• BitconnectCarlos

You gotta cite your sources man because that's not what mine are telling me.
  • Streetlight
    I used your own stats :rofl:
  • BitconnectCarlos

The Heather MacDonald article? Where? You realize her thesis is that there's no epidemic of shootings of unarmed black people?
  • Streetlight
    Amazing. You're actually this dumb. I think I'm in love.

I literally used the numbers you quoted in your post (plus a quick google search re: demographic ratio of black::whites).

Or is it that you don't know how to do the calculation?

Either way I'm having the time of my life here :lol:
  • Kenosha Kid
    It's nearly impossible if not outright impossible to find stats on this. You've got some work to do if you're going to make this caseBitconnectCarlos

Statistics are easy to find. You are twice as likely to be shot dead by police if you are black. Beyond statistics, there's a large number of reported cases, often filmed, showing police brutality against black people. There are remarkably few white George Floyd's.

Jesus christ you are hyper-sensitive regarding a normal use of language.BitconnectCarlos

Way to miss the point.

Again, you need to find the statistics which prove that cops are just randomly murdering black people -- and only black people -- for no apparent reason/no apparent cause -- simply because they are black. And not only does this happen, but that this happens at an extremely high rate.BitconnectCarlos

Seriously? This is your cutoff for considering the possibility of racist violence in the police force? Like, none of them can also hate Mexicans? They have to choose victims randomly not opportunistically? It honestly amazes me what presumably otherwise intelligent people will say to avoid admitting there's a problem that the entire world is well aware of.
  • Kenosha Kid
    As of the June 22 update, the Washington Post’s database of fatal police shootings showed 14 unarmed Black victims and 25 unarmed white victims in 2019. The database does not include those killed by other means, like George FloydBitconnectCarlos

Right. Now how many black people are there in America compared to white people? And how many white people have been filmed unjustifiably killed?

The same source shows that black people are more than twice as likely to be killed than white people. Funny you didn't mention that...
  • Streetlight
    Right. Now how many black people are there in America compared to white people? And how many white people have been filmed unjustifiably killed?Kenosha Kid

Don't give him hints, you're spoiling the fun!
  • BitconnectCarlos

Does 14 shooting deaths of unarmed black in late June of 2019 constitute an epidemic? If there were 4 white men and 3 black men shot in the entirety of any given year you could also claim there was an epidemic of racist police officers murdering black people disproportionately. Very good use of statistics!

Blacks are also commit a disproportionate number of assaults and murders so they're unfortunately more likely to be in this type of situation where police are looking for a black suspect. You also only cited national statistics which may not be representative of where the bulk of the shootings are taking place.
  • BitconnectCarlos
    Statistics are easy to find. You are twice as likely to be shot dead by police if you are black. Beyond statistics, there's a large number of reported cases, often filmed, showing police brutality against black people. There are remarkably few white George Floyd's.Kenosha Kid

You realize there's a ton of dead white people you haven't heard of? There's also a ton of dead indigenous people you haven't heard of. Nobody cares unless it's a black man killed by a white police officer. There's actually a bunch of white George Floyds the media just doesn't care about them.

Twice more likely to be shot dead? Are they armed? Are you committing a crime? Are they a suspect for a crime? Why are they being shot? Did they surrender?
  • Kenosha Kid
    Twice more likely to be shot dead? Are they armed?BitconnectCarlos

Unarmed. You cited the source, didn't you read it?

Are you committing a crime? Are they a suspect for a crime? Why are they being shot? Did they surrender?BitconnectCarlos

Amazing how your demand for statistics ceases the moment you get them. I guess statistics weren't that important after all.

You realize there's a ton of dead white people you haven't heard of? There's also a ton of dead indigenous people you haven't heard of. Nobody cares unless it's a black man killed by a white police officer. There's actually a bunch of white George Floyds the media just doesn't care about them.BitconnectCarlos

Show me the stats.
  • Streetlight
    Does 14 shooting deaths of unarmed black in late June of 2019 constitute an epidemic?BitconnectCarlos

Lmao now you're just changing the point to something I never said.

How do you get by being so pathetic?
  • BitconnectCarlos

How do you get by being so angry all the time? Must be hard.
  • BitconnectCarlos
    Unarmed. You cited the source, didn't you read it?Kenosha Kid

The bigger picture here is that there were 14 unarmed black people killed by June of 2019. The article mentioned this was 63% lower than the number in 2015, so presumably in 2015 we're talking like 25 deaths of unarmed blacks.... in the entire year....of a country of over 300 million, of which over 30 million are black.

