• CasKev
    @Rich Just wondering how Alzheimer's fits in with your theory that memory exists beyond the brain. Wouldn't memory be much more consistent and persistent if it were attached to the soul?
  • Rich
    If the brain is reconstructing memory with a specific wave then damage to the brain caused by toxins which the brain becomes less and less capable of dealing with (e.g. foreign chemicals or drugs) will disrupt the brain's ability to correctly construct the wave. This would be analagous to damage to the TV tuning function.
  • Jake Tarragon
    In fact I do not think that the species has evolved towards any more intelligence or capability.charleton

There are other ways to improve. In fact, it is the cultural aspect of humanity that has proved to be the driver of achievement.
  • CasKev
    @Rich But why wouldn't all memories be affected equally, if they are being channeled through the brain. Memory loss is often selective, leaving certain memories totally intact. I experienced this after undergoing ECT - certain memories were completely lost, while others remained.
  • Rich
    The best that I can reply, is like a TV tuner, reception can be complete distorted (as in an advanced state of Alzheimer's or partially distorted. It doesn't have to be all or nothing. It is my understanding that holography behaves in a similar manner. I have limited holographic knowledge so I might investigate your question further. It certainly deserves further thought and investigation.
  • Janus
    John Harris is Thanatos Sand, right? Who else could sound so much like Thanatos Sand?Michael Ossipoff

No, John Harris is a quite well-known philosopher: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Harris_(bioethicist)

;)
  • Michael Ossipoff

Ok, so "Thanatos" besmirched the name of a philosopher, in addition to a Greek word. :)

By the way, the theory that he was banned is eminently plausible, given his great qualification for being banned. Maybe he somehow convinced the admins to give him another chance. If so, then he seems to have already botched his other-chance.

Michael Ossipoff
  • Janus

Maybe he was trying to emulate Socrates-as-gadfly.
  • litewave
    There is an interesting similarity between the concept of the soul that can be found in mystical/esoteric literature and quantum field theory. In mysticism there is the idea of a universal soul or an all-encompassing "sea of spirit" that can be identified with God, from which the individual souls emerge, like waves or ripples in the sea. In quantum field theory, matter is a vibrating quantum energy field that is spread out in all space and particles are localized energy excitations of this field.

The behavior of the souls may or may not include incarnation in a physical/material form. When they are in a discarnate state they are said to exist only in the spiritual world, while in an incarnate state they are said to exist in the physical world (but simultaneously also in the spiritual world because they remain projections of the "sea of spirit" in the spiritual world, although they may not be conscious of it).

This gives rise to the questions about the nature of the spiritual world and its relation to the physical world. If the spiritual "stuff" could be included in an expanded quantum field theory it seems it would be a new type (or types) of energy field and related particle. Maybe dark matter could fit the bill. It is generally assumed that dark matter, which does not interact via electromagnetic force, is a new type of fundamental field and particle. If dark matter is spiritual "stuff" then the spiritual world spatio-temporally interpenetrates the physical world (ordinary matter) but its interaction with the physical world is very limited (perhaps only to the gravitational force).

Dark energy is probably not a good candidate for spiritual "stuff" because it just seems to be repulsive gravity that accelerates rather than slows down the expansion of the universe and so it doesn't seem to have the capacity for intelligence or consciousness that are attributed to souls.

Another candidate for spiritual world might emerge in the form of additional dimensions of space that are required in string/M-theory, a candidate for the unification of quantum field theory and general relativity.
  • Rich
    In quantum field theory, matter is a vibrating quantum energy field that is spread out in all space and particles are localized energy excitations of this field.litewave

The quantum stuff (I hesitate to call if anything, though Bohm named it the Quantum Potential) leaves open the possibility that at the deepest level of the universe, there is mind/consciousness that transitions out morph's into stuff that feels substantial. This is the nexus point that philosophers might want to ponder and discuss since it can be quite significant particularly in the way we view our lives and the health of our lives.
  • John Harris
    The quantum stuff (I hesitate to call if anything, though Bohm named it the Quantum Potential) leaves open the possibility that at the deepest level of the universe, there is mind/consciousness that transitions out morph's into stuff that feels substantial.

There's no evidence backing that, but if it were true, It could also be the location of Angels, God, or demons.
  • Rich
    There's no evidence backing that, but if it were true, It could also be the location of Angels, God, or demons.John Harris

There is evidence in every day life. There is mind and it is directing movement - making choices. And memories of this creative learning process persist and affect future actions. That this is so, is everyone's everyday experience. This is life. The only question is how does memory of these actions persist, in one life and over many lives.

No one is possessed by some mysterious outside forces (so called natural laws or natural selection) that are determining their lives (an ancient superstition). They are directing and navigating their own lives and possibly the memories of one life persist over many lives, most substantially demonstrated by child prodigies and idiot savants, but similar for all people who are born with certain innate characteristics and traits.
  • Harry Hindu
    If the brain is reconstructing memory with a specific wave then damage to the brain caused by toxins which the brain becomes less and less capable of dealing with (e.g. foreign chemicals or drugs) will disrupt the brain's ability to correctly construct the wave. This would be analagous to damage to the TV tuning function.Rich
    Then I need a brain to be conscious? If I were just a soul without a brain then there would be no difference in the experience of me being physically dead in a world with no souls, and me being a soul disconnected from a brain. Can I only be aware of, or know, that I am a soul when I am connected to my body?

