• Manuel
    I am surprised no one has started a thread on this, but I just discovered it too to be fair. Daniel Dennett, an extremely influential and polarizing philosopher died on April 19 at the age of 82.

While I must say I disagreed with him on most things, I cannot deny his influence and eagerness to communicate scientific concepts in a fun, interesting fashion.

And it is always good to look for good opponents in philosophy, it keeps one sharp.

In any case, RIP to one of the bigger figures in philosophy of modern times. He will be missed.
  • Wayfarer
    The Illusionist, David Bentley Hart

The God Genome, Leon Wieseltier.
  • Banno
    Nothing to do with Dennett's "Quining Qualia"

A hundred pages. Not bad.

Thanks, Professor Dennett.
  • Mikie
    Dan Dennett. Sad to see him go.

Fellow resident of my hometown, I remember he signed every book of his that the library had, with a little note saying “To the readers of Andover…”. I always liked that.

Went to a lecture of his when I was a freshman, met him briefly in the hallway. Seemed like a kindly old man.

I liked his take on religion — felt it was a better attitude than the others of the late 2000s, like Dawkins and Hitchens.

This interview (below) with Bill Moyers always stood out to me as fairly reasonable. The rest of his thinking I never found terribly interesting.

In any case— may he rest in peace. A real loss to the philosophy community— if there is one.
  • 180 Proof
    I am surprised no one has started a thread on thisManuel
    A post from yesterday ...
    He just died. Surprised there was no mention here.

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/04/19/books/daniel-dennett-dead.html

RIP
    fishfry
  • Manuel

Ah, missed that.

Thanks for sharing.
  • Wayfarer
    From which:

According to Mr. Dennett, the human mind is no more than a brain operating as a series of algorithmic functions, akin to a computer. To believe otherwise is “profoundly naïve and anti-scientific,” he told The Times.

In his most notorious polemic, Darwin's Dangerous Idea, he compares Darwinian evolution to a 'universal acid' which dissolves the container which holds it. Insofar as this 'container' is an analogy for Western culture, isn't philosophy itself prominent amongst the subjects that are dissolved in this 'acid'?

And, if so, why is what Dennett advocating described as philosophy?

In respect of his compatibilism, he asked:

“We couldn’t live the way we do without it (i.e. the notion of free will),” he wrote in his 2017 book, “From Bacteria to Bach and Back: The Evolution of Minds.” “If — because free will is an illusion — no one is ever responsible for what they do, should we abolish yellow and red cards in soccer, the penalty box in ice hockey and all the other penalty systems in sports?”

Of course not, he answers - but only because of pragmatic necessity, not because it represents anything real. In another interview, he said:

I’m a robot, and you’re a robot, but that doesn’t make us any less dignified or wonderful or lovable or responsible for our actions. Why does our dignity depend on our being scientifically inexplicable?

The obvious answer to which is simply that science is not, in fact, all-knowing, something he could never acknowledge. He was indeed the most consistent representative of scientism to have come to public attention, and has done a great service by illustrating the impossible contradictions that it entails.
  • 180 Proof
    If you believe Daniel Dennett was "the most consistent representative of scientism" (which he wasn't), Wayf, then it's quite likely you haven't studied Dennett's work or read the philosopher Alex Rosenberg's pro-scientism work e.g. The Atheist's Guide to Reality.

https://thephilosophyforum.com/discussion/comment/898001
  • ssu
    The man himself talking about death with Richard Dawkins. Dennett gets to make some remarks too.

• Manuel

Indeed. When it came to New Atheism, he was by far the best one. Not that the others were too good, but, he was much more kind which counts.
  • ssu
    When it came to New Atheism, he was by far the best one. Not that the others were too good, but, he was much more kind which counts.Manuel
    I think it's the sheer hostility that some of these media atheists have gotten have made them very aggressive. It's not only 9/11 and what basically could be called Islamophobia.

Yet in my view New Atheism and it's Four Horsemen is much of a part media discourse drawn by well known figures that are popular in the media. Yet I think "New Atheism" is only a minor thing compared to Dennet's work.
  • Wayfarer
    I think it's the sheer hostility that some of these media atheists have gottenssu

It was a two-way street. Richard Dawkins often made a point of being deliberately insulting to shock people out of their God delusions. He and Dennett both regarded anyone religious as either pitiable fools or hostile fanatics, depending on their overall congeniality.

And speaking of congeniality, by all accounts Dennett was a very congenial guy, and an excellent lecturer. He also paid his university tuition by playing jazz piano in bars, which definitely gets my respect. But all of that was in spite of his philosophy, not because of it. That's what he describes as 'compatibilism' (a 'wretched subterfuge', according to Kant.)
  • Johnnie
    What was his "information"? If we are robots, are robots conscious according to him? Was he just a panpsychist? If he was a fictionalist, what was his account of this fiction emerging?
  • Janus
    For me, he was a significant philosophical presence, and one of the most misrepresented modern thinkers. Some of those who criticize and even despise him, and I would be surprised if there were not many others I have not encountered, openly admit to not having even read his works.
  • Wayfarer
    If we are robots, are robots conscious according to him?Johnnie

The key phrase is 'unconscious competence'. He argues that what we consider to be conscious thought actually arises from cellular and molecular processes of which we have no conscious awareness. Dennett asserts that the usual understanding of consciousness is a fallacious 'fok psychology' that interprets these processes after the fact. We believe we are autonomous agents, but our mental processes - which we mistakenly believe to have real existence - are really the outcome of the evolutionary requirements to solve specific kinds of problems that enhance our chances of survival and reproduction. That dovetails with Richard Dawkins' idea of the selfish gene. So he posits that what we experience as conscious decision-making is more about rationalizing or making sense of the outcomes of the unconscious competence of our unconscious evolutionary drives.

He says in his book Darwin's Dangerous Idea that Darwinian evolution is like a 'universal acid' that dissolves the container in which it developed, suggesting that it cannot be contained or limited to just biological sciences—it seeps into and transforms every field it touches. This idea reshapes our understanding not only of biology but also of philosophy, psychology, and even the social sciences. So in that sense it is 'supersessionist' - it supersedes, or dissolves, classical philosophy, most of which he says is merely self indulgent.
  • Pierre-Normand
    The key phrase is 'unconscious competence'. He argues that what we consider to be conscious thought actually arises from cellular and molecular processes of which we have no conscious awareness. Dennett asserts that the usual understanding of consciousness is a fallacious 'fok psychology' that interprets these processes after the fact. We believe we are autonomous agents, but our mental processes - which we mistakenly believe to have real existence - are really the outcome of the evolutionary requirements to solve specific kinds of problems that enhance our chances of survival and reproduction. That dovetails with Richard Dawkins' idea of the selfish gene. So he posits that what we experience as conscious decision-making is more about rationalizing or making sense of the outcomes of the unconscious competence of our unconscious evolutionary drives.Wayfarer

This characterises fairly well Dennett's thinking when he is in his more eliminativist mood about mental states. I had read Darwin's Dangerous Idea one year before my awakening to philosophy, when reductionistic-scientistic-physicalism was my religion. So, I had thought it was a very good book! Since then, I have also read Consciousness Explained, Kind of Minds, and a few dozens essays and book chapters including The Intentional Stance, Where Am I, and Real Patterns. I have not bothered with the religion bashing stuff.

When Dennett's attention turns on the philosophy of mind and the problem of free will (and away from evolutionism), he seldom proposes reductive explanations. He came up at some point with the distinction between explaining and explaining away. Rather than being a reductive eliminativist, he is more of a quasi-realist. (John Haugeland scolded him for this in Pattern and Being, where he suggests to Dennett that his own reflections should lead him to endorse of more robust form of non-reductive realism). In The Intentional Stance, and elsewhere, Dennett often also stresses the distinction between the sub-personal level of explanation (where a design stance may be warranted) and the personal level (where an intentional stance is warranted). The descriptions made at both levels are equally valid, according to him, even thought they serve different functions.

There would be much more to say about the bits in Dennet that I agree with, and the bits where I disagree. But I just wanted to put out a word of cautions about portraying him as a crude reductionist. Let me just make two reading recommendations (in addition to Haugeland's aforementioned paper) that are relevant to the present issues:

Jennifer Hornsby: Personal and sub‐personal; A defence of Dennett's early distinction, Philosophical Explorations, 2000

Daniel Dennett: Reflections on Sam Harris' "Free Will", Rivista Internazionale di Filosofia e Psicologia, 2017

On edit: It just occurred to my that we had a discussion on this forum about Haugeland's paper Pattern and Being eights years ago. It hadn't attracted much interest.
  • Wayfarer
    Thanks Pierre-Normand, I am always impressed by your erudition which far exceeds my own. I do indeed only see Dennett as a reductive materialist, as I encountered him in his guise as New Atheist polemicist and confrere of Richard Dawkins. I’m pleased to learn there is more to him, as this would explain why people I respect hold him in respect.
  • Pierre-Normand
    I’m pleased to learn there is more to him, as this would explain why people I respect hold him in respect.Wayfarer

