• gunner
    Hello

Well, I read a little about being and different perceptions, etc. I know this is a very broad subject, but one thing does not give me peace:

Are things that are impossible (and possibe), contradiction and those that can not exist in any way are also beings?

Personally, I think yes, because if these things could exist then then would be a being.

Regards
  • A Christian Philosophy

Hello. I think it is a matter of defining the term 'being'. If being is defined as "a thing that exists", then a "non-existing being" is a self-contradiction. If on the other hand being is defined as "a thing that is a unity or individual", then a "non-existing being" is possible. I am leaning towards the latter definition, because I have heard other people talk about "imaginary beings" like unicorns. That said, I don't think that contradictions can be beings, like "a thing that is both a unicorn and not a unicorn".
  • Michael Ossipoff
    It's reasonable to say that any self-consistent possible world, and anything in it, exists.

Likewise mathematical theorems, abstract logical facts, etc

I think that the word "actual" (for us) is usually reserved for what's in our own physical universe.

Michael Ossipoff
  • Sir2u
    Are things that are impossiblegunner

What do you count as impossible?
  • Owen
    ~E!(the x: Fx & ~Fx).
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.