• Janus
    For someone who claims not to know anything, you certainly make a lot of very definite claims. Does performative contradiction not bother you?
  • Chet Hawkins
    For someone who claims not to know anything, you certainly make a lot of very definite claims. Does performative contradiction not bother you?Janus

It does. Does making a claim in the blind with no specific reference bother you?
  • Janus
    I haven't made a claim, I've made an observation.
  • Chet Hawkins
    An observation is certainly a claim, as in a recitation of the senses AS IF they are accurate.
    And missing the point is what you did there, JUST an observation, right?
    If you have specific performative contradictions you want to discuss, have the SPINE to mention them, and I will explain for your benefit.
  • Janus
    You seem very defensive. Capitalizations and implied insults so quickly delivered! An observation is not a claim, unless there is a reason to question what has been observed. I see you making claims like 'free will is fundamental to the universe' and 'philosophy is generally based on fear', and I see no reason to question the fact that I have observed you making these claims.

Are these merely your beliefs or do you have some knowledge to support them? If they are merely your personal beliefs, they may or may not be interesting, but the fact alone that you believe them does not constitute a reason why anyone else should share your belief as far as I can see.
  • Chet Hawkins
    ↪Chet Hawkins You seem very defensive. Capitalizations and implied insults so quickly delivered! An observation is not a claim, unless there is a reason to question what has been observed. I see you making claims like 'free will is fundamental to the universe' and 'philosophy is generally based on fear', and I see no reason to question the fact that I have observed you making these claims.

Are these merely your beliefs or do you have some knowledge to support them? If they are merely your personal beliefs, they may or may not be interesting, but the fact alone that you believe them does not constitute a reason why anyone else should share your belief as far as I can see.
    Janus
    Knowledge is only belief.
  • Janus
    Knowledge is only belief.Chet Hawkins

So you say. Is that something you know or something you merely believe? If the latter is the case, do you have a reasoned argument for your belief that knowledge is only belief?
  • Chet Hawkins
    So I could/should rest on that statement alone as it is incontrovertible.

But the quislings out there will want to retreat behind 'facts' and 'knowledge' delusions. So, it's best I turn my hat around and address the concepts more thoroughly.

But let's take this outside.

This is a thread on Existentialism and there is enough pseudo derail here already, and indeed, I am as much to blame as anyone. So, if you start a new thread, I'll jump in and we can go go go!
  • Janus
    So, if you start a new thread, I'll jump in and we can go go go!Chet Hawkins

Done (Click on 'Done').

I have to go outside to do some work before the rain comes, but by all means get started on presenting your argument.
145678Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.