• praxis

I was pointing out how you’re misrepresenting your past behavior, and the purpose behind the behavior, and not that you’re necessarily “wrong” about anything.

What does my prolific gossiping via pm about you have anything to do with this?
  • NOS4A2

I was pointing out how you’re misrepresenting your past behavior

I said I don’t use the term TDS. So now I get to watch lie again.
  • praxis

Should I do a search for “anti-trump hysteria”?
  • NOS4A2

I’m not sure why you would. TDS stands for Trump Derangement Syndrome.
  • DingoJones

What do you call pro trump people who have a similar “derangement”, who just aren't thinking clearly on the topic?
  • NOS4A2

Do you have any particular group or example?
  • praxis
    — praxis

I’m not sure why you would. TDS stands for Trump Derangement Syndrome.
    NOS4A2

• NOS4A2

You accuse me of misrepresenting myself at the same time you search through my post history for instances of me using a different phrase entirely.
  • DingoJones

Not in particular. Shouldnt be necessary unless someone wants to claim such a thing doesn't exist. It would be a spectrum of course, with varying degrees just like with the anti-Trump crowd.
  • Baden

Maybe someone who joins a philosophy forum to write thousands of posts in support of their political hero within a few months. Some of us have criticized Trump, but none of his critics here come even remotely close to that level of religious fervour.
  • NOS4A2

Not in particular. Shouldnt be necessary unless someone wants to claim such a thing doesn't exist. It would be a spectrum of course, with varying degrees just like with the anti-Trump crowd.

That's certainly true. I suspect there are plenty conspiracy-theory, "Q" types who see Trump as the second coming of Christ.
  • NOS4A2

Maybe someone who joins a philosophy forum to write thousands of posts in support of their political hero within a few months. Some of us have criticized Trump, but none of his critics here come even remotely close to that level of religious fervour.

Could have fooled me.
  • DingoJones

Sure, Ive also heard people say things like Trump doesnt lie, that he’s a good christian etc, or even just case by case you can tell with some people that the facts are just not as important as the teams or narrative. I was just curious if you also had a name like anti-trump hysteria (or whatever) for pro Trump side. It appears you do not. Pro-Trump hysteria I guess?
    Ive been using TDS to describe it on both sides, but apparently thats a trigger word for some. To avoid confusion, im leaning towards “the trump effect. The only drawback is it ruins phrases like “look, TDS in effect”. It would be “look, the Trump effect in...effect”.
  • NOS4A2

Sure, Ive also heard people say things like Trump doesnt lie, that he’s a good christian etc, or even just case by case you can tell with some people that the facts are just not as important as the teams or narrative. I was just curious if you also had a name like anti-trump hysteria (or whatever) for pro Trump side. It appears you do not. Pro-Trump hysteria I guess?
    Ive been using TDS to describe it on both sides, but apparently thats a trigger word for some. To avoid confusion, im leaning towards “the trump effect. The only drawback is it ruins phrases like “look, TDS in effect”. It would be “look, the Trump effect in...effect”.

I use anti-Trump hysteria to illustrate the reactionary response to Trump, not so much the people that believe it. But Pro-Trump and Anti-Trump suit me just fine.
  • praxis
    different phraseNOS4A2

• NOS4A2

Different phrase and different meaning.

Praxis - "Potato, Potahto". Same word spoken differently but means the same thing.
  • praxis
    Different phrase and different meaning.NOS4A2

That accomplish the same task. I could, for example, say that you have a weak character or say that you’re immoral. Both could be used as an ad hom attract in an effort to influence the weak minded (such as a trump supporter) to dismiss basically anything you say.
  • praxis
    — Badin

Could have fooled me.
    NOS4A2

Rather, you’re not fooling anyone.
  • NOS4A2

That accomplish the same task. I could, for example, say that you have a weak character or say that you’re immoral. Both could be used as an ad hom attract in an effort to influence the weak minded (such as a trump supporter) to dismiss basically anything you say.

