• PoeticUniverse
    why do you claim it is unethical to state 'God is true'javi2541997

More so when they teach/preach it to others.
  • Janus
    Is it, though? What I took from it, was the sense of ‘misunderstanding the point of being alive.’ It works as a religious metaphor but also as a philosophical one.Wayfarer

I cannot think of a single philosophy that advocates the idea that there is just one point to being alive, unless you mean living itself (as opposed to being caught up in silly ideas or failing to reach one's potential, however the latter might be conceived). None of this has anything necessarily to do with religion. Religion is only necessary for those who cannot, or don't wish to, think for themselves.
  • javi2541997
    I cannot think of a single philosophy that advocates the idea that there is just one point to being alive, unless you mean living itself (as opposed to being caught up in silly ideas or failing to reach one's potential, however the latter might be conceived). None of this has anything necessarily to do with religion. Religion is only necessary for those who cannot, or don't wish to, think for themselves.Janus

Is it? Is there a possibility to think for ourselves? Or are we influenced by external ideas and dogmas? Religion is not the only system which induces people to behave in a concrete way or conduct. If I were able to think by myself, what would be the point of establishing basic principles of morality and ethics? Every of us needs to be taught to the 'right' way. It doesn't matter if it is secular, religious, philosophical, civil...
156789Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.