:
  • Hanover
    I'd be in favor of it. It's always good to put names with faces.

If you set it up, try to accommodate US Eastern time so it'll be easiest for me.
  • AmadeusD
    I shall do my best! Perhaps there will another poll about what time it would be (i'd take one timezone, pick a time, list what that is in some other timezones for each option).
  • Sir2u
    Point was more that if four people are interested, and 25 are not, perhaps 'the forum has spoken' and we must remain but abstract avatars to one another :) That said, I'm happy to just take the four and have the damn conference - if that's what you're getting at :)AmadeusD

I am not sorry to say that I don't give a shit about the naysayers. If it is something that will not have any affect on them why should they waste their time trying to stop others doing it?

If they are not interested, they can either just ignore it or be polite and say no thanks.

Let us know the setup and I will see what I can do to join in.
  • AmadeusD
    Looks like it's going down. I think I'll be aiming for something like 2 weeks from now - sometime through the first week (likely weekend) in February. Let me know days in that area you are all available/would bother. I'm happy to take the hit on timezone as i'm likely the furthest away from most.

It seems Discord is the only platform which has been put forward.

Is everyone happy with that, or is there a better platform more are apt to use?
  • Moliere

If anyone has questions about how to make that work I can field them. PM or otherwise.

But if someone that voted yes has a preference for something else I'm fine with going with that and learning. (meaning Discord, as a talking app that's easy to organize around)
  • AmadeusD
    I may need a hand - I'll have a muck around this evening (its 3pm rn) and get back with whether I need your help :) I do already have Discord/an account so hopefully wont be awfully hard.
  • jgill
    ↪jgill
    Speak for your self! ^_^
    Vaskane

OK, I admit, your movie star looks are dazzling. :roll:
  • Rob J Kennedy
    I ain’t bright, what’s AVL?
  • Jamal

My guess is audio visual link. Video calls and video-conferencing, basically.
  • AmadeusD

Yep, Audio Visual Link.

I've been slack, too, so this isnt' set up but I promise I will get to it and drop the deets in here shortly. I have not forgotten!!
  • Hanover
    All you need is a Zoom link. It'll take 3 seconds to create.
  • AmadeusD
    I've been told to use Discord, thus far. I've also been working 16 hr days :P
  • Moliere
    FWIW, I'm fine with Zoom too. That'd work just fine by me.
  • AmadeusD
    Turns out i am the typical overproductive 30-something.

I WILL organise this. I'll do it by setting a meeting today NZ time, and you guys can argue over the timing.
  • AmadeusD
    Amadeus Diamond is inviting you to a scheduled Zoom meeting.

Join Zoom Meeting
    https://us04web.zoom.us/j/76697347792?pwd=T8DlpQnx38S0hSsRGHMeWPi9ckrNHc.1

Meeting ID: 766 9734 7792
    Passcode: 45Tras

Boom
  • Moliere
    Cool. I'll join in 2 weeks then when I can.
  • Hanover
    What's the date of the meeting?
  • AmadeusD
    Saturday, 23 March.

I have it set for 10am NZD which is
    5pm Friday EST
    2pm Friday WST
    9pm GMT

I hope this allows for others to join. If not, I am more than open to other times. Just wanted something solid in place that we can work with.
  • Moliere
    I'm a little late but I hopped on.
  • jgill
    What happened?
  • Moliere
    @AmadeusD confirmed w/ me that he hopped on early and left some 30 minutes in, and I joined about 30 minutes late and nothing was going on.

I'm down for a retry. The time was fine for me, but if there are other times that work internationally then I'm down for that too -- it was just a first attempt, but not the last.
  • Moliere
    A thought -- perhaps we should do a Saturday-to-Sunday timeslot rather than a Friday-to-Saturday timeslot.
  • AmadeusD
    I'm with it!

If you guys can throw out a date, I'll set another one up and hang out for longer.
  • Moliere
    From the 6th--7th ? To use your previous format:

Sunday, 06 April

I have it set for 10am NZD which is
    5pm Saturday EST
    2pm Saturday WST
    9pm GMT
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.