:up:
  • Wayfarer
    However those views that I ascribed to him are not misrepresentations, are they? Thomas Nagel said of him
    Dennett is a materialist about the mind, but unlike many materialists he doesn’t identify mental events with physical events in the brain. Instead, he maintains that while we are nothing but complex physical systems controlled by what happens in our brains, we can’t in ordinary life understand ourselves in those terms. We operate instead with a useful fiction, namely that we are controlled by a mind full of sensations, intentions, beliefs, emotions, desires, and so on. This rough explanatory scheme enables us to understand and predict the actions of others, and to communicate with them. We treat ourselves and others as if we had these inner conscious lives. Like the rest of our natural, unscientific take on the world – colours, sounds, ordinary objects – these ideas about the mind are tools given to us by evolution, according to Dennett. Even though they don’t depict reality with scientific accuracy, they help us to function and survive, so they have been entrenched by natural selection.

In my view this is one of those philosophical positions that represent the triumph of theoretical commitment over common sense.

Fair comment, do you think?
  • Pierre-Normand
    Fair comment, do you think?Wayfarer

No, I don't think that's accurate. Dennett, like his teacher Gilbert Ryle before him, would deny that our beliefs, intentions, and the reasons why we are acting, are things that our brains (or souls) do rather than them being patterns of behavior in the life of human beings that are being disclosed through the intentional stance (and that the activity of our brains enable).

However, when we introspect and ascribe, on that basis, intentions and beliefs to ourselves, or articulate the reasons why we are acting, Dennett would also tend to say that we are thereby constructing a narrative about ourselves (with the purpose of making sense of our own behavior) and that those things that appear to reveal themselves through introspection are nothing over and above the elements of this narrative that we construct. This seems to me to be true in one respect and misguided in another.

It is true inasmuch as how we narrate our own mental lives isn't merely a matter of observing what takes place within us, as it were, but is also constitutive of those very elements. It is misguided inasmuch as Dennett sometimes fails to consider that this narration isn't merely a matter of us explaining ourselves (to ourselves) but also is a matter of us making up our own minds in a manner that is responsive to reasons. This is something that Dennett himself often acknowledges, and even stresses, especially when the topic at hand is free will and determinism, but when he attempts to relate the philosophy of mind to neuroscience, he sometimes tends to forget it and only considers the narrative aspects of consciousness as expressing the stance of a pure observer/explainer of behavior. I find this rather strange.

On edit: Here are a few useful expansions/reformulations by Claude 3 Opus
    Claude 3 Opus
    Claude 3 Opus:

Dennett's distinction between the personal and sub-personal levels of explanation is crucial. For Dennett, talk of beliefs, desires, and intentions is not simply a fiction to be eliminated in favor of neuroscientific descriptions, but a valid and indispensable framework for understanding human behavior at the level of persons. The intentional stance, in his view, picks out real patterns in the world, even if these patterns are not reducible to physical states of the brain.

At the same time, you correctly note the tension in Dennett's thought when it comes to the status of introspection and first-person narratives about our mental lives. On the one hand, Dennett often stresses the constructive, interpretive nature of these narratives, suggesting that they are not simple reports of inner states but active attempts to make sense of our behavior. This can sometimes make it sound as if he is dismissing the reality of conscious experience altogether.

Dennett also recognizes the crucial role that these narratives play in our actual reasoning, decision-making, and sense of agency. When we deliberate or make up our minds, we are not simply spinning stories after the fact, but engaging in a process that is constitutive of our mental states and responsive to reasons. In other words, our first-person perspective is not just an explainer of behavior, but a participant in shaping that behavior.

I think you're right that Dennett sometimes loses sight of this latter point. There is a risk of sliding from the valid insight that our introspective reports are fallible and constructed to the stronger claim that they are mere fictions or epiphenomena. A more balanced view, as you suggest, would recognize both the narrative, interpretive dimension of consciousness and its genuine causal and rational role in our mental lives.

Like Ryle, Dennett indeed wants to steer a course between Cartesian dualism, which reifies mental states as inner ghostly causes, and crude behaviorism, which denies the reality of the mental altogether. The intentional stance is meant to provide a third way, a framework for attributing genuine mental states on the basis of patterns of behavior and disposition. But maintaining this balance is not always easy, and Dennett sometimes veers too far in the deflationary direction.
  • Wayfarer
    Thanks! Helpful and illuminating as always.
  • flannel jesus
    I think it's a really strange thing that some peoples first inclination on hearing about the death of someone is to try to discredit them or list all the things you disagree with them about.

At some point in time, William Lane Craig is going to die - he's a well known philosopher who I couldn't disagree with more, but when he dies, I'm... probably not going to say anything in the thread titled "RIP William Craig", but if I do say something, it's certainly not going to be "let's all focus on all the things he was wrong about". Even though I think he was wrong about a lot, it's... just a weird place.