Yet your point this entire time is that there is an epidemic, that white cops just walk up and shoot black people without consequence because they just hate black people. The numbers we're dealing with are so small here... imagine if there were 4 unarmed white men killed and 3 unarmed black men killed yearly. Sure the number is disproportionate, guess you win....?
    I guess statistics weren't that important after all.Kenosha Kid

No you just need to do a more thorough job and dig into it a little more.
  • frank
    Blacks are disproportionately affected by police violence. There are more whites than blacks in america, so the raw numbers don't tell the whole story.

Why do you think blacks are disproportionately affected?
  • BitconnectCarlos

I hate to say it but probably because they commit a disproportionate amount of the crimes and in turn have a disproportionate amount of contact with the police.
  • praxis
    Blacks are also commit a disproportionate number of assaults and murders so they're unfortunately more likely to be in this type of situation where police are looking for a black suspect. You also only cited national statistics which may not be representative of where the bulk of the shootings are taking place.BitconnectCarlos

People of color are more aggressively policed, studies show. For instance, white Americans don’t use drugs less than black and brown Americans yet they’re disproportionately incarcerated for drug offenses.
  • Kenosha Kid
    The bigger picture here is that there were 14 unarmed black people killed by June of 2019. The article mentioned this was 63% lower than the number in 2015, so presumably in 2015 we're talking like 25 deaths of unarmed blacks.... in the entire year....of a country of over 300 million, of which over 30 million are black.BitconnectCarlos

How does this explain that unarmed black people are killed at over twice the rate of unarmed white people?
    Yet your point this entire time is that there is an epidemic, that white cops just walk up and shoot black people without consequence because they just hate black people. The numbers we're dealing with are so small here... imagine if there were 4 unarmed white men killed and 3 unarmed black men killed yearly. Sure the number is disproportionate, guess you win....?BitconnectCarlos

So your current logic is that you can choose when this all started and discount every killing before it? Because it's not just one year. It is every year.

No you just need to do a more thorough job and dig into it a little more.BitconnectCarlos

How is your selective approach to stats my problem?
  • frank
    I hate to say it but probably because they commit a disproportionate amount of the crimes and in turn have a disproportionate amount of contact with the police.BitconnectCarlos

What would explain their higher crime rate?
  • BitconnectCarlos

The answer is multi-variable and complicated. I just can't give a simple, easy answer. I think this is an important discussion to have, but is a slightly different from the subject of police shootings. The two are related, but obviously cutting that crime rate would decrease the number of black bodies at the hands of police.
  • Kenosha Kid
    I hate to say it but probably because they commit a disproportionate amount of the crimes and in turn have a disproportionate amount of contact with the police.BitconnectCarlos

Okay, so in that case it actually doesn't matter what the numbers and proportions are. If cops went on daily racial murder rampages, it would just mean that more blacks are criminals.

There was footage recently of a perfectly compliant press team being arrested by silent police. I say team, but about half the team were left alone. Specifically the white half. I guess the non-white half were criminals, right? And the white half not.
  • frank
    Sorry, I'll butt out. Did you see Jordan Peele's movie Us?

One of many factors.
  • Streetlight
    The rather miserable fact is that cops don't murder black people because they hate them. They murder them because they are indifferent to their lives. One could even say because their lives don't, er, matter. If only there was a movement that has been trying to get this rather basic point across somewhere...
  • Punshhh
    You have more optimism than me regarding the mental acuity of Americans.
    I was referring to UK folk, I'm already despairing about US folk.
    Exhibit A, above.
    I see it loud and clear.
  • NOS4A2

I wouldn’t worry too much about it. Rather than teach people to comply with police, saving lives, they teach them to feel indignant and oppressed, putting lives at risk. It’s no wonder they reserve this sentiment for members of only one race.
  • Streetlight
    Ah the 'liberatrian' cop bootlicker makes an appearance.

No doubt before he praises the head of state for being a great leader of government anytime now.
  • frank
    wouldn’t worry too much about it. Rather than teach people to comply with police, saving lives, they teach them to feel indignant and oppressed, putting lives at risk. It’s no wonder they reserve this sentiment for members of only one race.NOS4A2

This is the "they were asking for it" line of thought. This is used to blame women for being raped ('shouldnt have grown boobs, they deserved it').

It's popular and for many, honest, so it should be shoveled out into the light of day.
  • Streetlight
    If only Charles Kinsey had complied.

If only Breonna Taylor had, I dunno, shot herself so the cops didn't have to do it for her instead of sleeping or something.

And of course everyone knows that 'not complying' warrants extra-judicial murder on the spot.
  • Changeling
    Did you see Jordan Peele's movie Us?frank

I thought that movie was crap tbh. Get Out was way better.
  • frank
    thought that movie was crap tbh. Get Out was way better.Professor Death

I was touching on the effects of hip hop, which has been a topic of complaint for decades, like Spike Lee.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.