• Akanthinos
    How about a rabbit that gives birth to a house full of people playing trivial pursuit where they're arguing over whether Sally already answered the pie piece Arts and Literature question but Kevin can't find his stapler to fasten his letters from back home that were unstamped.Hanover

:roll:
  • Maw
    The Irish have better drinking habits, but America has better beer now.
  • Benkei
    People, by nature have immoral tendency. Selfishness and immorality cannot be removed from human nature simply by defining "human nature" such that it includes morality. Actual morality requires effort from the individual.Metaphysician Undercover

My response was short hand for saying you can't tell where human nature ends and morality begins. It's a failed enterprise and rests on assumptions nobody needs to accept because they'll be based on persuasive definitions.
  • Hanover
    I do like me a Guinness. It's my go to actually.
  • ArguingWAristotleTiff
    Besides, I think we ought to wean ourselves off relying on America and spend more on our own defense. Let you save money and go home. Everyone wins.Baden
    Add one more time in which you say the world doesn't need the USA's involvement. Like I have said so many times before: You don't have to ask US twice. Which is one of the main reasons I voted for Trump. So he could say things bluntly that past presidents would only express gently. We SHOULD pack up our troops from around the world and bring them home.
    I tell you what : how about Ireland handle the "NEXT" shit storm that happens on the world stage and we Americans pass the popcorn around and play armchair warriors. Sound good? :up:
  • Maw
    So he could say things bluntly that past presidents would only express gently.ArguingWAristotleTiff

Like wut? (Direct quotes pls)

how about Ireland handle the "NEXT" shit storm that happens on the world stageArguingWAristotleTiff

What's an example of a shit storm on the world's stage in the last 30 years that America solved (that it didn't create).
  • Akanthinos
    So he could say things bluntly that past presidents would only express gently.ArguingWAristotleTiff

No other president has had the stances on trade and post-war alliances that Trump does.
  • Maw
    That Trump "tells it like it is", is chicanery in the same vein as Bush being the guy you'd "rather have a beer with", or Reagan being sooo charismatic and funny.
  • Baden

As @Maw said you've been mostly creating problems not solving them. So, yes, go home and let the UN which can include troops from all nations handle things. When you try to do it on your own you tend to mess it up, Tiff. That's just a fact, most recently illustrated by Iraq. So, instead of being proud about messing things up as you seem to be, you ought to show a little humility about it. Then maybe we can come together under a common banner and make things work. It won't happen though until you can face up to reality and drop the fantasy that your interventions have been heroic in recent history.
  • Baden

Horrible stuff. You should stick to the grit juice.
  • frank
    Baby superpowers usually do screw up a lot in their early years. Historical fact.

The UN was our idea. It didn't really work out. Turns out these things just have to evolve organically. Your great wisdom on the topic will probably have to give way to nature.
  • Baden

The UN was probably the best idea you ever had. It's no great wisdom to recognize the destructiveness of treating it like the enemy as this administration tends to do, and the sense in more multilateralism and less unilateralism.
  • Akanthinos
    The UN was our idea.frank

So wrong. The UN was a mainly Canadian project. It's why it was going to be located in Montreal until New York forced its muscles.
  • frank
    True. I don't know how multilateralism would be possible right now.
  • frank
    So wrong. The UN was a mainly Canadian project. It's why it was going to be located in Montreal until New York forced its muscles.Akanthinos
    I love Canada.
  • Baden

The UN was FDRs idea as far as I know.
  • Relativist

"The UN was FDRs idea as far as I know."

Nah. The UN is "League of Nations" 2.0. It was Wilson's idea.
  • Akanthinos

Well, yes and no, St James Palace was really a multilateral effort. FDR gave it its name, and had the gravitas to put it in motion. But, and this comes from a book I red a terribly long time ago, so sorry if I cant provide quotes and ref, the administrative impetus was provided disproportionnately by Canadians. Thats why for a short time putting its headquarters in Montreal made sense (as also providing an appearance of neutrality).

Which makes sense, really, if you think about how the U.N. are perceived by americans. It is the quintessential Canuck enterprise of patient if somewhat ineffective political deliberation. And I guess that comes of as "weak and meek" to a certain strata of americans.
  • raza
    feel free to answer my question first.Benkei

I had answered. You simply appear to have not liked my answer.

