• Lionino
    How do we judge evidence if it's not happening consciously?RogueAI

Whether something is conscious or not is different from whether it is voluntary or not.

If that belief about the evidence does not happen voluntarily, how is it happening involuntarily?RogueAI

By mechanisms of the mind I can't afford to think about and then explain before cooking my steak for the day. You are saying that we can voluntarily choose whether a belief is good or not → we can change a belief when new evidence is available → we can voluntarily choose to believe. The problem is the first step, whether we think a piece of evidence is good or not is another belief and thus not voluntary. What is voluntary, on the other hand, is seeking arguments from one side or another of a debate and thinking more or less deeply about those arguments.

The point is that: we don't get to choose our beliefs the same way we get to choose to eat cake or pie.
  • RogueAI
    The problem is the first step, whether we think a piece of evidence is good or not is another belief and thus not voluntary.Lionino

It sounds like you're saying we make subconscious choices about evidence being good or not.
  • Relativist
    Do you think that denial can be helpful?Scarecow
    There are cases where it might be, such as if you're diagnosed with a incurable illness and have only weeks to live. Being in denial is better than being in a constant state of depression. I realize there are still healthier ways to cope, but denial might be easier for some.
  • Relativist
    Can you choose to become a cult member, or does it just sort of happen to you?RogueAI
    I imagine it happens gradually, but you are making conscious choices along the way, albeit they are naive choices strongly influenced by emotion.
12Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.