• Fermin
    Could anyone provide me with a contemporary example of Thomas Hobbes's Social Contract theory in practice?
  • Paine

Are you writing a college essay?
  • Paine

Have you read Hobbes?
  • Fermin
    Yes. I'm just trying to see what other ideas other people have.
  • Paine

What do you think about it?
    Are you reading the Leviathan or something else?
  • Fermin
    The reading is in an anthology: "The Social Contract," by Thomas Hobbes
  • Paine

Please link to the collection.
  • Paine
    One element to note is that the phrase "social contract" was coined by Rousseau. Applying that idea to what Hobbes was saying overlooks the "I won't kill you if you don't kill me" deal Hobbes was talking about.
  • Fermin
    Anthology: Exploring Ethics: An Introductory Anthology, 5th Edition

This is a shortened version of his theory: Thomas Hobbes's social contract theory proposes that individuals in a society agree to give up certain freedoms in exchange for protection and stability provided by a governing authority (a sovereign) with absolute power. This agreement, whether implicit or explicit, forms the basis of the state's legitimacy and authority over its citizens.

Again, I am just looking for a specific country that is a good example of his theory.
  • Paine
    Again, I am just looking for a specific country that is a good example of his theory.Fermin

I am not familiar with the text of this summary you refer to but Hobbes lived through the English Civil War and justified the monarchy on the basis of that experience. It was not a thought experiment for him.
  • L'éléphant
    Again, I am just looking for a specific country that is a good example of his theory.Fermin
    All countries have the social contract. It's in the name "country". Look up the definition.
    Unincorporated nations no longer exist.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet