• praxis

I'm not sure that manufacturing jobs are better than consulting or "toiling in restaurants." In any case, you should be presenting an argument that Trump could bring an economy out of a deep recession without a stimulus bill or the like. Would tax cuts for the rich and deregulation work?
  • Amity
    .double post.
  • Amity
    To make everything nice for the people of Greenland, perhaps the US ought to give every citizen of Greenland two million dollars (that's just a puny 114 billion $) and free tickets to Disneyland Galaxy's End (I hear it hasn't been such a success) as a gesture of welcome.

Oh how historic it would be! And everybody would be OK with it!
    ssu

Bigly.

What's new ?

Shock and Disbelief

Danes have expressed shock and disbelief over Donald Trump’s cancellation of a state visit to Denmark after its prime minister rebuffed his interest in purchasing Greenland.

The US president’s proposal at first elicited incredulity and humour from politicians in Denmark, a Nato ally, with the former premier Lars Løkke Rasmussen saying: “It must be an April Fool’s Day joke.”

Q&AWhy might Donald Trump want to buy Greenland? Show

But the mood turned to shock when Trump called off the 2-3 September visit after the Danish prime minister, Mette Frederiksen, called his idea of the US buying Greenland, an autonomous Danish territory, absurd.

“Total chaos with @realDonaldTrump and cancellation of state visit to Denmark. It has gone from a big opportunity for strengthened dialogue between allies to a diplomatic crisis,” the former foreign minister Kristian Jensen, a member of the opposition Liberal party, said on Twitter.

“Everyone should know Greenland is not for sale,” Jensen said of the world’s largest island, which has considerable mineral wealth and a US military presence at the Thule airbase under a US-Danish treaty dating to 1951.
    Reuters
  • Michael
    Reuters sounding like The Onion? Jesus.
  • S
    I am suggesting that that Trump is in office is evidence that the system can not be meaningfully reformed in so far as such things are allowed.thewonder

And that is, in itself, meaningless unless you have a better alternative system, which you do not.
  • Amity
    Reuters sounding like The Onion? Jesus.Michael

Enough to make you cry ?

Top White House economic adviser Larry Kudlow said on Fox News Sunday that the White House is looking into the possibility of buying Greenland, despite the fact that Greenland’s government recently confirmed that the island was “not for sale.” What do you think?

“Since when does the U.S. government pay for the land it takes?”

PETER WRIGHT • MONOTREME EXPERT

“If Greenland isn’t going to exploit that land to the fullest, then they don’t deserve it.”

ROSALIND KEMP • US POSTAL WORKER

“A little retail therapy is just what this nation needs to get its groove back.”

CRAIG MCPHERSON • PROSTHETIC POLISHER

https://www.theonion.com/trump-advisor-confirms-administration-looking-into-buyi-1837379687
  • NOS4A2

People thought the purchase of Alaska was stupid, too.
  • Michael
    Cancelling a state visit because the other nation won't sell part of its territory is pretty ridiculous.
  • Amity

They've changed it.

The defence and security correspondent with Denmark’s Berlingske newspaper, Kristian Mouritzen, said the first reactions wwere of shock and amazement that the question of buying Greenland had been seriously raised. “In my long life I can never recall a friendly nation making a meeting dependent on a willingness to sell part of your territory. It’s like trying to buy Scotland. It’s out of the question.”Shaun Walker
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/aug/21/trump-state-visit-cancellation-over-greenland-shocks-danes

'Like trying to buy Scotland'.
    He's already got a chunk of it :worry:
  • NOS4A2

It was over the comments, not the refusal to sell. The Danish PM never even heard his proposition.
  • Michael
    It was over the comments, not the refusal to sell. The Danish PM never even heard his proposition.NOS4A2

Cancelling a state visit because a foreign Prime Minister believes the proposition of someone wanting to buy part of his country's territory to be a joke because it's absurd is pretty ridiculous.
  • NOS4A2

It isn’t, actually, because she was overreacting to media reports, not the president’s proposition. She preemptively and publicly made comments, expressed outrage, before the president even arrived.
  • Amity

From the same article:

"Villy Søvndal, a former foreign minister, said the decision “confirms that Donald Trump is a narcissistic fool”.

