• Streetlight
    How are you finding this and its prequal?

--

Giovanni Arrighi - The Long Twentieth Century: Money, Power, and the Origins of our Times
  • Maw
    How are you finding this and its prequal?StreetlightX

Works of frustrating lucidity; books empowered with a forceful and cogent conceptual apparatus (i.e. historical materialism), packed with material that I find it simultaneously brilliant, yet aggravating. Aggregating in that there is clearly much more that can be told beyond the selected political and social philosophers. To your point "pop". Wish there was more meat to it. I love Jonathon Israel's work, and I agree with the thrust of it, but it's somewhat conceptually limited by prioritizing "ideas responding to ideas" while subordinating material and social explanans.
  • _db
    I got into dystopian literature at the end of 2020, which happened to include novels that I missed back in high school.

Read:
    • The Road, Cormac McCarthy
    • Lord of the Flies, William Golding
    • Animal Farm, George Orwell
    • Brave New World, Adlous Huxley
    • 1984, George Orwell
    • The Giver, Lois Lowry
    • We, Yevgeny Zamyatin

Reading:

• Fahrenheit 451, Ray Bradbury

To-read:

• The Iron Heel, Jack London
    • A Clockwork Orange, Anthony Burgess
    • The Handmaid's Tale, Margaret Atwood

Suggestions for more dystopian reading is welcomed!
  • _db
    What happened to @180 Proof's reply to me?
  • 180 Proof
    Suggestions for more dystopian reading is welcomed!darthbarracuda
    Here's eleven (kinda all over the place):

The Windup Girl, Paolo Bacigalupi
    The Drowned World, J.G. Ballard
    Parable of the Sower, Octavia Butler
    Nevet Let Me Go, Kazuo Ishiguro
    The Known World, Edward P. Jones
    The Trial, Franz Kafka
    It Can't Happen Here, Sinclair Lewis
    Station Eleven, Emily St. John Mandel
    A Canticle For Leibowitz, Walter M. Miller, Jr
    The Plot Against America, Philip Roth
    The Chrysalids, John Wyndham

edit:

The Peace War, Vernor Vinge
  • _db
    :up: Thanks!
  • Heracloitus
    The last man by Mary Shelley
  • Jack Cummins

Strangely enough, I am reading the novel, by Mary Shelley, 'The Last Man,' too and I think it a very good book.
  • Heracloitus
    yes I come back to this from time to time. In my (subjective) opinion it is one of the greatest works of fiction.
  • Pantagruel
    Nicholas Nickleby by Charles Dickens
  • Pantagruel
    Ideology and Utopia by Karl Mannheim
  • Streetlight
    Giovanni Arrighi - Adam Smith In Beijing: Lineages of the Twenty-First Century
    Nick Srnicek - Platform Capitalism
    McKenzie Wark - Capital is Dead. Is This Something Worse?
  • Deleteduserrc
    The Taoist Body - Kristofer Schipper
    Crowds and Power - Elias Canetti
    The Dispossessed - Ursula K LeGuin (so-so, making myself continue. Kind of like a left-libertarian Ayn Rand book, though the prose and characters are better, all in all.)
    Shamanism - Mircea Eliade
    Sabbaths Wendell Berry ( reading one poem each Sunday morning)
  • praxis
    Finally finished 4 3 2 1 by Paul Auster. Almost 900 pages about 4 different versions of the same characters. Great but had to take a few breaks from it and read other books.
  • 180 Proof
    :up: Canetti, Le Guin & Eliade ... It's been so long, time for me to revisit them (& their other works).
  • Deleteduserrc

I'm enjoying the mix, trying to do a chapter/section of each a day. My first time reading Crowds & Power besides a desultory flipping-through the first pages a long time ago. I like how clean and readable the prose is - it goes down really easy. Eliade's Shamanism is much denser - some technical/academic philosophy of religion discussion gluing together a shit ton of hyper-detailed anthropological case studies (much, much baggier and far-flung than The Sacred and the Profane.) Doesn't go down so easy, but it's really fascinating.
  • Photios
    Philo of Alexandria, by Maren Niehoff

