• Truth Seeker
    HOW TO LIVE A FULFILLING LIFE

1. BE MINDFUL
    • A fulfilling life consists of purposeful, positive and pleasant participation in life.
    • Be attentive to yourself, others and your environment.
    • Don’t ruminate on the past or worry about the future.
    • Be mindful of the past so you can learn from it.
    • Be mindful of the future so you can prepare for it.
    • Be mindful of the present because living takes place in the present continuous.
    • Do not crave or cling to all that is impermanent. Be mindful and content in the present continuous.
    • Be mindful of the truth and be mindful of what is right and what is wrong.

2. BE GRATEFUL
    • Always be grateful for all that is good about your life and about the lives of other living things. Always remember that things could have been worse but are not. Be grateful that life is not worse than it is.
    • Be grateful for the present.
    • It is easier to see what’s missing than what’s in.
    • Strive to see what’s in, value it and be grateful for it.
    • Be grateful for the past and all you can learn from it to create a better future.
    • Be grateful for the opportunity to plan and prepare for the future.

3. BE OPTIMISTIC
    • You have already been mindful and grateful. Now, be optimistic that whatever happens in the future you can continue to be mindful and grateful.
    • Then, be optimistic that you can also be compassionate, constructive and balanced.

4. BE COMPASSIONATE
    • Be compassionate towards yourself.
    • Be compassionate towards other sentient beings.
    • Don’t condemn yourself.
    • Don’t condemn other sentient beings.
    • Examine and evaluate sensory perceptions, interpretations, thoughts, emotions, words, actions and omissions. But do not condemn any sentient being.
    • Value yourself and others and help yourself and others to grow.

5. BE CONSTRUCTIVE
    • The past is gone, and the future is not yet here. The time to live is right here, right now.
    • By reading these words you are already doing something positive and helpful.
    • Now, think of what else you could do to help yourself and others. It can be anything legal that helps you and others to live and to enjoy being alive. It can be as simple as sharing this method of living a fulfilling life.
    • Remember, it is better to light a candle in the dark than to complain about the darkness.

6. BE BALANCED
    • Life works best when everything is in optimum balance. Both too much and too little can be harmful.
    • There are as many paths through life as there are lives. Only you can find and live your path through life. If you can, help others find and live their paths through life.
    • Happiness comes from matching your activities with your abilities. There must be a balance between activities and rest, between doing and being.
    • Your life is your responsibility. It is your responsibility to keep yourself safe, legal and ethical.
    • Happiness is not a destination – it’s a journey that is made moment by moment.
    • We are all interdependent and impermanent. Look after your long-term interests and the long-term interests of others.
  • 180 Proof
    Or die before you learn you are – or how to be – unfulfilled.
  • Sir2u
    What always amazes me is the fact that despite so many people writing articles and even books about this topic, there are literally hundreds of them online, so many people live unhappy lives.

I would really like to see some statistics about the writes of these ideas to see if they have achieved what they preach using the ideas they tell others to use. Or whether they attain a fulfilling life off of the profit from the books.
  • Truth Seeker
    I see your point. The above tips on How to Live a Fulfilling Life is free for all so the author is not making any money from it. It's written anonymously so the author is not receiving fame for it either.
  • Tom Storm
    What always amazes me is the fact that despite so many people writing articles and even books about this topic, there are literally hundreds of them online, so many people live unhappy lives.Sir2u

Isn't this the self-help Ouroboros in action? The more unhappy people seem to be, the more the market peddles solutions.

I would really like to see some statistics about the writes of these ideas to see if they have achieved what they preach using the ideas they tell others to use.Sir2u

Well Jordan Peterson, a recent prime example, has become one of the richest, unhappy men on the planet. Not that long ago, he nearly died following a benzo addiction and a nervous breakdown. Alan Watts, an influential early self-help figure and counter culture icon tackled his sorrows with booze rather than the spiritual teachings he was famous for. I remember meeting a rather famous Buddhist teacher here who drank close to a bottle of Johnnie Walker a day and seemed untouched by his own teachings.

I suspect that those who can, do, those who can't, teach. But that doesn't mean what they teach is useless. It would be a logical fallacy to argue that someone who is flawed can't also be a conduit for wisdom.
  • Lionino
    Descriptive of most practicing psychologists out there — in my experience.
  • Sir2u
    But that doesn't mean what they teach is useless. It would be a logical fallacy to argue that someone who is flawed can't also be a conduit for wisdom.Tom Storm

It was more of a "do they practice what they preach" thought than an actual question.

The bible is a collection of life guides that was collected from many ancient cultures. A lot of the books that are sold are on a similar line. When someone digs up these books in a few thousand years, what will they think about us? Probably that we were a bunch of wild savages living on base instincts.
  • Sir2u
    :rofl: Not all, but I think that a lot of them probably fall into the category.
    I met one that explained to a group of teachers that the act of chewing gun was the equivalent of masturbation, while continually chewing her pen while listening to people talk.
  • Tom Storm
    It was more of a "do they practice what they preach" thought than an actual question.Sir2u

Ok. In that case, no they often don't.

The bible is a collection of life guides that was collected from many ancient cultures.Sir2u

I particularly appreciate the advice it provides me on how to select and treat my slaves. :wink:
  • Sir2u
    :rofl:
    I think the advice about raising kids is spot on, bigger sticks should then mean better kids.
  • Lionino
    I particularly appreciate the advice it provides me on how to select and treat my slavesTom Storm

That is in the OT, so more up Jew's alley.
  • unenlightened
    If you want to be fulfilled, you must first empty yourself, otherwise there will be much overflowing and spillage.
  • Truth Seeker
    That's wise. Thank you for sharing.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube