• The Questioning Bookworm
    The Brothers Karamazov by Fyodor Dostoevsky
  • fdrake

How's this one going?
  • Pantagruel
    H.G. Wells, Selected Short Stories.

Still wading through Habermas....
  • _db
    Male Fantasies v1 piqued my interest. Picked up a copy, fascinating read.
  • Streetlight
    Catherine Malabou - Morphing Intelligence: From IQ Measurement to Artificial Brains
    Alex Anievas and Kerem Nişancıoğlu - How The West Came to Rule: The Geopolitical Origins of Capitalism
  • _db
    Industrial Society and its Future, Ted Kaczynsky
  • Albero
    Stephen King's "The Drawing of the Three"
  • Pantagruel
    Dickens' Mystery of Edwin Drood

I have to do 5 more books by the end of the year to meet my Goodreads goal, so I'm throwing in some shorter works (although I like nothing better than to be immersed in a Dickensian epic).
  • 180 Proof
    november reading

Isonomia and The Origins of Philosophy, Kōjin Karatani :up:

John Lennon 1980: The Last Days in the Life, Kenneth Womack

re-reading

Crises of the Republic, Hannah Arendt
    • On Tyranny, Timothy Snyder

still reading

The Fascism This Time, Theo Horesh

etcetera ...
  • Pantagruel
    More Habermas, The Inclusion of the Other: Studies in Political Theory

Given the tenor of politics, especially in the states, it is interesting to note the emphasis he places on the idea of civility in rationally founded political and democratic will-formation.....Of course it applies to all rational deliberation really.
  • Maw
    Globalists: The End of Empire and the Birth of Neoliberalism by Quinn Slobodian
  • Moliere
    Through twitter i got a new pluhar translation of kant's "critique of judgment"

my old copy broke at the A side of "On the Mathematically sublime" and was falling apart.

Gonna prolly start rereading that when i get it.

Kinda makes me wonder if people who just like Kant like to give his books away?
  • Pantagruel
    Kinda makes me wonder if people who just like Kant like to give his books away?Moliere

Maybe when their heads start hurting?
  • Wayfarer
    I just downloaded a 30 hour (!) reading of the Immanuel Kant collection for nothing, by virtue of having signed up for Amazon Audiobook and cashing in my free intro offer. CPR, Metaphysics of Morals, and Critique of Practical Reason (which I’d already started as a separate volume.) Reading plan is to listen while working out. If I can get a compatible waterproof MP3 player, I can also listen while swimming laps. Improve mind and body simultaneously.
  • Streetlight
    Isonomia and The Origins of Philosophy, Kōjin Karatan180 Proof

How are you finding it? It said that it was originally written as the last part of another work, and I felt that it really reads like it. Like a side project, almost. I liked it, but it did feel a little 'light'.

CR -

Perry Anderson - Passages from Antiquity to Feudalism
    Perry Anderson - Considerations on Western Marxism
    Paulo Freire - Pedagogy of the Oppressed
  • _db
    The burning conviction that we have a holy duty towards other is often a way of attaching our drowning selves to a passing raft. What looks like giving a hand is holding on for dear life. Take away our holy duties and you leave our lives puny and meaningless. There is no doubt that in exchanging a self-centered for a selfless life we gain enormously in self-esteem. The vanity of the selfless, even those who practice utmost humility, is boundless. — Eric Hoffer, The True Believer
  • Pantagruel
    Ernst Cassirer, Language and Myth

"In this study Cassirer analyzes the non-rational thought processes that go to make up culture. He demonstrates that beneath both language & myth there lies an unconscious "grammar" of experience, whose categories & canons aren't those of logical thought. He shows that this prelogical "logic" is not merely an undeveloped state of rationality, but something basically different, & that this archaic mode of thought still has enormous Power over even our most rigorous thought, in language, poetry & myth. The author analyzes such seemingly diverse (yet related) phenomena as the metaphysics of the Bhagavat Gita, the Melanesian concept of Mana, the Naturphilosophie of Schelling, modern poetry, Ancient Egyptian religion & symbolic logic. He covers a vast range of material that is all too often neglected in studies of human thought."
  • Sapien
    Man's Search for Meaning by Viktor Frankl.
  • Sapien

Yeah. I thought so, too.
  • frank
    I come back to his wisdom over and over.
  • Sapien
    Sounds important. I'll read it more carefully then. 90 pages in.
  • Pantagruel
    Ernst Cassirer, An Essay on Man: An Introduction to a Philosophy of Human Culture
  • Count Timothy von Icarus
    Neuropath, a short thriller by R. Scott Bakker. It's about a neurologist serial killer and incorporates a lot of interesting neuroscience findings into a story about free will and meaning. Fast paced, but on a dense topic, a rare combo.

Writing is decent, nothing great. A shame because his The Darkness That Comes Before has really good writing. I like this though because it's so accessible; good book to get people thinking who normally wouldn't read anything on mind-body philosophy.
  • Pantagruel
    I just downloaded a 30 hour (!) reading of the Immanuel Kant collection for nothing, by virtue of having signed up for Amazon Audiobook and cashing in my free intro offer. CPR, Metaphysics of Morals, and Critique of Practical Reason (which I’d already started as a separate volume.) Reading plan is to listen while working out. If I can get a compatible waterproof MP3 player, I can also listen while swimming laps. Improve mind and body simultaneously.Wayfarer

:up:
    How is the audio-Kant going? I got the Critique of Pure Reason for free too and listened to the intros last night. I found it pretty decent.
  • Pantagruel
    Saussure, Course in General Linguistics
  • Wayfarer
    How is the audio-Kant going?Pantagruel

the reading of Practical Reason is done in a very strong American accent, which is a little off-putting, although the diction is clear enough. It's tough going, requires a lot of concentration to take it in.
  • Pantagruel
    the reading of Practical Reason is done in a very strong American accent, which is a little off-putting,Wayfarer

I bet.

Mine is a Kindle, so it is read by a computer-generated voice (Alexa). Oddly enough, I actually prefer this to Audible's human narrators!
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.