• Amity
    That's one reason I decided to step out of admin shoes. It's a philosophy, not an art, forum, and I don't feel I do enough philosophy on here now to justify being an admin. I remain a mod because I think I can still offer enough to the site to justify that. But we all need to recognize where we are and act accordingly.Baden

Ah, I didn't realise you were no longer Admin or involved in any potential revision of Guidelines. People do admin all the time without having any expertise in the field - thinking NHS :wink: But, yeah, other reasons...

Glad you're still a mod! and relaxing into your creative spirit :party:
  • Amity
    You guys :lol:
  • wonderer1

Thanks Amity,

I'm going to take a few days off from TPF, but I saw you had responded and I greatly appreciate it.

• Amity
    What a great find :cool: Enjoy your break! :sparkle:
  • Baden

Mods are still involved in decisions about guidelines. But only admins can create new categories or edit acoounts etc.
  • Amity

Thanks for the update and information about who can create new categories.

It would still be interesting to hear thoughts/considerations of The Philosophy of Creativity. For example, how it differs from Philosophy of Art. But I'll leave it here for now. At risk of a severe headache...

@fdrake - you're an Admin, I should have addressed questions to you.
    Sorry :yikes:
  • fdrake
    Sorry :yikes:Amity

That's ok. I agree with Jamal. The referenced post reads like a personal reflection on a poem. Which is a bit like a book review.

A couple of sentences about, say:
    1) why the structure of poems ought to engender a feeling of unbearable nostalgia
    2) or how they might do that

speculations of that flavour linked to the poem would give the OP contestable arguments about poetry and aesthetics. As it stands it could've been a review in the Currently Reading thread, and thus Lounge.

Compare: "I like vanilla ice cream, vanilla ice cream is so refreshing. The purpose of ice cream is to bring on an incredible sense of refreshment and pleasure." to "Vanilla ice cream is a sweet and refreshing flavour, which makes it the best ice cream to eat on days of rest and celebration. Like at the beach with family and friends. There seem to be analogies of food flavour profiles to expected properties of events in which they are consumed...The enjoyment of a food is this optimised when eaten in a scenario that reflects the food's properties in (specified way)."

Not that the above is as pleasing to read as @javi2541997's post.
  • Amity
    Thanks for sharing your thoughts about Javi's post. Again, I understand that it was not his aim to have obvious philosophical content. I moved on from that to looking at how other creative threads/posts might be gathered together so that they can be easily accessed. But that seems to be of little concern.

As it stands it could've been a review in the Currently Reading thread, and thus Loungefdrake
    The 'Currently Reading' thread is not in the Lounge, as I explained earlier. Jamal responded calling it an 'anomaly', giving historical reasons for it not being there.

Indeed, it seems funny to some that this and the Shoutbox are on the Main Page, despite 'philosophical content' not being their main focus or aim. I understand their attraction for the spirit of community. However, for me, it's problematic when it comes to fairness and consistent application of the rules. And differing ideas of what is philosophically valuable.

However, my questions re Philosophy of Creativity might be better posed in a separate thread, away from Feedback. A deeper discussion might be possible. However, right now I'm not up for starting or maintaining a thread.

Thank you :sparkle:
  • wonderer1
    Pleasantly surprised by this. Not what I was expecting in 'Feedback'.Amity

Yeah, I know that was a bit strange, but at the time I didn't care. Glad to hear the surprise was pleasant.
    :smile:

I was thinking that writing that down might help me get out of the mental state I was in. I can't say it worked as I was hoping it might, but you responding with Let It Be was very helpful. I can't think of any song that could have been better for me to have in mind at the time.

It reminded me of other creative writing by TPF members. And, annoyingly, I couldn't find them.
    First, you need to sign in to see the category 'The Symposium'...
    Amity

Thanks for the pointer. There is much to TPF that I haven't explored.
  • Amity
    I was thinking that writing that down might help me get out of the mental state I was in. I can't say it worked as I was hoping it might,wonderer1

Yes. It probably takes more than a single poem to work wonders on a troubled mind.
    However, it is effective. And you know that it's about more than you. There's the writer-reader relationship. I read it and felt the persisting, personal pain of the past and present...how memories can fade but yet flashbacks won't let you forget. It's mental.

[...] I see Michael in Patty's arms.
    He is near a year old.
    As Patty approaches though the crowd of strangers Jeff reaches out to take his son from his wife,
    but Michael has spotted me,
    and reaches out to be held,
    by me.

But there is so much emptiness in this space now.
    Thirty eight years,
    and I only see bits and pieces of one.
    Many of the bits are so faded,
    amidst those that seem indelible in this space.
    wonderer1

They say that time heals...
    It made me think of war-time PTSD. And the WWI soldier/poets.
    https://www.historyhit.com/culture/influential-poets-of-world-war-one/

I noted the contribution by a war-time nurse, Vera Brittain, who wrote her experiences into a poetry collection describing how little recognition the women at the front received.

This 'lack of recognition' is part of the pain. I've just listened to an audio book, 'The Women' by Kristen Hannah. It tells the story of a young nurse who served in the Vietnam War. How badly the soldiers and nurses were treated by the public - and some family - on return.

The use of drugs and alcohol - the process of recovery. I don't think such events can ever be forgotten but life moves on...it's mental. War. What is it good for...? Now, there's a question...

Thanks for the pointer. There is much to TPF that I haven't explored.wonderer1

Yes, well. The 'hidden' is sometimes worth looking for...
123Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.