• SEP lineolata
    Are actions in general (such as buying, walking, flying etc.) considered universals? Also are the properties of these actions (such as being-hard-ness, annoying, fast, efficient, etc. )considered universals too?
  • tim wood
    Maybe genera and also species. The trick not to be confused by language's sometimes referring to different things either ambiguously or with the same word.
    Edit: An arrow flies, a bird flies, a squirrel flies, a jet plane flies. We all understand what is meant in each case, but it would be not-so-easy to make clear just exactly what the understanding of "flies" is with any reasonable rigor.
  • Philosophim
    What is the definition of a universal that you're using?
  • Count Timothy von Icarus
    I've looked into this since it seems like it would come up at the intersection of process philosophy and realism. People have certainly proposed actions as universals, but it has really not garnered much attention from what I've seen.

Part of the problem is that the universal is called on to explain "what stays the same" across various instances but then a processual universal must in some way incorporate change within itself.
  • tim wood
    but then a processual universal must....Count Timothy von Icarus
    I want to credit yours a great answer, but need a little expansion. Not sure what a processual universal might be. I can imagine the idea of a universal tree or horse - not without some problems. That is, in some sense these universals ought to be things of some kind - presumably other than just ideas, which is what I think they all are. But of running or jumping? Or, how does a process become a thing? Or if not a thing and not just an idea, then what?
  • 180 Proof
    Are actions in general (such as buying, walking, flying etc.) considered universals?SEP lineolata
    If I understand your question correctly, I suppose so sub specie aeternitatis (or from a 4-d pov) ...
  • I like sushi
    I see universals as meaning only ONE kind of thing. There are different types of 'walking' but not different types of 'the number one'.

If you cannot ask "what kind?" it is a universal.
  • John McMannis
    Are actions in general (such as buying, walking, flying etc.) considered universals?SEP lineolata

Hmm. My first thought is that no, they are particulars but that the idea of any action is a universal. But good question.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.