• Quentin Macilray
    Every time I read an an article on the idols (of the cave, the tribe ...) I understand it, until I close the book. Could some kindly philosophers out there please provide some real life, practical examples of each? That would help me to understand (and remember).
  • tim wood
    Try reading Bacon (the original). If you need to, take some notes. I haven't read it in years, but as I remember, he was pretty clear, and it was a short section. You just have to read it.

I sympathize with the problem of forgetting what you had just read. Realize that this is a failure in reading: you do not know how to read. I know, that sounds crazy, but reading is a complex task that can be done at various levels. Go to your library and take out Mortimer Adler's How to Read a Book. There's a lot to it, but at the very least it will open your eyes as to your responsibilities both to yourself, and to the author - and the possibilities. And this isn't a moral failure: your education failed you, but you can remedy it easily, if you will.
  • Quentin Macilray
    Thank you, politely. I'm sorry that my education is a failure.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.