I guess you would know, especially given your spineless efforts to search through my past comments looking for gotchas.
  • praxis

I’m probably one of the few who read many of your posts. If I read more of them, I imagine that my spineless work would be far more labor intensive.
  • NOS4A2

But you’re the only one who searches through another’s posts for what you believe are contradictions, even if the words and meanings are different, and then offer them as ad Homs and red herrings. Is that how a stoic grapples with arguments he doesn’t like?
  • praxis

Sorry, you'll have to refresh my memory, what is the argument that I don't like?
  • praxis
    I think that most Trump supporters only require the barest of excuses to dismiss embarrassing facts. Trump's recent public musing about injecting disinfectants, for instance, is easily accepted as being "sarcasm" by his followers.

This makes me wonder if the basic mission of people like NOS and nobeer is to help provide that suspension of disbelief to any Trumpies that may read negative content about their hero on this forum.

Clearly NOS is on a mission of some sort.
  • ArguingWAristotleTiff
    That accomplish the same task. I could, for example, say that you have a weak character or say that you’re immoral. Both could be used as an ad hom attract in an effort to influence the weak minded (such as a trump supporter) to dismiss basically anything you say.praxis

It may seem insignificant to you but NOS has a point. Let me take it out of the political setting and show you what I mean.
    Post Traumatic Stress Disorder came to be an actual diagnosis: DSM-5 309.81.
    In any field of medicine the Dx is hugely important as it helps define treatment protocol and standards. If a patient has a Dx of any kind and switches Doctors the Dx is a great place to start for the new Doc. Awesome!

With one caveat: mental health. There is a stigma placed on people who suffer from a mental health symptom which might be totally "situational" and over a period of time and learning coping skills to deal with it and the diagnosis is no longer applied. Just like a woman is diagnosed pregnant and carrying a baby does not continue being treated under a pregnancy Dx (8 weeks is what I think the Ob/Gyn can do) after the baby is born but it is part of their medical record. Which is protected (telemedicine has flexed the rules during the pandemic) under HIPPA laws and no employer has the right to those records with due cause and absolute concent from the patient.

However when you put a term like "disorder" or "syndrome" and attach it to a phenomen, by nature people look at you differently, as though your condition is permanent. That is why people in the medical field, mental health especially being considered, have changed the term to PTS ( which George Bush Jr.. emphasizes because of his work with the wounded warriors) as it allows the period of growth, a way to settle into a new way but one with no limits.

PTS if it applies but I pray that most warriors become PTSG: post traumatic stress growth.
    Simple terms carry a lot of meaning in both the medical field and society we live in.
  • praxis

Both TDS and TD accomplish the same task... what you wrote doesn't appear to address anything I've posted.
  • ArguingWAristotleTiff
    Both TDS and TD accomplish the same task... what you wrote doesn't appear to address anything I've posted.praxis

I am sorry for I can only provide information. I cannot be responsible for the readers comprehension if there is no honest effort to understand the spirit of my post.

I wrote the above because we do not currently have a "banging my head against the wall" emoticon. :flower:
  • praxis
    I cannot be responsible for the readers comprehension if there is no honest effort to understand the spirit of my post.ArguingWAristotleTiff

You're also not responsible for the reader's comprehension of the content of your posts.

Rather than banging your head, you could try to explain how the content of your post relates to what I posted. Assigning the attribute of "hysteria" rather than "derangement syndrome" to others may be a lesser attack, but it remains an ad hom attack.

Are you condoning the use of ad hominem attacks in this forum?
  • Deletedmemberzc
    "Potato, Potahto"NOS4A2

No one says potahto.
  • Deletedmemberzc
    I think that most Trump supporters only require the barest of excuses to dismiss embarrassing facts.praxis

I don't think they need any excuse at all. Trumpsters, like Trump, will say anything.

They've muddied the very notion of a fact. No doubt Trump's most potent tack and most dangerous legacy.
  • Banno
    It's common to claim that 'mercans don't do irony. It's not true, of course. They just don't do it all the time.

And sarcasm is irony with a dose of testosterone.

But, I gotta say, I can't see how Trump's disinfectant comments could be understood as sarcastic.

So, while 'mercans might understand sarcasm, I'm pretty sure Trump doesn't.

And that probably applies to Trumpians.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.