The US president had been due to visit Denmark in early September but announced on Twitter late on Tuesday night that there was no longer any point in the visit. “Based on Prime Minister Mette Frederiksen’s comments, that she would have no interest in discussing the purchase of Greenland, I will be postponing our meeting scheduled in two weeks for another time,” Trump wrote. The White House later confirmed the visit had been called off.

Søvndal told the Danish newspaper Berlingske that Trump’s decision showed he was unaware of the basic rules of diplomacy. “If he had been a clown in a circus, you could probably say that there is considerable entertainment value. The problem is that he is the president of the most powerful nation in the world,” he said."

Trump is a narcissistic fool. At the very least.
    Most people see that.
  • NOS4A2

They mock and and chide Trump based on media reports before even meeting with him, but it is Trump who is unaware of the basic rules of diplomacy. It sounds like the Danes don’t like getting a taste of their own medicine.
  • Michael
    It isn’t, actually, because she was overreacting to media reports, not the president’s proposition. She preemptively and publicly made comments, expressed outrage, before the president even arrived.NOS4A2

And cancelling a state visit because of that is pretty ridiculous. Like you said, she was responding to media reports, not to any official negotiation.
  • NOS4A2

Perhaps, but publicly criticizing the president before he even arrives is far more ridiculous.
  • Michael
    Perhaps, but publicly criticizing the president before he even arrives is far more ridiculous.NOS4A2

By saying what? That "Greenland is not for sale. Greenland is not Danish. Greenland belongs to Greenland. I strongly hope that this is not meant seriously" and "It’s an absurd discussion, and Kim Kielsen has of course made it clear that Greenland is not for sale. That’s where the conversation ends"? Seems a pretty reasonable response.

But Trump cancelling the visit "based on Prime Minister Mette Frederiksen’s comments, that she would have no interest in discussing the purchase of Greenland"? That's ridiculous.
  • NOS4A2

It was a response to media reports, not to Trump. No discussion occurred, so it’s absurd to say it is “an absurd discussion”. No conversation occurred, so it’s absurd to say “that’s where the conversation ends”, before it even began. Utterly ridiculous and absurd.
  • S
    Perhaps, but publicly criticizing the president before he even arrives is far more ridiculous.NOS4A2

What's ridiculous is your Donald Trump spokesperson act.
  • NOS4A2

I’ll let you know when I respect your opinion.
  • Relativist
    Denmark's PM called the proposal to by Greenland absurd. Trump's response:

"I thought that the prime minister’s statement, that it was 'absurd,' that it was 'an absurd idea,' it was nasty, I thought it was an inappropriate statement," Trump told reporters before departing the White House for a speech to a veterans group in Kentucky. "

Even if you (somehow) disagree about it being absurd, it should be no surprise that the PM would consider it so. Calling her "nasty" is yet another low in the Trump presidency.
  • S
    Calling her "nasty" is yet another low in the Trump presidency.Relativist

Yes, and extremely hypocritical.
  • Baden

So if Denmark proposed buying Florida and demanded that that be discussed in the next meeting with the President, the appropriate response of the US would be what? "Sure, let's chat about it and see what happens"? Or if Trump had tweeted "That's absurd", you'd be criticising him?
  • frank
    In your scenario Denmark's military protects Florida per treaty?
  • praxis

Next weeks attention seeking headline: “Trump wants to sell Florida to Denmark”
  • NOS4A2

So if Denmark proposed buying Florida and demanded that that be discussed in the next meeting with the President, the appropriate response of the US would be what? "Sure, let's chat about it and see what happens"? Or if Trump had tweeted "That's absurd", you'd be criticising him?

If Danish media came out and framed the argument before it was even made, and based on this, Trump publicly called the idea absurd, I would understand why the Danish PM would want to refrain from visiting.
  • S
    Or if Trump had tweeted "That's absurd", you'd be criticising him?Baden

Ha!
  • Baden
    And in the latest news, Trump claims that to Israelis he's like second coming of God and any Jew who votes against him is some kind of bad thing. Bleugh.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/trump-news-latest-jewish-antisemitism-king-of-israel-twitter-democrats-a9072951.html

I note that NOSEFART@U didn't answer that question presumably at the fear of spontaneous combustion should he dare admit to even thinking about criticising BRAINFART@U, aka D. Trump (whom I'm now channelling).
  • NOS4A2

He was actually quoting someone else.

I did answer your question, as is evident from my post above.
  • Baden

Never mind. Carry on.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.