A fascinating read so far.
  • rntalley

More dystopian literature:
    Anthem by Ayn Rand
    We by Yevgeny Zamyatin
    A Boy and His Dog by Harlan Ellison
    Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury
    The Lathe of Heaven by Ursula K. Le Guin
  • rntalley
    If you want to get the full flavor of the genre, there are pre-apocalyptic (trouble ahead), apocalyptic (it's here!), post-apocalytic (how we pick up the pieces and try to survive), dystopia (society works - but by a perversion of our current system of social codes), and anti-utopia (a flawed and maximally unpleasant world).
  • 180 Proof
    I had responded to whose list already includes Zamyatin & Bradbury. I prefer Le Guin's The Dispossessed or her The Left Hand of Darkness, but your other suggestions are okay (except Ayn Rand's puerile fan-fic). Anyway, thanks, and welcome to TPF.
  • Pantagruel
    The Intellectuals and the Masses by John Carey
    An overlooked item from my own library. Elitist orthodox intelligentsia as a contributing factor to the Holocaust.
  • _db
    Kant's Transcendental Idealism (1st ed), Henry Allison
  • Pantagruel
    Toward a Psychology of Being by Abraham Maslow
  • Count Timothy von Icarus
    Finally finishing William Durant's The Age of Faith, which is on the Middle Ages. Durant covers the history of the West from antiquity to the death of Napoleon in his 11 volume "Story of Civilization." Although it focuses on the "West" it covers history as far afield as Persia in detail. Even at 1,200 pages, the Middle Ages get the shortest amount of detail. Greek antiquity and the Roman Empire to Constantine each get their own book.

Fantastic prose and insight. A joy to read. It covers all topics, going into art, poetry, theology, science, trade, war , and politics.

There are great aphorisms spread throughout. On the topic of decadence and societal decay: "every civilization is born a stoic, and dies an Epicurean." On the foibles of war "ever must the fertility of woman struggle to make up for the foolishness of man and the bravery of generals." Aside from Gibbon I don't know if I've ever read such keen insight and quality prose in history, and I read a lot of history. Which is not to say the long sections on architecture don't get to be a bit much.

It's taken me forever because it got me rereading the Canterbury Tales and Beowulf.

Now I'm reading Le Morte d'Arthur. It isn't on the level of the Iliad in art, nor as enjoyable as the distinct stories of The Arabian Nights, but it has a certain appeal. It's rough around the edges, which is part of what makes it really capture the feel of the high Middle Ages. It's an irony that chivalry truly peaked at just the time that gunpowder and mercenary armies would soon make it go extinct. I don't know if I'm going to read it cover to cover, most likely not. More of a cool archetypal story collection to dip into, like the Arabian Nights and Grimm's Fairy Tales, which I also pick up from time to time. The Witcher short stories (Last Wish and Sword of Destiny) are also pretty good collections for that sort of reading. I found the actual novels underwhelming though.
  • 180 Proof
    February-March readings

The Darker the Night, the Brighter the Stars: A Neuropsychologist’s Odyssey, Paul Broks

How We Learn: Why Brains Learn Better Than Any Machine . . . for Now, Stanislas Dehaene

Skepticism and Mysticism: On Mauthner's Critique of Language by Gustav Landauer 1903, David Grunwald

New Jerusalem: The Interrogation of Baruch de Spinoza at Talmud Torah Congregation: Amsterdam, July 27, 1656, David Ives

After Capitalism (New 2nd Edition), David Scweickart

Hitler's American Model, James Q. Whitman
  • Pierre-Normand
    Matthew McManus, The Rise of Post-Modern Conservatism Neoliberalism, Post-Modern Culture, and Reactionary Politics, Palgrave MacMillan, 2020

Halfway through... Very good, so far.
  • Pierre-Normand
    Also, read last September, three excellent papers by Victoria McGeer:

Mindshaping is Inescapable, Social Injustice is not: Reflections on Haslanger’s Critical Social Theory, Australasian Philosophical Review, 3:1, 48-59, 2020

Intelligent Capacitie, Proceedings of the Aristotelian Society, Vol. cxviii, Part 3, 2018

Scaffolding agency: A proleptic account of the reactive attitudes, Eur J Philos. 2018;1–23.
  • frank
    Mindshaping is Inescapable, Social Injustice is not: Reflections on Haslanger’s Critical Social Theory, Australasian Philosophical Review, 3:1, 48-59, 2020Pierre-Normand

That looks good.
  • Streetlight
    Robert Brenner - The Economics of Global Turbulence: The Advanced Capitalist Economies from Long Boom to Long Downturn, 1945–2005

:up:
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.