Now maybe if someone said "William Lane Craig died, the dude who was right about everything", I might say "I don't think he was right about everything", but... that's not what happened here.
  • flannel jesus
    My friend says, "My grandpa just died."

I say, "Yeah well he was a flat earther so..."
  • wonderer1
    I think it's a really strange thing that some peoples first inclination on hearing about the death of someone is to try to discredit them or list all the things you disagree with them about.flannel jesus

"Strange" isn't the word I would use, but yeah.
  • RogueAI
    He tried his best to argue a completely bonkers position.
  • Wayfarer
    I still say that philosophy itself is one of the casualties of eliminative materialism.

From the SEP entry on Michel Henry, phenomenologist:

If, for Henry, culture has always to be understood as “a culture of life”, i.e., as the cultivation of subjective powers, then it includes art without being limited to it. Cultural praxis comports what Henry designates as its “elaborate forms” (e.g., art, religion, discursive knowledge) as well as everyday forms related to the satisfaction of basic needs. Both types of forms, however, fall under the ethical category of subjective self-growth and illustrate the bond between the living and absolute life. The inversion of culture in “barbarism” means that within a particular socio-historical context the need for subjective self-growth is no longer adequately met, and the tendency toward an occultation (i.e. obscuration) of the bond between the living and absolute life is reinforced. According to Henry, who echoes Husserl’s analysis in Crisis, such an inversion takes place in contemporary culture, the dominating feature of which is the triumph of Galilean science and its technological developments.

Insofar as it relies on objectification, the “Galilean principle” is directly opposed to Henry’s philosophy of immanent affectivity. For Henry, science, including modern Galilean science, nonetheless remains a highly elaborated form of culture. Although “the joy of knowing is not always as innocent as it seems”, the line separating culture from “barbarism” is crossed when science is transformed into scientist ideology, i.e., when the Galilean principle is made into an ontological claim according to which ultimate reality is given only through the objectively measurable and quantifiable.

Dennett crossed that line.
  • fdrake
    eliminative materialism.Wayfarer

Dennett's not an eliminativist though. He's a critic of it.

One perspective (Dennett, 1987) is that propositional attitudes are actually dispositional states that we use to adopt a certain heuristic stance toward rational agents. According to this view, our talk about mental states should be interpreted as talk about abstracta that, although real, are not candidates for straightforward reduction or elimination as the result of cognitive science research. Moreover, since beliefs and other mental states are used for so many things besides the explanation of human behavior, it is far from clear that our explanatory theories about inner workings of the mind/brain have much relevance for their actual status.

From SEP. He isn't even an eliminativist toward "experience". Just thinks it's thought of badly.
  • Tom Storm
    A lot of folk seem to dislike Dennett's ideas - especially those with romantic, spiritual or religious inclinations. Do you think he is generally strawmanned as the dude who says consciousness is an 'illusion'?

Anyone know of an interview where he addresses this and restates his position? I recall reading one wherein he said something like consciousness is not exactly an illusion, it just isn't what we think it is.

I recall reading passages by Dennett and thinking, yes that sounds right based on my own reflections. In my experience, I've often found my own consciousness to be rather underwhelming, comprised of fleeting impressions and fragmented moments that I stitch together with narrative to seemingly make sense of it all.
  • Pierre-Normand
    I recall reading passages by Dennett and thinking, yes that sounds right based on my own reflections. In my experience, I've often found my own consciousness to be rather underwhelming, comprised of fleeting impressions and fragmented moments that I stitch together with narrative to seemingly make sense of it all.Tom Storm

This is the essence of Dennett's multiple draft model of consciousness. I still think his critique of the pseudo-distinction between Orwellian accounts of fleeting experiences or qualia (as experienced and then forgotten) and Stalinesque accounts of them (as rewritten memories of them) is illuminating. But the main lesson to be drawn from it, it seems to me, is that the making of the unfolding narrative (about our own mental lives) is constitutive of who we are as minded agents. The making of the story is governed by rational norms. This is something that Haugeland stresses when he comments on Dennett's accounts of real patterns (in the world) and of experiential contents (features of the mind). The normative aspect points to the co-constitution of those things through (socially normed) embodied activity.

Dennett, when he goes on to describe the source of the narration, tends to go into a reductive process of homuncular decomposition that bottoms out in the description of neural processes that are explainable through the design stance alone. But that explanation, valid as it might be, is best suited for singling out the enabling causes of our rational abilities, and are irrelevant to the norms that govern our narrative constructions (the multiple drafts) at the personal level of explanation.

Again, I recommend Jennifer Hornby's paper referenced above where she charges Dennett with having forgotten some of the best insights from his own personal/sub-personal early distinction.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.