• WISDOMfromPO-MO
    I have never understood the obsession that the culture that I am part of has with the sun and warm weather.

I am sure that somebody here will offer​ some Darwinian explanation like "Our species is biologically built for living near the equator, therefore it makes sense that people in all geographic locations would not like cold weather".

Well, if we are going to be consistent, since we in the West consider our ability to harness the energy from fossil fuels to be a great achievement we ought to celebrate the part of the year that reminds us the most of such triumph. You know, the part of the year when, thanks to the H part of HVAC, we are able to live comfortably in locations like the Great Lakes.

But it seems that the only thing we appreciate the winter for is luxuries like ski resorts or thrills like extreme winter sports.

What I hear from other people is that they dread the winter because everything is "dead". Everything comes back to life again in the spring, the thinking continues.

It is depressing. I'm not talking about Seasonal Affective Disorder depressing--that is caused by the physical environment. I mean that people's attitudes about the winter are depressing.

I appreciate it this way: nature is getting a good night's sleep. It is a refreshingly quiet and peaceful time. And the landscape is awesome and humbling a lot of the time. When things are white and bright it makes the landscape feel bigger and more awesome, just like how white walls make a room bigger.

But I have noticed that the serious visual arts have not overlooked what I am talking about. Maybe aesthetics is not popular culture's strong suit.

We might all feel better in the stress and frenzy of contemporary life if more people appreciated the peace and beauty of winter.
  • _db
    I appreciate it this way: nature is getting a good night's sleep. It is a refreshingly quiet and peaceful time. And the landscape is awesome and humbling a lot of the time. When things are white and bright it makes the landscape feel bigger and more awesome, just like how white walls make a room bigger.WISDOMfromPO-MO

Yes, I agree, I enjoy it when it's winter time because it's cozy indoors yet peaceful and quiet outside (unless you're holiday shopping). I'm more melancholic but that's probably just a seasonal thing. I dislike being super energetic and enthusiastic because I always feel like a fool afterwards. Colder months make things more serious and sober.
  • T Clark
    We might all feel better in the stress and frenzy of contemporary life if more people appreciated the peace and beauty of winterWISDOMfromPO-MO

One of my favorite experiences is to walk outside when the weather is really cold - low single digits or below 0 F. The air is very dry and has a bright look and sound to it. The sound of a jet flying 30,000 feet overhead is sharp and brittle. One of the things that makes me think climate change is real is the rarity of these types of days compared to the 1970s and 1980s.
  • Thorongil
    Well said, and I agree. Winter is marvelous and probably tied with fall as my favorite season.

But I have noticed that the serious visual arts have not overlooked what I am talking about. Maybe aesthetics is not popular culture's strong suit.WISDOMfromPO-MO

Not just the visual arts, though. One of the reasons why I like black metal is that it tries to pay homage to winter and its aesthetic qualities.
  • Hanover
    One of my favorite experiences is to walk outside when the weather is really cold - low single digits or below 0 F. The air is very dry and has a bright look and sound to it. The sound of a jet flying 30,000 feet overhead is sharp and brittle. One of the things that makes me think climate change is real is the rarity of these types of days compared to the 1970s and 1980s.T Clark

The average temperature change since the 70s is less than 1 degree Fahrenheit. So now when you bake in the 1 degree winter heat, you can reminisce about the frigid 0 degree winters of your youth.
  • Baden
    I have never understood the obsession that the culture that I am part of has with the sun and warm weather.WISDOMfromPO-MO

They don't get enough of it. In the tropics they obsess about the cold and snow and other such exoticisms.
  • BC

I like Christina Rossetti's way of putting it:

In the bleak midwinter, frosty wind made moan,
    Earth stood hard as iron, water like a stone;
    Snow had fallen, snow on snow, snow on snow,
    In the bleak midwinter, long ago.

Bleak midwinter cold kills off gypsy moths, deer ticks, and other vermin, and keeps the riff raff far to the south, where they can bask in endless heat, humidity, cockroaches, and mold.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.