• Truth Seeker
    What are your core beliefs? My therapist asked me what my core beliefs were. I thought about it and here are my top ten core beliefs.

1. The world is full of suffering, inequality, injustice, and deaths.
    2. I hate being alive. I wish I never existed.
    3. I wish I could go back in time and prevent all suffering, inequality, injustice, and deaths but I can't.
    4. I wish I could make all living things forever happy but I can't.
    5. I wish I could make all living things all-loving, all-knowing and all-powerful but I can't.
    6. I have saved and improved many lives but nothing I do is ever enough. I never feel good enough.
    7. I am tired of my CPTSD, Bipolar Disorder and Chronic Pains.
    8. I wish I had killed myself when I was a child.
    9. We are all doomed to suffer and die.
    10. I wish nothing ever existed.
  • Lionino
    8. I wish I had killed myself when I was a child.Truth Seeker

But you are still here with us. That can only be because you see a purpose in being alive, but perhaps you don't see that you see that.

I never feel good enough.Truth Seeker

For people who are cognisant enough, it becomes clear that life is not about feeling good. This world sucks, undeniably. But that doesn't stop us from pursuing pointless things that make us feel good or make us happy despite how much suffering there is.
    I think you would benefit from reading a comic series called Berserk. It is a fun read too.
  • Truth Seeker
    Thank you for your reply and recommendation. What are your core beliefs?

The reason I haven't taken my life is that would harm my family. I have a duty of care to them. I have a duty of care to all living things. I do my best to save and improve all lives, but I can't save and improve all lives despite my best efforts. 99.9% of all the species to evolve so far on Earth are already extinct. The remaining 0.1% will also die.
  • 180 Proof
    Some "core beliefs" which I try to live by:

Do no harm as in: What we find harmful, I try not to do to anyone'.

Have courage as in: I expect the worst, prepare for the best and try to  accept whatever comes.

Trust evidence as in this motto: In Nature We  Trust.
  • Truth Seeker
    Some "core beliefs" which I try to live by:

Do no harm as in: What I find harmful, I try not to do to anyone'.

Have courage as in: I expect the best, prepare  for the worst and try to  accept whatever comes.

Trust evidence as in this motto: In Nature We Trust.
    180 Proof

I love your core beliefs. They are much more helpful than mine. I am working on replacing my core beliefs with helpful ones. Thank you for sharing.
  • Lionino
    What are your core beliefs?Truth Seeker

I would not say I have any core belief. Identity is something fluid, that changes, realising that may be the difference between being scarred for life or healing from a traumatic experience.
    Think for yourself: what am I besides my name, my appearance, my knowledge, my titles, my accomplishments, my grades, my bank account, my belongings, my relationships, my reputation, my memories, all these things that can change?
    Resting your identity on beliefs will damage your sense of self when those beliefs are challenged. If there is one thing, however, is that I am dedicated to truth and to be a spokesperson for it, while at the same time recognising that some subjects are beyond truth: culture, politics, love, friendship.

I have a duty of care to them. I have a duty of care to all living things. I do my best to save and improve all lives, but I can't save and improve all lives despite my best efforts.Truth Seeker

You put upon yourself more duties than one can accomplish in a single life, and yet death is still desirable to you. Do you not see the contradiction here?
    The more duties I realise I have upon myself, the longer I wish I would live, such that sometimes I wish I would live forever, regardless of whether that life would be pleasant or horrible.
  • Truth Seeker
    Thank you for sharing your thoughts. My primary desire is to make all organisms forever happy (including the dead ones and the never-born ones) but this is impossible for me to do. I can't do any of the things I really want to do e.g. prevent all suffering, inequality, injustice, and deaths and make all living things all-loving, all-knowing and all-powerful. I suffer constantly from chronic pains. I also suffer from CPTSD and Bipolar Disorder. If I could cure myself of all my illnesses that would be the preferred outcome, but I can't cure myself. My death would be a relief from my constant suffering. However, I am not going to self-terminate because I have a duty of care to others.
  • Truth Seeker
    Here are some new core beliefs for me:

1. Live and help live, live and love.
    2. Help all, harm none.
    3. Life is worth living despite the negative aspects.
    4. We work together to save and improve all lives.
    5. We can't change the past, but we can learn from the past and change the future for the better by making wiser choices in the present.
  • Lionino
    My primary desire is to make all organisms forever happy (including the dead ones and the never-born ones) but this is impossible for me to doTruth Seeker

Not only is it impossible to do, but perhaps it is not desirable to make everyone happy. See for example this article https://iep.utm.edu/experience-machine/ (pleasure machine)
  • Truth Seeker
    Thank you for the link. The article reminded me of laboratory experiments where mice stimulate the pleasure centres in their brains until they die. What I want to do is different from both what the article says and what the lab mice did. I want to make all living things all-loving, all-knowing and all-powerful because such beings would not harm others and would not be harmed by others. Such beings can will themselves to be forever happy. Of course, the scenario is impossible in the real world. It's nothing but wishful thinking.
  • Moses

If some group rapes and murders your own are you allowed to hit back or is it still “do no harm?” You really committed to that one? Or is it only until someone else crosses a line? I call bullshit.

Someone starts giving opinions or attitudes you don’t like “do no harm” is getting scrapped real fast. Bullshit. Like you.
  • 180 Proof
    Go troll somewhere else. You're stupid AF, kid. :yawn:
  • Benkei
    1. All religious people are idiots invariably holding beliefs that are unwarranted (eg. there's no proof for the existence of god(s)) or are contradicted by fact (flat-earthers) or think their particular assumed divine dispensation to be assholes is the only right way (leading to injustice).
  • Moses

Keep throwing the insults, hypocrite.
  • 180 Proof
    :up: :up:
    Religious people are not necessarily stupid, but most stupid people are religious. — paraphrase of J.S. Mill (re: conservatives)
    Amen. :smirk:

A link below to a thread dicussion ... for religious apologists like @BitconnectCarlos (of several decades of systematic collective punishment via mass murder, ethnic cleansing & apartheid)
    https://thephilosophyforum.com/discussion/comment/851960
  • BitconnectCarlos
    Atheists who spend considerable amounts of time or mental energy lording their atheism over theists are invariably idiots. The state of education in the US has backslide as race hustlers and DEI have made discrimination and hateful rhetoric against some ethnic groups acceptable while others have untouchable victim status.
  • 180 Proof
    The topic concerns "core beliefs" and not core delusions (e.g. pet conspiracy theories). "Brain worm" troubling you today, BC? :sweat:
  • BitconnectCarlos

Shhh "do no harm" remember?
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.