• Sir2u
    Point for pondering.

What did Johnny Cash's Cadillac really look like?
  • WISDOMfromPO-MO
    A right is a justified claim.

But that does not necessarily mean that it is always a good idea to make that claim.
  • S
    How do we know whether any of these thoughts are random?
  • Mongrel
    If you can hear the bell it's probably not tolling for you.
  • CasKev
    How did those two get their heads out of their arses for long enough to find the site?
  • Cavacava
    Refutation of idealism?
  • Mongrel
    Well, or just statistically speaking.
  • Hanover
    What did you say your address was again?
  • S
    If seemingly random replies are expected, and if our thoughts are predetermined, then shoebill.
  • CasKev
    Even if things were predetermined, no one would know what events were to come, and the future would be just as exciting! Aardvark! (At least the last part was random. Or was it...?)
  • Hanover
    Except I didn't bring a gallery, so it's doubtful I'll ever find her lapel.
  • S
    Or was it...?CasKev

No, because my mention of a shoebill triggered it, and now there's a pattern, and fandango.
  • S
    Except I didn't bring a gallery, so it's doubtful I'll ever find her lapel.Hanover

My address is 32 Archers Lane. What did?
  • Sir2u
    If seemingly random replies are expected, and if our thoughts are predetermined, then shoebill.Sapientia

It's about random thoughts, not random words.

I have been wondering about this for some time.
    https://www.yahoo.com/news/science-journalist-retires-98-warns-104600883.html
  • Mongrel
    Sir2u's avatar looks like a dude sitting on a toilet.
  • CasKev
    That's where we do our best thinking!
  • Noble Dust
    Ultra-pensiveness as a way towards supplication... It's not that I would trade anything for it, it's just that she's steadily been draining the IV bag over the past few quarters, which supplies me with a steady ration of bullets to feed on. Decades-old weather forecasts have been helping. I'm waiting on a Chinese Zodiac animal change; it's black market, but it works.
  • Sir2u
    That's where we do our best thinking!CasKev

See, I knew that I could not be the only smart one around here. Well done.
  • Sir2u
    Sir2u's avatar looks like a dude sitting on a toilet.Mongrel

I will fix it when I get a chance so that the whole glory of it can be appreciated.
  • Mongrel
    Oh that's ok. The glory is implied.
  • Cynical Eye
    "To live is to suffer. To survive is to find the meaning in suffering."
    --Friedrich Nietzsche

But I think to live is to suffer. To suffer even more is to find the meaning in suffering.
  • Nils Loc
    "Particles tend to dissipate more energy when they resonate with a driving force, or move in the direction it is pushing them, and they are more likely to move in that direction than any other at any given moment." ~ By Natalie Wolchover, Quanta Magazine on January 28, 2014 (A New Physics Theory of Life)

Now bear witness to a moment of reckless, idiotic, energy-dissipating, nihilistic substitution:

People tend to dissipate more energy when they resonate with a driving force...

Daniel Dennett's carbon footprint is huge compared to mine because he dissipates more energy. Other organisms resonate with him to dissipate more energy. What luck!
  • Sir2u
    I have decided that I must be a really fantastic person.

When people see me they bow their heads and whisper "Oh my god"
  • Nils Loc
    Searching for a better telling of the parable of the two-colored hat.

It resembles the Blind Men and the Elephant.

The end of John Godfrey Saxe's poem:

"So, oft in theologic wars
    The disputants, I ween,
    Rail on in utter ignorance
    Of what each other mean;
    And prate about an Elephant
    Not one of them has seen!"
  • Cavacava
    Novalis (Georg Philipp Friedrich Freiherr von Hardenberg )

"The world must be romanticized"
  • CasKev
    I look at my stained hands, and wonder if I've done enough...
  • Nils Loc
    Novalis (latin for "new land") started the blue flower meme.

Is the Sawstika (Nazism) a kind of dark flower that grew out of the soil of German Romanticism?
  • CasKev
    I've been washed clean, and wonder if I should start again.
  • Cavacava

"The world must be romanticized"

Interesting, I didn't know about that. I was reading a book review and the author pointed to this quote. I am interested in the imagination, which seems to me to be a sort of 'work-space' where we flex (romanticize) the images of perception and memory into our flow of thought. Thinking about it in regard to another thread.

I think he was trying to say that we must imagine (romanticize) answers to questions that may have no answer.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.