• ssu

They could have this agreement not to um,...ah, F***, who am I kidding.

Yes.

Using hired people and bots to paint your competitor to be this filthy child molesting serial killer who kicks small pet animals works so well.
  • Deletedmemberzc
    It's unfortunate that our legislators and executives are politicians. A fundamental conflict of interest in the structure of the system, and no alternative in sight.
  • NOS4A2
    Rand Paul asking the necessary questions in the Senate.

• NOS4A2
    Trump is killing the State of the Union address. Looks like we’re going to Mars, boys.

• Relativist
    Trump is killing the State of the Union address.NOS4A2
    I'm surprised you'd even watch, since you don't care what he says. Perhaps you're turning over a new leaf, in which case you should be interested in fact checking his show, and his presidency.
  • Deletedmemberzc
    Trump's State of the Union 2020 Fact Check

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/politics/ap-fact-check-trumps-claims-in-his-state-of-union-address

MANUFACTURING
    TRUMP: “We are restoring our nation’s manufacturing might, even though predictions were that this could never be done. After losing 60,000 factories under the previous two administrations, America has now gained 12,000 new factories under my administration.”

THE FACTS: Not quite.

Manufacturing has slumped in the past year, after having advanced in the prior two years. The president’s tariffs regime and slower growth worldwide hurt the sector in ways that suggest that Trump’s policies robbed it of some of its previous strength.

Factory output fell 1.3% over the past 12 months, according to the Federal Reserve. Manufacturing job gains went from more than 260,000 at the end of 2018 to a paltry 46,000 for the 12 months ended in December, according to the Labor Department. Manufacturers lost jobs last year in Michigan, Ohio, Pennsylvania and Wisconsin — the older industrial states where Trump had promised a renaissance.

JOBS and ECONOMY
    TRUMP: “In eight years under the last administration, over 300,000 working-age people dropped out of the workforce. In just three years of my Administration, 3.5 million working-age people have joined the workforce.”

THE FACTS: Trump is being misleading with numbers to tarnish his predecessor’s record. It’s not clear what he means by “working-age.” But the total size of the U.S. labor force shows that the president is just wrong.

During the eight years of Barack Obama’s presidency, the labor force rose by 5.06 million, according to the Labor Department. The improvement reflected a rebounding economy from the Great Recession and population growth.

As the unemployment rate has fallen, more people are finding it attractive to work and joining the labor force. This has enabled the labor force to climb by an impressive 4.86 million in just three years under Trump.

___

TRUMP: “From the instant I took office, I moved rapidly to revive the U.S. economy — slashing a record number of job killing-regulations, enacting historic and record-setting tax cuts, and fighting for fair and reciprocal trade agreements.

THE FACTS: The U.S. economy indeed is healthy, but it’s had plenty of hiccups during the Trump administration.

Trump never quite managed to achieve the liftoff he promised during the 2016 election. Instead, gains have largely followed along the same lines of an expansion that started more than a decade ago under Obama.

Total economic growth last year was 2.3%. That is roughly in line with the average gains achieved after the Great Recession — and a far cry from growth of as much 3%, 4% or more that Trump told voters he could deliver.

The tax cuts did temporarily boost growth in 2018 as deficit spending increased. But the administration claimed its tax plan would increase business investment in way that could fuel lasting growth. For the past three quarters, business investment has instead declined.

It’s too soon to judge the impact of the updated trade agreement with Mexico and Canada as well as the pact with China. But Trump premised his economic policy on wiping out the trade gap. Instead, the trade deficit has worsened under Trump.

OIL AND GAS
    TRUMP: “Thanks to our bold regulatory reduction campaign, the United States has become the number one producer of oil and natural gas, anywhere in the world, by far.”

THE FACTS: Trump is taking credit for a U.S. oil and gas production boom that started under Obama. The U.S. Energy Information Administration says the U.S. has been the world’s top natural gas producer since 2009, top petroleum hydrocarbon producer since 2013, and top crude oil producer since 2018.

That’s owing to a U.S. shale boom that has driven production up since 2011, not to deregulation or any other new effort by the Trump administration.

HEALTH CARE
    TRUMP: “We will always protect patients with preexisting conditions.”

THE FACTS: That’s a promise, not a guarantee.

The Trump administration is backing a lawsuit by conservative-led states that would overturn the entire Affordable Care Act, including its guarantees that people cannot be turned down or charged more for health insurance because of preexisting medical problems.

Trump and congressional Republicans have vowed they will protect people with preexisting conditions, but they have not specified how they would do that.

Estimates of how many people could potentially be affected if “Obamacare’s” protections for preexisting conditions are eliminated range from about 54 million working-age adults, in a study last year from the Kaiser Family Foundation, to as many as 133 million people in a 2017 government study that also included children.
  • NOS4A2

I'm surprised you'd even watch, since you don't care what he says. Perhaps you're turning over a new leaf, in which case you should be interested in fact checking his show, and his presidency.

Imagine going through life running to a fact-check site to let some journalist tell you what to think. You’d have to have some neurosis for that.

I watch for the spectacle. I really enjoyed when he promoted the Tuskegee airmain to general, or when the soldier surprised his wife and kids after a long tour, for instance. I also liked watching nervous Nancy get the snub. Quite a sight.
  • Michael
    Imagine going through life running to a fact-check site to let some journalist tell you what to think. You’d have to have some neurosis for that.NOS4A2

This makes no sense. If someone claims to have done something I might not want to just take them at their word – and I can't just clairvoyantly assess the truth of their claim – and so instead I look to see if anyone who has (more) knowledge of the matter can confirm or deny their claims.
  • NOS4A2

This makes no sense. If someone claims to have done something I might not want to just take them at their word – and I can't just clairvoyantly assess the truth of their claim; instead I look to see if anyone who has (more) knowledge of the matter can confirm or deny their claims.