What is the point of a soul when that makes me (my body) a faulty copy of my self (my soul)? Why is the body necessary? Can souls exist independent of bodies and still possess knowledge and memories and a sense of self? If not, then how is that any different from non-existence?
  • John Harris
    There is evidence in every day life

There is no evidence of soul in everyday life; some people make the same claim of God or angels.

No one is possessed by some mysterious outside forces (so called natural laws or natural selection) that are determining their lives (an ancient superstition).

You don't know this, and the soul is as supernatural a concept as God or angels.
  • Rich
    Then I need a brain to be conscious?Harry Hindu

You need a brain to reveal. The mind/memory might still be there without awareness.

So, the question is what might it feel like when someone is brain-dead? This is an interesting philosophical question. For me, it is that point in that sleep state, when there is nothing. Quiet. What in Taiji is called Wuji state. And then POP!, one is awake. So memory/mind persists through the sleep state and somehow reawakens itself, only to go back into it.
  • Rich
    Can I ask how old are you?
  • John Harris
    Only if I can ask the same of you first.
  • John Harris
    How old are you?
  • Rich
    66. Haven't been to a doctor in 36 years. I practice my philosophy in a very practical manner. I don't make a computer of myself because that would not only be silly, I would have wasted my life. Instead, I practice creative arts. I add new creative things to my life every day of my life. Life is not life without life.
  • charleton
    What sort of art projects are you involved in?
  • Rich
    Dancing (Latin and Ballroom), pencil drawing, water color, piano playing, some singing, and Tai Chi.

I also played lots of sports when I was younger. Golf was there toughest. Very Zen.
  • Harry Hindu
    You need a brain to reveal. The mind/memory might still be there without awareness.

So, the question is what might it feel like when someone is brain-dead? This is an interesting philosophical question. For me, it is that point in that sleep state, when there is nothing. Quiet. What in Taiji is called Wuji state. And then POP!, one is awake. So memory/mind persists through the sleep state and somehow reawakens itself, only to go back into it.
    Rich

Then the soul can never be self-aware on it's own? The soul needs a body to be self-aware and even then we aren't even aware of our soul - we are only aware of our bodies. So much for the "after-life". It wouldn't be much of a life if you aren't aware of anything.
  • Rich
    Then the soul can never be self-aware on it's own?Harry Hindu

More of my speculation. Self-awareness without external awareness is what we might feel in a dream state. Hamlet's famous "To be or not to be" soliloquy is about this analogy of death and dreaming. It is an interesting idea to muse over.

So much for the "after-life". It wouldn't be much of a life if you aren't aware of anything.Harry Hindu

Why are you in such a hurry? Are you simply interested in making a point and winning some argument? Unfortunately, that is all that academia philosophy teaches.

As I explained, the mind does wake itself up from the sleep state. It is a period of rest. Of quiet. A place for renewal. To begin a new day. To begin a new life. When one begins a new chess game game, one does not lose memory of the prior chess game, but a new game provides a new beginning.
  • John Harris
    I don't make a computer of myself because that would not only be silly, I would have wasted my life

What do you mean by this?
  • Michael Ossipoff
    So much for the "after-life". It wouldn't be much of a life if you aren't aware of anything.Harry Hindu

At the end of lives (or at the end of this life, if you don't believe in reincarnation) you won't be aware of the world, a body, individuality, or identity. There will be no such thing as time or events, and you won't know that there ever were any of those things.

...or that there ever were such things as problems, menaces, lack, incompletion, or other such undesirable things.

"Life"? Well of course it won't literally be "life", as we know it now, as the experience of an animal.

Michael Ossipoff
  • Michael Ossipoff
    That Timelessness could be regarded as the more "natural" (in the sense of usual or ordinary) state of affairs, because of the (long duration) temporariness of our life-experience(s).

So it certainly can't be regarded as something undesirable, though nearly all of us aren't currently anywhere near ready for it (according to Hinduism and Buddhism, which are probably right about that).

Michael Ossipoff
  • charleton
    I would not consider Dancing (Latin and Ballroom),or Tai Chi, as art, though there may be artistry in the performance.
    I do sculpture
  • charleton
    Then the soul can never be self-aware on it's own?
    — Harry Hindu

More of my speculation. Self-awareness without external awareness is what we might feel in a dream state. Hamlet's famous "To be or not to be" soliloquy is about this analogy of death and dreaming. It is an interesting idea to muse over.

This is not speculation. You have not even yet established the meaning, ontology or validity of any claim for the existence of "soul".
    As far as I am concerned many people consider soul great music, I'm more on the rock side of the fence.
  • Michael Ossipoff
    As far as I am concerned many people consider soul great music, I'm more on the rock side of the fence.charleton

Soul is a diverse genre. You probably like some of it, as do I.

Likewise for Rock.

Michael Ossipoff
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.