• bahman
    Time is fundamental variable of any dynamical theory. This means that time cannot be an emergent property of any dynamical theory otherwise we are dealing with a contradiction. Therefore time cannot be created/emergent.
  • tom
    Time is fundamental variable of any dynamical theory. This means that time cannot be an emergent property of any dynamical theory otherwise we are dealing with a contradiction. Therefore time cannot be created/emergent.bahman

Except that view has been falsified:

https://medium.com/the-physics-arxiv-blog/quantum-experiment-shows-how-time-emerges-from-entanglement-d5d3dc850933
  • Rich
    Real time (duration) is the feeling of existence. It is heterogeneous in nature and continuous.

This differs from "scientific time" which attempts to measure the simultaneity if events (the Einstein frame of reference solution).

One can say that duration (real time) emerges from the mind as a manifestation of existence. And while it is continuous, there is a feeling of some change of this feeling when asleep.
  • Pollywalls
    askfgbaksjfgbaskjfgasnfkiuj
  • bahman

There is a gap here:
    But there is another way to do it that gives a different result. This is for an observer inside the universe to compare the evolution of the particles with the rest of the universe. In this case, the internal observer would see a change and this difference in the evolution of entangled particles compared with everything else is an important a measure of time.

This is an elegant and powerful idea. It suggests that time is an emergent phenomenon that comes about because of the nature of entanglement.
    And it exists only for observers inside the universe. Any god-like observer outside sees a static, unchanging universe, just as the Wheeler-DeWitt equations predict.
  • bahman
    Real time (duration) is the feeling of existence.Rich

Don't we exist when we are asleep and don't feel time?
  • Rich
    Don't we exist when we are asleep and don't feel time?bahman

I can be only speak for my own experiences. When I am dreaming I have no sense of duration, at least in the sense that I ordinarily feel duration when I am awake. There is a definite qualitative difference. The dream is just happening. However, when I am not dreaming.... ? Well this is not a state I can speak to because nothing is happening. I am not even sure such a state exists.

So, I go to sleep, some dreams occur, and I wake up. What happens while I am not awake? It's quite different but without the feeling of duration impossible to describe. Just images occurring.

Hamlet compared sleep to death in his soliloquy.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.