One can easily go look at the data himself. One reason one might want to go to a journalist is to have his biases confirmed.
  • Michael
    One can easily go look at the data himself. One reason one might want to go to a journalist is to have his biases confirmed.NOS4A2

There's a lot of things to cover. Finding the raw data for each claim could take a long time – if indeed it's something that can be found with Google (or that I know how to find with Google). It's perfectly rational to refer to someone else who's done the heavy lifting to save me time.

It's much easier to ask my science teacher about some science question than to search through academic journals.
  • 3017amen

Yep, don't forget to add that all administration's either benefit or suffer from the previous administration's economic policies, etc.. Much like the sports metaphor, the new coach inherits a winning or losing team.

So in the case of the economy, Trump lucked-out with an already growing economy... . He'll take credit by his version of fake news to feed his huge narcissistic ego.

After all, he said he was the king of debt, and has filed bankruptcy at least twice...I worry he's gonna explode the deficit and cause another George Bush Jr. crash.
  • NOS4A2

There's a lot of things to cover. Finding the raw data for each claim could take a long time – if indeed it's something that can be found with Google (or that I know how to find with Google). It's perfectly rational to refer to someone else who's done the heavy lifting to save me time.

It's much easier to ask my science teacher about some science question than to search through academic journals.

I’d understand asking a journalist questions about journalism, sure. But running to them for fact-checks has become the sine qua non for anti-Trumpism. It’s the get-out-of-thinking free card.
  • 3017amen

I'm afraid it's the opposite. He can't be trusted and so we are all having to fact-check the dude.
  • Michael
    I’d understand asking a journalist questions about journalism, sure. But running to them for fact-checks has become the sine qua non for anti-Trumpism. It’s the get-out-of-thinking free card.NOS4A2

People ask journalists about current affairs, including what politicians and the government are doing. That's their job; to report the news. It isn't to teach journalism.
  • Deletedmemberzc
    One can easily go look at the data himself.NOS4A2

I'm interested to know where you get your "data" on current events if not from a journalist.
  • Relativist
    Imagine going through life running to a fact-check site to let some journalist tell you what to think.NOS4A2
    I prefer to know the truth, and there's no better way than to see what both sides have to say. During Obama's presidency, I'd often listen to Hannity, Limbaugh, and even Levin. I wouldn't accept what they say verbatim, but they occasionally had a valid criticism. (I realize this isn't quite the same thing, since none of these guys are journalists).

You seem content to accept whatever Trump says, which seems pretty crazy to me.
  • praxis
    I also liked watching nervous Nancy get the snub. Quite a sight.NOS4A2

Nervous? Is that what they call open displays of defiance in the Trump hivemind?

EP_TkUxUUAADubR?format=jpg&name=small
  • NOS4A2

You seem content to accept whatever Trump says, which seems pretty crazy to me.

I love the political theater of it. This is history. It’s enjoyable to me. I simply do not watch presidents or politicians for facts and data and technocratic piffle. I can go find that on my own. I find no offense in hyperbole, or gaffes, or misstatements because humans are not infallible angels. Washington is Hollywood for ugly people and I’m watching for the spectacle.

I thought it was a great speech and it was a huge political win for Trump. To watch Pelosi tear up the speech afterword was amazing.
  • NOS4A2

Hah. Is that what they are spinning it as?

7oRF9du.gif
  • praxis
    Is that what they are spinning it as?NOS4A2

The hivemind characterizes it as a "tantrum."
  • Deletedmemberzc
    I thought it was a great speech...NOS4A2

Because - as an accomplished liar - you have an affinity for the art of the lie.
  • Baden

She probably should have shoved it up his ass. Although she would have needed to remove an army of sycophants to make space for it. :lol:
  • praxis
    :rofl:

Funny how when Trump does some like that it's just "Trump being Trump," tearing down the shackles of political correctness or whatever, but when anyone else does it it's a pearl-clutching disgrace!
  • NOS4A2

The hivemind characterizes it as a "tantrum."

It was hysterical, whatever it was. It proves to me the saltiness and hatred of the anti-Trump faction. I hate to accuse others of being “triggered”, but Pelosi’s very public display was the epitome of it. Now the only platform the DNC has is Anti-Trumpism, which is little more than hatred and paranoia. When Trump continues to win and keeps dunking on them they’ll have nothing left.
  • praxis
    It was hystericalNOS4A2

I thought it was funny too.

Speaking of high emotions, Mitt chooses to honor his oath of impartial justice. It does my heart good.

• Baden

Trump is triggered, hateful, and hysterical every single day and you love it so much you've made the interior of his colon your permanent home. So, it's a puzzle why you would criticize Pelosi. Though actually not since your criticism is just more of the same partisan garbage you've been filling this thread with since you got here. (And I don't even like Pelosi btw).
  • Wayfarer
    Two cheers for Mitt. :clap: :clap: on a day of national disgrace in America.
  • 3017amen

Yep Mitt was very inspirational and has certainly gained my respect (and other's) for his courage.

Dumpertrumper's narcissism will cause incessant criticism of Mitt, to the extent it will only serve as confirming evidence of his abusive personal interest.
  • Wayfarer
    [Trump] will see this as absolute vindication for everything he has done and how he has done it,” Ryan Crocker, a six-time U.S. ambassador who served under Republican and Democratic presidents, told me. Invoking an old dictum along the lines of “If you strike at the king, it’s best not to miss".

Atlantic Monthly

Arguably, what we've just witnessed was not an impeachment, but the coronation of the Caeser, above all law and all accounting. (But of course, all of this is just hysterical fear mongering, according to our resident disinformation agent.)_
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.