• MysticMonist

You all have helped me think thru how a mystic (in a technical sense) doesn’t equal contemplative.
    Does it real mean anything to say I’m a contemplative? I think that’s the term Merton uses to describe himself. Not that I’m on par with Merton who is a monk.
    I’m not really an ascetic since I still have a house and car and all that.
  • Wayfarer
    Does it real mean anything to say I’m a contemplative?MysticMonist

This is the point of 'praxis' - in the Greek philosophy, there were two parts, 'praxis' and 'theoria' - practice and theory. But, in those days, humans were much less fixated on the external or objective so the meanings of the word has changed, but originally, this is exactly what they were about.

The reason that Soto Zen resonated with me, was the emphasis on sitting practice - shikan taza - 'just sitting'. The point was just committing to meditation practice. It is very pragmatic, and something you can do at home. (Here is my handy guide.) Also the Soto emphasis on 'everyday mind' and 'nothing special', which means, learning not to expect anything special from meditation, but to stay with it through thick and thin. That is 'praxis'.

But I too have a house and car - actually coming to think of it, two of each - and all the rest. I also really understand the torrent of ideas; I have piles of books that I've bought and borrowed and then hardly have time to read. Again is why it's necessary to learn to sit - you can actually go down beneath the verbal~discursive intellect. Do that, and you're contemplative (or yogi, in Eastern terminology.)
  • MysticMonist

I’m still chewing on the idea that the Quran is unmystical. It’s my favorite scripture though rather repetitive.
    It takes the sovereignty and primacy of God seriously. There’s no intermediaries or partners of God. It’s a streamlined monotheism that’s consistent with Monism.

Those are all things that institutionalized religious practice often looses once you add clergy and hadiths or Talmud or creeds.

I’ve thought perhaps a philosophical approach to God would work. But I find the most value in praxis side of things and I have trouble staying philosophicaly consistent.

So I’m okay with not being a mystic then.
  • Wayfarer
    Islamic mysticism is Sufism. I have read some of Idris Shah, and also an independent scholar by the name of Henry Bayman (‘The Station of No Station’), but I generally steer clear of Islamic philosophy.

hmmmm......
  • MysticMonist
    This conversation has thrown me into quite of a bit of confusion. I’m actually often confused.

My drive into work gave me some rare clarity though

It’s perfectly fine and good to be confused. None of us have any certainty. What religions and philosophies do is act like a bizzare meteorologist convention trying to predict weather trends. Some give polished, climate science based presentations. Others rant and rave about denying those presentations and bring in politics and what their grandfather used to say. Others consult the weather in 1912 and try to compare it. Others discect birds or take drugs to gain powers of an oracle. But no one knows how much snow we’ll get this winter. No one. Doesn’t mean it won’t snow, just we can’t know with certainty that it will or how much or on what days.

Luckily, we aren’t meteorologists and life isn’t a theology exam. It’s okay to say I don’t know. If I’m asked do I believe in the gospel of Jesus Christ, why can’t I say “that’s a good question. I wonder what God believes, I’ll ask when I see him”?
    When I die God won’t punish me for wanting His opinion on the matter. He might punish me for the arrogance in thinking I don’t need His input and I joined some weird cult though. I suspect He’s pretty forgiving for all our follies though.
    There’s still a good amount we can be pretty sure about though like not murdering and being respectful to your parents is a good idea. Donating food or time to the hungry seems pretty safe.

So yeah, I’m with God. I believe what he does.
  • Nils Loc
    Robert Wright just had a discussion with Sam Harris. As academics they give a sober view of enlightenment.

Is Buddhism True?: A Conversation with Robert Wright
  • Wosret

Sweet, thanks.
12Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.