Me; "The second is that it will embolden support for Trump and blow back into the face of London’s mayor"
    You; "How And why?"
    Me; "By revealing hypocrisy and immaturity of Khan."

It was hardly a nuanced or detailed question. My answer reflected that.
  • raza
    Replace the overt tax with a hidden tax, causing insult, annoyance, and possibly chaos in the international community by reversing the convention. That sounds more like madness to me.Metaphysician Undercover

What hidden tax?
  • raza
    The tariffs on steel and aluminum are because these are luxury items? I thought Trump deemed Canadian metals as a threat to national security and this was the premise which gave him the right to impose such tariffs, overruling existing trade conventions.Metaphysician Undercover

As I understand it tariffs imposed were to bring negotiators to the table to possibly eliminate tariffs at both ends.
  • Akanthinos
    Yes. And please keep thinking that, our auto industry really appreciates the effort.

https://money.cnn.com/2017/06/07/news/economy/ge-jobs-moving-to-canada-paul-ryan/index.html

"President Trump has blasted companies for shipping U.S. jobs to Mexico. But Canada is also aggressively luring factories from across the northern border. The Canadian government gave GE $2 billion in incentives to shut down in Wisconsin and move to a city in Ontario, Canada."
  • Benkei
    you're bloviating without the ability to give details. Whether it's taxes or this. You're a terribly boring person to talk to since there's nothing after scratching the surface.
  • raza
    you're bloviating without the ability to give details. Whether it's taxes or this. You're a terribly boring person to talk to since there's nothing after scratching the surface.Benkei
    I don't have some adolescent expectation of agreement. I think your avatar is very suitable, discriptive imagery, by the way.
  • ssu
    So now UK Prime Minister Theresa May has told what was Trump's advice/suggestion approaching Brexit.

Trump suggested the UK to sue the EU.

May couldn't hide her amusement when telling this.

One among other Trump ideas that fully show what kind of blissfully ignorant idiot he is. Like his proposal to Macron that France should exit the EU to get a trade deal with the US and that Russia and the US should create a joint task force to counter hackers and cybercrime.

Only clueless Trump supporters can think these are great ideas. But they tell clearly just on what kind of level Trump truly operates.
  • Metaphysician Undercover
    It is crude at times, rude at times but always honest.about how he sees things at the time, even if that position changes.ArguingWAristotleTiff

How would you define "honest" here, true to how he feels at that moment? If he feels like this is the right thing to say, whether or not it's true, he'll say it. And this is being honest?

What hidden tax?raza

The hidden tax is the tariffs. When there is tariffs on the raw materials, it rolls into the price of the product. The product is more expensive to the consumer because there is a hidden tax within, the tariff.

As I understand it tariffs imposed were to bring negotiators to the table to possibly eliminate tariffs at both ends.raza

They were already at the table, because the US, with the new president Trump, insisted on renegotiating NAFTA. The Trump administration threatened to impose the tariffs on Canadian and Mexican steel and aluminum if a deal was not reached by a self-determined, and unreasonable deadline. The tariffs were applied June 1. The pretext which allowed the tariffs to be applied under the existing NAFTA convention was "national security is threatened". This was taken as an insult by the Canadians. The US already has extremely high prices for aluminum and steel, and this is a contributing factor to America's loss of auto manufacturing, which is a key issue in the NAFTA renegotiations.
  • Shawn
    One among other Trump ideas that fully show what kind of blissfully ignorant idiot he is. Like his proposal to Macron that France should exit the EU to get a trade deal with the US and that Russia and the US should create a joint task force to counter hackers and cybercrime.ssu

I'm telling you its early stage dementia. I doubt he consults his ideas against any advisers.
  • Benkei
    I don't have some adolescent expectation of agreement. I think your avatar is very suitable, discriptive imagery, by the way.raza

I don't expect agreement you tin-foiled shill. I expect arguments and evidence.
  • ArguingWAristotleTiff
    I'm not ignoring the responses to my reply, just on my phone until I return to my ranch tomorrow :eyes:
  • raza
    I don't expect agreement you tin-foiled shill. I expect arguments and evidence.Benkei

My, my. Temer temper.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.